What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fuck Landlords

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I try to do the "right" thing; I try to find a place in the legal state of Maine for my garden this year. I talk to lots of landlords with houses to lease, lots of them on ample land in the country.

I even tried to be honest and up front about my plans for an outdoor garden. I figured better just find someone who is okay with it than go through all the bullshit drama over nothing later. Ugghhh.

Almost every landlord I talked to (and I've been at it a while now) up there is set in their ways against cannabis. I almost imagine they'll die old and bitterly set in their poorly thought-out opinions. Not to mention their mentality of "I am the LORD of this land" nonsense.

The ones open to it either wanted to just find out more or ended up having stipulations or previously unmentioned circumstances that made the house/land unsuitable anyway. FUCK.

I guess they don't want tenants who pay their rent on time, in cash, and keep to themselves.

So fuck landlords, for all their high & mighty bullshit as well as their inability to actually think about anything. They're almost like horrible small business owners.

...and fuck the asshole growers who give the rest of us a bad name.

It looks like this guerrilla is staying in the sticks. Trying to deal with landlords... it's always fucking something.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That sucks. Its so sad, the propaganda worked on a lot of people. Keep fighting the good fight, my friend. Just try to enjoy the ride.... Looking forward to 2017 season! Its GROW time! :)

PdxFarms

You have to look at it from both sides.
Honestly you can't be narrow minded considering what your asking...think about it

I've been on both sides.

Coming from someone who has worked his hands to the bone to own a home... I don't see myself being ok with a random renter laying out a plot in my back yard. Unless I knew the renter personally, I myself wouldn't want the attention that it could possibly bring, and the intentions of the grow. Let alone that puts your property at risk on a federal level. Slim chance it would be an issue but I'm not losing my hard earned investment when the feds decide to disregard the state's legalization and roll on you. So, I can understand where a homeowner may be coming from. A legal registered grow can also bring issues with refinancing, selling a property down the road being most banks that loan are federal.

Honestly isn't paying off here, your best bet in renting unfortunately is digression. I know you want the peace of mind knowing you have permission, but that's hard to come by even with legalization sweeping the state's. Even when you did find someone ok with it, usually comes at a cost because they know how hard that is to find. It's still too early to think people should just be open to it. There are many that never will be.

Surfgimp

^^^ That.

I grew outdoors on rental property for, ...cough...ah-ehmm, awhile. I finally convinced the landlord I was so busy that he could only do his yearly inspections in Feb because of my busy schedule. :tiphat: And this guy was seriously OCD, his grandpa built the house, he a was disabled / real estate agent.

Ten years ago I finally scrounged enough to put a down payment on my own slice of heaven. It took 2 years to find the right property, undeveloped, permitted / built by ME; private well (unlimited water), solar elect, great sun / soil / security.

Would I let someone else, ie a renter, grow here? FUCK NO!:moon:

JVonChron

if you are gonna go big, then offer more rent like aforementioned. or rent + small %...most people can't resist the $$. if you are going more moderate tell em you'll build a green house and no one will see anything. DIY greenhouses are cheap and probably useful/necessary in maine?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

Otherwise are you saving up for a down payment? I'm in the same boat but definitely looking to buy.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Find a place in the countryside...pay your rent on time (so landlords don't need to come by), keep place looking nice, utilities paid, etc, set plot away from house or anyone seeing it. Or, grow indoors.

panick503

What are you offering them? In Oregon land prices that are marijuana friendly exceed regular rentals by 3 times. If it's not that way in Maine, offering a landlord 3x rent up front might change their minds

Absolem

If the Feds come in and raid the property and the renter tells them the landlord is on it too and has permission to grow the landlord will lose everything they worked for over ONE renter and their one year lease.

Easy7

Veteran
Still a federal crime.

The big boys usually aren't interested in small domestic grows, but could be. They have massive amounts of everything seeping thru borders. Trump Still has to build his Chinese wall knock off.

Gry

I live in the LA area and have a landlord who dearly loves to charge people extra for any and every thing. Extra person in your unit, that will be 300 more on top of regular rent. Get a new car, it will be 150 a month for the space. A new pet for your kid, no problem, just an extra 50 a month will cover it. Grow inside, no problem for an extra 100 a month.
I would imagine 1/3 of what he brings in is "under the table".
What has saved me is he pays and treats his help poorly and they do not like him much.
They have looked out for me very well. Amazing what a few kind words and a couple bottles of water can do at times.
I have been here over ten years and never paid one extra penny, but I have got to say: Be real careful of 'what' you sign and who you deal with.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Most growers destroy rentals, that's why so many are reluctant to rent to us. Buying my.own home was the best possible move, EVER! No nosy landlords or the like.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you offering them? In Oregon land prices that are marijuana friendly exceed regular rentals by 3 times. If it's not that way in Maine, offering a landlord 3x rent up front might change their minds

First mistake was telling landlord exactly WHAT you are doing.

You can camouflage plants outdoors pretty well hiding them behind wood stack, in "tool shed", etc. As other posters voiced...growers usually do trash a rental, and it's still a federal crime.

Be under the radar and NEVER mention your intentions. Even in CO, I never told anyone about what I was doing. Still don't.

Easy7

Veteran
I don't think it's smart to break the law overtly. It's a federal crime.

Not a great way to rely on income either.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Thanks for chiming in, everyone.

Lots of you are right -- from now on I won't be mentioning a fucking word about what my intentions are.

Learned my fucking lesson.

Also, the feds are not gonna come after someone's property because a tenant has a 30 plant (state) legal garden. They're likely not going to even go after the grower. People are fucking paralyzed by fear and propaganda. I actually feel bad for the people who walk around fearful as can be of every unlikely possibility.

And also: fuck the growers who trash places. They're the pieces of shit who give the rest of us a bad name. They're also the ones who are really only in it for the money and the money alone.

In short, I'm disappointed that so many people are paralyzed by fear and propaganda and/or only give a rat's ass about making money.

Goddammit.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Head up to the mountain/lakes region, it would be your best bet. But yes, you are under no obligation to divulge any information on your plans to grow on the property. As far as I understand the only thing the landlord can dictate is whether or not you can smoke inside the home. But as far as growing, they have no say!