Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > It's 2019, What IS the Known OPTIMAL Spectrum for Resin/Terpene Rich Cannabis?

Thread Title Search
It's 2019, What IS the Known OPTIMAL Spectrum for Resin/Terpene Rich Cannabis? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 PM #1
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
It's 2019, What IS the Known OPTIMAL Spectrum for Resin/Terpene Rich Cannabis?

If you could customize an LED grow light for cannabis, what spectrum and dimming options would produce the greatest resin and terpene production? I've been reading and watching as much about LEDs as I can, but I still haven't a clue about spectrum and resin.

UV levels the same as 5k feet above sea level? Higher? Lower?
How much Infra-Red are the top of the line lights using, how does this effect terpene/resin production?
What discrete spectrums and at what power?
What else should I be researching?

Is there someone talking about this subject I have not run across yet? Do you know any data archives I can mine for this info? Greatly appreciate any threads to follow here.

Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 AM #2
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant future
I looked into this very subject a few years ago and have some papers on
the application.

Was side tracked by life stuff and let is rest.

Fascinating topic that kept my interest until I deemed the project
unable to scale up to larger grows as great genetics flowered under HPS
always seemed to trump the tech behind making average genetics pop with the
LED tech available at the time.

Maybe in a few years I'll look at led's again.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 AM #3
Illuminate
Keyboard Warrior

Illuminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant futureIlluminate has a brilliant future
Its 2019, people are still working out they gender let alone optimal photon output for cultivated cannabis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Nature View Post
I love how this is a plant we've been breeding and manipulating for hundreds of years, if not more, in order to serve our needs yet we've only just recently started taking notes.
Illuminate is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 AM #4
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
Blue light is converted into more.. smell.. than red light. Though people just comment on a different taste when a bluer spectrum is used, not a stronger taste.

UV is repeatedly called upon as the resin producer, then falls short of expectations.

Red is a bulking light. Not attributed to either. So less red would lead to more of each. Presuming as much of each was still produced, over that smaller area of bud. Which I can well believe. Any pheno that excels in quality above the rest, almost invariably has a shit yield.

Led grows seem to of shown us that resin isn't related to IR protection as once thought. Or UV protection. Just red and blue grow a plant that naturally makes resin. With nothing we do able to effect the quantity in a way we all accept is true.

There is a real hero on this site that likes resin production. I look forward to their thoughts
f-e is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM #5
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropped Cat View Post
Fascinating topic that kept my interest until I deemed the project
unable to scale up to larger grows as great genetics flowered under HPS
always seemed to trump the tech behind making average genetics pop with the
LED tech available at the time.
Interesting project, were you specifically chasing cannabinoids, terpenes or both? What was limiting in the LED tech at the time for your project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Its 2019, people are still working out they gender let alone optimal photon output for cultivated cannabis.
lol Anyone raised properly has zero questions about their gender. At least some people's kids are chasing optimal photon output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-e View Post
Blue light is converted into more.. smell.. than red light. Though people just comment on a different taste when a bluer spectrum is used, not a stronger taste.
Terpenes. Is the smell more complex, or simply 'more,' in blue light? Has terpene profile testing shown any direct influence on specific terpenes manipulating very narrow spectrums?

Quote:
UV is repeatedly called upon as the resin producer, then falls short of expectations.
I've read up on this a few times myself. The most 'concrete' study was done in 85 I believe? UV exposure, from seed to harvest, produced higher THC levels with higher UV levels. NLD types did better with the extreme altitude UV than WLD types. If I remember correctly.
Quote:
Red is a bulking light. Not attributed to either. So less red would lead to more of each. Presuming as much of each was still produced, over that smaller area of bud. Which I can well believe. Any pheno that excels in quality above the rest, almost invariably has a shit yield.
I'm thinking there's a minimum of red required for proper flower structure. Granted, the less surface area grown under the trichomes, the more resin per gram you're going to have.

Quote:
Led grows seem to of shown us that resin isn't related to IR protection as once thought. Or UV protection. Just red and blue grow a plant that naturally makes resin. With nothing we do able to effect the quantity in a way we all accept is true.
I've grown under SILs and they have little to no IR, as far as I know. Does cannabis require a minimum for anything? I personally don't see differences under the few SIL runs I have under my belt. My awareness is still very low on this subject, so I'm sure I missed something. lol

Quote:
There is a real hero on this site that likes resin production. I look forward to their thoughts
Me too

Greatly appreciate the insights and thoughts everyone. I'm still looking for any info on specific wavelengths and their effects. You can be sure I'll post any links I find here, it's easier for me to keep track this way. lol

Keep BEing Awesome!

Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 PM #6
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
You might have missed this in the lighting science thread, I think its what your looking for showing blue creates more cannabinoids. Using only blue light during the last like week of flower supposedly boosts cannabinoid content according to lumigrow, i dont think its worth it personally. As has been mentioned Red in the 662nm range promotes producing bud and blue in the 430nm range promotes cannabinoid and leaf production, stretching is caused by infra red. The ratio/balance between the 3 effect the type of growth you get.

I havent done a controlled side by side to compare UVA/UVB effects on total cannabinoids vs no UVA/UVB treatment so its still in the air.

Spectrum effect on cannabinoid production:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...8&postcount=19

Ratio Of Red, Blue, Infra red light effect on growth:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...4&postcount=23

Light Science Information (Sticky Thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth (Sticky Thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358186

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352413

Humic and Fulvic acid information:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352265

Last edited by Ibechillin; 02-05-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Ibechillin is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 PM #7
Dog Star
Why so Sirius!!

Dog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivor
If you wish resin packed plants and best terps then use organics,true soil mixes and made
them highly bioactive with diverse beneficial bacteries life and good quality mycorhiza..

terps are specialy dependant on rich micro life,when soil is enough bioactive then production of terps will be in a way it needs to be... micro life helps plant she achives optimum growth and in that case terps will be more concetrated,more stronger..

plant use terps to repel bugs as its very good known that bugs dont love terpenes
a lot,it fucks with their systhem,except bees that collect propolis that is full of terps..

bees also collect terps to repel bacteries and protect honey from pathogens of all kind..

so if you wish terps keep your plants happy in a healthy and alive medium.. the rest for you will do a microlife..

Its definitly not about light so much dependant how is dependant on microlife and to plants grow whithouth any stress..
Dog Star is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 PM #8
Douglas.Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Its definitly not about light so much dependant how is dependant on microlife and to plants grow whithouth any stress..
I'm working to keep the thread spectrum specific, thank you for sharing the other information.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 AM #9
Douglas.Curtis

Ibechillin, I missed your whole post and the bit in the lighting science thread. I'll be going back over this tomorrow. Thank you!

How much far-red is needed for a 4x4 space of plants? If I can get these on a timer and dimmer I will. Doubtful, but something to ask for anyway.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM #10
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
The research ive done on far red lighting suggests you only need the high far red ratio to simulate the sunset conditions outdoor during the last ~30 minutes of the lights on period for the stretch response.

In the link I attached at the bottom it explains daylight is around a red:far red ratio of 1.15 (15% more red light) to 1.37 (37% more red light). At sunset the red:far red ratio is closer to 0.7 (30% more far red light).

The link explains that by covering greenhouses with blackout tarps before the high far red sunset lighting reaches the plants final height could be reduced up to 25%.

Link to study on red:far red ratio and plant growth:

https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/vi...icle-p1609.xml

Light Science Information (Sticky Thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth (Sticky Thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358186

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352413

Humic and Fulvic acid information:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352265
Ibechillin is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.