What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1000W digital Ballast Blew fuse

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Not sure why it did this. Any insight is appreciated. No breakers flipped off.

Should I replace it with a 10amp or 15 amp fuse? 1000 watts is 9 amps so I figured a 10. I can't read the writing on the old fuse but it looks like 15 amps. The fuses I have ordered are 250V as is required, and are fast blow, so it will be pretty sensitive.

Sidenote you can see that the one clip that is supposed to hold the fuse was squished close, so the fuse wasnt held properly, you can see some melted plastic on the fuse. It has been running ok for a year or so until now.

Akp0sb.jpg

AkpjgT.jpg

theother

Well that is terrifying!! Id be inclined to avoid that brand after seeing this. I assume you didn't re fuse it in the past with an improper fuse size. Seems the factory fuse didn't blow fast enough to avoid melting, thats undesirable.

Cvh

Supermod
You mean that the fuse wasn't also properly placed because one clip was squished close?
Was the fuse placed under that clip?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yes, I have never changed fuse before, so it came like this out of factory. Im assuming the clip was a bit bent, and then someone just pushed in the fuse without looking, and it bent the clip entirely closed and sitting against it. Again I don't know what would have made the fuse blow in the first place. Usually a blown fuse is the cause of some underlying problem, Im not sure if this bent clip was the problem. I doubt it as its been running for over a year like this.

Ok so if a 10a fuse will get blown so easily, then I would go with a 15a, but that would need almost 20amps to blow which is over 2000 watts, and wouldn't 2000 watts hitting a 1000 watt ballast and bulb cause damage ?

my circuit is 15 amps too so at that point my breaker is gonna switch anyways! I guess I will try a 10a and see how it goes, then step up to 15. The numbers just dont make sense to me.

H

HazeOil

fix the clip and put in new fuse.. make sure its the right fuse.. done

H

HazeOil

from the look of the pic the fuse is still good.. clean off the melted plastic on the fuse and fix the clip and try again with same fuse

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Forget the fuse. Get a new balast. That's just me.

Its still under warranty incase there is something wrong with it. but the manual suggests to replace the fuse if it is not turning on. Which was the problem, it is not powering on.

Also I lost the fuse, new ones show up today though, I will put in a 10 amp fuse and see how it goes.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I guess we're just not as good a growers as fred. Had to give up my newborn baby for this dinosaur, no way Im giving up on it. Next light is LED anyways. Put in a 10a fuse. have it turned down to 75% and it was running good again yesterday. Will go up to 100% in 2 weeks when I got new plants under it.

Thanks guys.

al70

Veteran
fuse your ballast and carry on, any more questions, jump in here,, you're fuse ends carry the same power/heat, all round, so obvious it's gonna melt the plastic that has a couple o hundred volts tryin to pass through, goodluck

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Not sure why it did this. Any insight is appreciated. No breakers flipped off.

Should I replace it with a 10amp or 15 amp fuse? 1000 watts is 9 amps so I figured a 10. I can't read the writing on the old fuse but it looks like 15 amps. The fuses I have ordered are 250V as is required, and are fast blow, so it will be pretty sensitive.

Sidenote you can see that the one clip that is supposed to hold the fuse was squished close, so the fuse wasnt held properly, you can see some melted plastic on the fuse. It has been running ok for a year or so until now.

View Image
View Image

just by looking at the fuse in your picture, it does look like the fuse is blown.

Have you checked any manual that came with your ballast? If your ballast uses fuses, that info would most likely have been mentioned in there. You could try checking the website of who ever built your ballast, to find the right fuse.

Latest posts

Latest posts