What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

using diff light cycles,nute levels,temps to affect male /female ratios

budsnblunts

Veteran
I've accidentally forced females into hermies a few times.. Is that similar to introducing a male part to the plant via lights/nutes? I used some urea at one stage in my garden on some clones I had grown before. Knowing they didn't have the tendency to hermie already. Well I only presume it was the large doses of urea (nitrogen based shit) I had used weeks prior to them flowering...

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Alternation Of Generations.

All plants undergo complex sexual life cycles involving the production of both spores and gametes. This is known as the alternation of generations.

Sporophytes produce spores. The sporophyte plant is diploid (2n) but the spores they produce are haploid (n) due to sexual recombination called meiosis. The spores (n) from sporophytes (2n) grow into gametophytes (n) which are either male (n) or female (n).

Gametophytes produce gametes - sperm and eggs. Gametes (n) fuse together in fertilization to become a diploid (2n) zygote (fertilized egg). The zygote (2n) grows out into an embryo (2n) and eventually the sporophyte plant.

Thus we have the alternation of generations:

Sporophyte -> Spores -> Gametophyte -> Gametes -> Sporophyte -> ……

Most plant structures we view today are sporophytes. Large diploid structures like vegetables and cannabis, the trees we climb and graze and build with, all visibly sporophytes. The gametophytes are reduced, some to such an extent it takes a microscope to find them. But they are there.
Originally posted by mr fista https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=196103

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
while we have Chimeras attention....

does the sporolating meiosis produce unique individuals by recombination of haploid cells?
or in other words: are any plants identical to their parent even through selfing?

Meiosis involves two successive divisions of a diploid (2N) eukaryotic cell of a sexually reproducing organism that result in four haploid (N) progeny cells, each with half of the genetic material of the original cell. Through the mechanisms by which paternal and maternal chromosomes segregate, and the process of crossing-over, genetic variation is produced in the haploid cells.

Meiosis occurs in diploid cells. The chromosomes duplicate once, and through two successive divisions, four haploid cells are produced, each with half the chromosome number of the parental cell.
Meiosis occurs only in sexually reproducing organisms. Depending on the organism, it may produce haploid gametes, which do not divide further but instead fuse to produce a diploid zygote; or it may produce haploid spores, which divide by mitotic cell cycles and produce unicellular or multicellular organisms.
In animals, where the somatic (body) cells are diploid, the products of meiosis are the gametes.
In many fungi and some algae, meiosis occurs immediately after two haploid cells fuse, and mitosis then produces a haploid multicellular "adult" organism (e.g., filamentous fungi, algae) or haploid unicellular organisms (e.g., yeast, unicellular algae).
Plants and some algae have both haploid and diploid multicellular stages. The multicellular diploid stage is the sporophyte. Meiosis in a sporophyte produces haploid spores. These spores alone are capable of generating a haploid multicellular stage called a gametophyte. The gametophyte produces gametes by mitotic cell cycles.

http://www.phschool.com/science/biology_place/biocoach/meiosis/overview.html

and

Full Answer

At the beginning of mitosis, chromosomes become visible in the nucleus of the cell. The nuclear membrane dissolves and special fibers, the spindle, line the chromosomes up across the middle of the cell. Pairs of chromosomes move to opposite ends of the cell and new nuclear envelopes form around them. The chromosomes decondense, becoming invisible again as the entire cell splits down the middle. The result of this process is two identical daughter cells.
The beginning of meiosis is similar to mitosis, except that homologous, or like, chromosomes pair up. The chromosome pairs consist of one chromosome of each parent. Like mitosis, the nuclear envelope disappears and spindle fibers form to align chromosomes and pull them to opposite ends of the cell. The alignment of homologous chromosomes in meiosis is random, meaning that daughter cells can get chromosomes from either parent. This is one source of genetic diversity in sexual reproduction. Another source is that the homologous chromosomes, while in their pairs, trade genetic material with one another, further increasing genetic diversity. Meiosis ends much like mitosis, but instead of identical cells, the result is two distinctly different daughter cells.

http://www.ask.com/science/products-meiosis-plants-7974bd5b2364f1ac

just curious...

Latest posts

Latest posts