What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light leaks all night every night - 0 Herms!

TerpeneDream

Hey all,

So I tested a theory with my first grow, and I wanted to share with y'all..

A lot of people talk about light leak, herms, and end up spending a lot of time and energy avoiding such…

I think I've cracked the case!

So I heard from a gentleman here that his sativas kept herming until he added some infrared light which is present in the night sky, undetectable to the human eye, but an apparent trigger for plants that it's "night"

So, for my indoor grow, I had a huge south facing double window which let in plenty of moonlight…

I didn't seal my rooms, which is just off my living room. It took light leaks almost every night.

0 herms!

Whatch'ya all think?!

Intimea

No surprise...the moon has 1 l/m² that is the minimum limit for the photosynthesis...otherwise outdoor there'd be only hermies.

Intimea

Sorry for my english, I don't know how to explain...

The intensity of the light of full-moon is 1l/m², that is enough for you to look around or guard your garden, but isn't enough for the plants to start the photosynthesis....

You could put a lamp in a box and turn it on in the night time if the intensity is lower than 1l/m².

For example, the LED of the fan(stand-by mode or operative mode) or other instruments doesn't disturb the ladies...and they're red.:2cents:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Also, not all genetics are hermie prone..

Exactly, for example, Exodus Cheese is so stable almost nobody has reversed her and those who did, used a chemical cocktail, light leaks will not do it, sit her in a disco under the glitterball, no hermies. Other strains just need a second's view of the light from a distant star and they look like an advert for Ffyfes.

Doesn't change the genetic factor at all, fact is susceptibility to any stressor triggering a hermie response has nothing to do with the plant actually seeing the stressor or not, it's there in its genetic code whether it does or doesn't get triggered.
Like any other expressed trait it's either turned on or isn't triggered or not, just because it can trigger doesn't mean it will every plant.
I've flowered out half a plant while its other half kept vegging and I even took cuts while it flowered out n didn't see a single nanner, doesn't mean tons of other plants wouldn't have thrown them out by the boat load immediately though just cause the 1 individual didn't.
Point being unless you're experimenting or know a specific individual plant you're using definitely isn't going to trigger because of such stimuli why would ppl risk all the time and cost and energy on growing a plant just to risk it at final stage with not making a space light tight.

cheers,.........................................gps

TerpeneDream

Good points guys..thanks

I only grew 5 different clones (Grapefruit, Chemdog, SuperSkunk, Bubblegum, and Purple Nepal)

I think this theory is perhaps a good start, but not concrete.

GSPfan

Veteran
I've had a grow where I had a bad light leak. I found the plants yielded less and had fluffier buds but no herm issues.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Something about the sweet spot of timing for light leaks, around
2 or 3 weeks in flower that triggers a hormone imbalance in
cultivars so predisposed to herm traits.

But I suppose if light leaks are continuous, every night, perhaps
that is the thing. The plants acclimate?

interesting findings.

TerpeneDream

Something about the sweet spot of timing for light leaks, around
2 or 3 weeks in flower that triggers a hormone imbalance in
cultivars so predisposed to herm traits.

But I suppose if light leaks are continuous, every night, perhaps
that is the thing. The plants acclimate?

interesting findings.

Hmm…Maybe.

I was thinking that the infrared from the night sky told the plants it was night…which may be a more powerful signal to the plants than some incandescent light bulbs…

Latest posts

Latest posts