Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > UV light supplementation, Who's using it with noticeable results?

Thread Title Search
UV light supplementation, Who's using it with noticeable results? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2018, 12:06 AM #1
nxsov180db

nxsov180db is on a distinguished road
UV light supplementation, Who's using it with noticeable results?

Who's using UV with noticeable results? When do you introduce the UV into the grow? What on/off times are you using and do you change your timing as the grow progresses? How many 2' or 4' UV bulbs are you using for your size grow?
nxsov180db is offline Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 AM #2
Cork144

Cork144 is a jewel in the roughCork144 is a jewel in the roughCork144 is a jewel in the roughCork144 is a jewel in the roughCork144 is a jewel in the roughCork144 is a jewel in the rough
side by sides from what i remember back in the day did show marginal resin increase but it slightly reduced yeild due to the additional stress the plants experienced

Last edited by Cork144; 07-16-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Cork144 is offline Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 01:40 AM #3
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
If can you grow outside you won't have to supplement.

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 05:26 AM #4
CannaRed

CannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud of
Skunkman says he never saw any positives from adding uv. I'll try to find u a link in the morning.
CannaRed is offline Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 02:57 PM #5
CannaRed

CannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud of
This is quote from sam_skunkman
Quote:
I ran a test a bit like this 20 years ago.
I had several different clones of high THC varieties, and industrial hemp, and a wild cannabis variety from the mountains.
I placed each clone in rows of five so they had a chance to be exposed to too high of levels, medium, and low levels, depending on the distance from the light sources.
To cut to the chase, no increase compared to controls without UV-B.
In fact the plants closest to the lights were a bit zapped and had lower plant weights and lower Cannabinoid levels.
(In my own opinion using organic soils to increase root mass, which gives Cannabis with improved terpene yield and better Cannabis yield is much better then UV-B supplement.)

Tonygreen,
As for On page 31 if you scroll down you get into some good stuff and an interesting hypothesis about thc. They quote Lydon and Pate, but Pate did my experiments with me
setting them up and measuring the UV-B levels, as well as testing the results on our GC.
He was unable to increase the THC levels. Lydon thinks CBD can be converted to THC, but most Cannabis grown in the west has no CBD to start with. Lydon also only dosed the plants with UV-B for only 40 days, part of those when the plant was still in veg. He also said no increase in THC in hemp plants so I guess CBD does not get converted to THC by UVB?
We tried several times, zero THC increase. I have never seen any lab results that showed an increase in THC from UVB exposure, I have never seen Lydon's work replicated, except when I tried but got no increase in THC.
As for "Marijuana Optics" anyone that reads it and thinks it is science needs to stop smoking so much.
Get all three of Lydon's papers and try to repeat the work, if I remember correctly he did not even use clones for the work, for sure in the case of Lydon's 1985 Thesis, I think the 1987 paper also. I will go find the papers and re-read them....
CannaRed is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 PM #6
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

I can see Denali from my front window so when I did my UVB tests I started with the level calculated to be present at the top of the mountain.
The leaves were actually brown and shriveling by the second day.
Dropping the level down until the plants quit dying found no increase in THC production at all.

Between 50 uw (microwatts) and 200 uw the plants lost 3% to 20% of their yield.
Most plants left it at that, smaller and slower growth.

Some plants, while not increasing THC, delayed the onset of the high. And in addition, the high lasted longer. This happened more with select Sativa hybrids, although it is hit or miss because the breeding is done for THC levels rather than UVB sensitivity.

I use UVB from seedling to harvest, a couple weeks at the end never did make any difference, it is a whole life experience or the plant does not respond.

I like creeper weed and use 75-100 uw on all plants, the price is small. This is not enough for severe stunting but adequately creeperizes susceptible plants.

My current favorite is Obi-Wan, it sucks up UVB like a vacuum grabs popcorn.
Phaeton is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM #7
hyposomniac

hyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I can see Denali from my front window so when I did my UVB tests I started with the level calculated to be present at the top of the mountain.
The leaves were actually brown and shriveling by the second day.
Dropping the level down until the plants quit dying found no increase in THC production at all.

Between 50 uw (microwatts) and 200 uw the plants lost 3% to 20% of their yield.
Most plants left it at that, smaller and slower growth.

Some plants, while not increasing THC, delayed the onset of the high. And in addition, the high lasted longer. This happened more with select Sativa hybrids, although it is hit or miss because the breeding is done for THC levels rather than UVB sensitivity.

I use UVB from seedling to harvest, a couple weeks at the end never did make any difference, it is a whole life experience or the plant does not respond.

I like creeper weed and use 75-100 uw on all plants, the price is small. This is not enough for severe stunting but adequately creeperizes susceptible plants.

My current favorite is Obi-Wan, it sucks up UVB like a vacuum grabs popcorn.
Hello Phaeton,
I used a 4ft t5 uv bulb a few times. About 95µW/cm² according to the bulb.
No idea about thc levels, and didn't really notice any creepers.
But I noticed some heart palpitation weed in the uv batches that I didn't get in non uv batches, which I didn't care for.. any observations there?
Not a clone to clone comparison either, but same strains from same seeds.

How about fatter gland heads? I seriously didn't need a scope on a couple of those uv plants.
I switched the uv t5 to a red bloom bulb and moved it down, same cmh main lamp, and the nugs under the red really plumped and hardened a bit extra. I'll stick with that before uv again.
hyposomniac is offline Quote

Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM #8
z00t

z00t will become famous soon enough
I USE UVB FLUO TUBEZ NOTICED SOME INCREASE IN TRICHS I THINK IS GOOD TO HAVE TO COMPLETE LIGHT SPECTRUM I CHANGE EM EVERY 4 YEARS AT START U HAVE TO PUT EM FAR AWAY CUZ THEY STRONG AFTER A FEW YEARZ THEY LESS STRONG. KEEP EM IN FLOWER ROOM ALL TIMEZ
z00t is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:12 PM #9
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00t View Post
I USE UVB FLUO TUBEZ NOTICED SOME INCREASE IN TRICHS I THINK IS GOOD TO HAVE TO COMPLETE LIGHT SPECTRUM I CHANGE EM EVERY 4 YEARS AT START U HAVE TO PUT EM FAR AWAY CUZ THEY STRONG AFTER A FEW YEARZ THEY LESS STRONG. KEEP EM IN FLOWER ROOM ALL TIMEZ

I'm curious how you tested for "more trichs"?
And...
What kind of trichs were there more of?

Non Glandular Cystolithic trichomes don't add oil value to the plant but they do block & disperse light.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 10-30-2018, 09:13 PM #10
Cvh

Cvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant futureCvh has a brilliant future
Bump.

Anyone else has experience with using UV(B) during flowering? Did you notice any benefits?

Is it worth the investment?

I read so many conflicting opinions about additional UV lighting.
Cvh is online now Quote