What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lab Testing Phenotypes.

testymctester

Veteran
Flowering a plant is kind of stressful on it for not being able to find a male to re produce with so would certain pheno's do better than others? I guess what I'm saying is, certain female phenos will be able to handle the stress the better? Therefore creating a better plant?

Yeah man, but it's not just the sensimilla technique that creates stress for the plants though. The genetics and breeding have a huge impact on what type of environment the plant will thrive in. An award winning keeper in my garden might only be ok in your garden. That's probably a little extreme, but different environments, feeding regimens, etc. bring out different traits in different strains.

The best way to find out what produces the best terpene/cannabinoid concentration in your garden is to try some strains other have had success with and fine tune your setup. You can either optimize your environment for a specific clone/phenotype (monocrop) or optimize the environment so that most strains/genotypes perform good enough.

Terpene combinations and concentrations are probably what you are interested in with the lab testing. A lot of labs are testing for these now, but it is still fairly new to the industry. Most people understand that high THC concentrations are one type of potency, but there are other factors at play which we don't quite understand yet. Terpene and cannabinoid combinations are very interesting in terms of individual's perception of pleasure, potency, etc.

S

sativaking

Yeah man, but it's not just the sensimilla technique that creates stress for the plants though. The genetics and breeding have a huge impact on what type of environment the plant will thrive in. An award winning keeper in my garden might only be ok in your garden. That's probably a little extreme, but different environments, feeding regimens, etc. bring out different traits in different strains.

The best way to find out what produces the best terpene/cannabinoid concentration in your garden is to try some strains other have had success with and fine tune your setup. You can either optimize your environment for a specific clone/phenotype (monocrop) or optimize the environment so that most strains/genotypes perform good enough.

Terpene combinations and concentrations are probably what you are interested in with the lab testing. A lot of labs are testing for these now, but it is still fairly new to the industry. Most people understand that high THC concentrations are one type of potency, but there are other factors at play which we don't quite understand yet. Terpene and cannabinoid combinations are very interesting in terms of individual's perception of pleasure, potency, etc.

Thank you for that reply TT.

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
See i used to think it would be something like that but i have literally got monster plants from certain strains (very disease resistant) and ppl have hated it. Then i have had tiny plants from the same strain that you think look like nothing and ppl have loved it, very confusing.

Kind of like Khloe vs Kendall:biggrin:

testymctester

Veteran
Hey TT has anyone compared lab tested Cannabinoid and Terpene results of Phenotypes that ppl love to the phenos no one likes?

I'm not sure, but I doubt too many people test phenos they don't think are very good. Testing can cost $200/sample for a full workup in my area. It would not be very cost effective to test every pheno that comes out of the garden. Most people I know might select a few keepers from a seed run using the five senses and then lab test those to pick the final.

People generally like herb that looks good, feels good, smells good, tastes good, and has a nice psychoactive effect. Just like wine or beer though, you can check all those boxes and some people will still hate it. :biggrin: