What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Sprout Tea the EASY way

G

Gr33nSanta

I saw someone on another thread saying his barley stayed under water the entire time with air bubblers. I came up with a way of doing big batches of Seed Sprout Tea and it seems to work very well.

The pics are self explanatory, I have 3 x 1/4 inch air pipe air stones, so lots of oxygen. The important part is to focus your oxygen so that all the seeds get some.

I change the water once or twice within the first 48 hours and simply wait for the taproots to be as long as the seeds. Into the food processor it goes and after filling the ziploc bags (1/5 to 1/4, around a cup or less) I place them in the freezer, I figure I use about 1/2 to 1 cup per 5 gallons of water.

I take em out 12-24 hours before I want to use them. I just started using SST and been using it every watering and everything seems to love it so far.!

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
coulda been me.... I keep em underwater.... just open tubes though.... airstones irritated me... I'd rather chop off a foot of tube every 3 months than clean an airstone every time.... I ain't froze none yet though....

2014_02_09_1_ab05538a512c47150bd9.jpg

G

Gr33nSanta

it was your post indeed! Thanks a bunch! You let yours go a little longer than I did, should I let the taproots get as long as yours or mine look fine as well^? Thanks again!

LBOrganic

Thanks for the info I like the idea of freezing... gonna give this a go i hate sprouting seeds constantly so freezing a large amount at a time would be nice.

G

Gr33nSanta

yeah cheers buddy! well correct me if i am wrong, but i have read recently that what we are really looking for when making SST is the enzymes, we are not brewing for microbes like a compost tea, and from my reading the enzymes are not affected by the freeze.

Someone mentioned on a thread that they no longer use blackstrap molasses since they started using SST, apparently the sprouts convert into sugar for the microbes as well.

and please correct me if i am wrong!!

I have been growing organically for a couple years (only my very first run was with general hydroponic) and this whole recycling organic living soil thing is fairly new to me. All though some of my plants are on their 5th run in the same container!

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
amylase, arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, cellulase, chitinase, dehydrogenase, phosphatase, protease, and urease enzymes... not to mention the growth hormones...

mrrangz

can a variety of seeds be used as a combo along with the barley seeds for their enzyme contents producing a powerful stimulant vs barley itself?

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
mrrangz just try some different combinations. I've used a few different mixtures all with good success so far. It's fun.

can a variety of seeds be used as a combo along with the barley seeds for their enzyme contents producing a powerful stimulant vs barley itself?

Yes. Mung, Alfalfa and many others can be used. All seeds produce enzymes and growth hormones after sprouting. Make sure you throw away the initial rinse after 24 hours as it contains growth inhibitors.

V

shredGnar

Is there a post that explains the basics of SST?

So I see after you've got the seeds sprouted you put them in the food processor. Do you just add a cup per 5 gallons and water? Or is this added to a compost or worm casting tea and brewed?

Thanks guys

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
copy/paste.... credit goes to ClackamasCootz.

Sprouted Seed Tea v2.0

Weigh out 2 oz. of Barley seed and remove any foreign matter by the seeds into a large jar and fill it half-way with water and agitate to wash the barley. Pour off loose husks & dirt that float to the top. Drain in a colander. Repeat until everything has been removed.

Soak the seeds in water for 8 - 10 hours. Drain the seeds and weigh after completely draining the water off. Assuming you started with 56 grams, you want to hit a minimum of 84 grams at the end of these processes.

Let the Barley rest for 8 - 10 hours and then soak for another 8 hours, drain and weigh. Repeat if necessary but that's not too unlikely.

Take a piece of cloth and you want to use something as 'raw' as possible like hemp cloth, organic cotton, linen, canvas, flax, etc. - just check with a large fabric store. If you buy a piece that is a square it probably helps or doesn't.

Wet your cloth, wring out and fold it 2 times. During the rest cycles this is where you want to let the seeds rest. You want moisture surrounding the seeds but not water.

Once you hit 84+ grams, spread your seeds again in the middle of this folded piece of fabric, place that in a brown paper bag - 55F - 65F ambient temperatures will move this along quickly.

When the shoots inside the seed have grown the length of the seed you're done. You're not growing sprouts but rather activating the enzymes and the compounds in the endosperm as described in the post above.

Take these seeds and put them in a blender and some water and get it to a puree to the extent possible. Using 56 grams to start will give enough puree to make 5 gallons of tea.

Water your plants with this diluted tea. This will give you far, far more enzymes than the straight sprouting method.

Here's why you wouldn't want to soak any seed (only) and try to use the soaking water: many seeds are encoded with enzymes on the hull's exterior and the immediate interior. These enzymes prevent germination unless the conditions are right, i.e. they're growth inhibitors. Not Plant Growth Regulators but out and out inhibitors.

Once a seed germinates, the developing endosperm creates other enzymes that neutralize the inhibitors, converting them into a food source for the emerging tap-root."

a.k.a. you want to discard the soak water and rinse thoroughly before you germinate and refill the vessel with h2o..or else you will be doing the opposite of what we want.

The lazy mans option for enzymes is to use young coconut h2o. it is much more expensive than barley (both are still way cheaper than bottled nutes!) but contains many similar goodies.

RE: young coconut water

"The big ones are Cytokinins, Gibberellins (GAs), Enzymes (in particular amylase, arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, cellulase, chitinase, dehydrogenase, phosphatase, protease, and urease), Indole-3-Acetic Acid (IAA)......

Young coconuts are embryos and the water will begin to adhere to the inside of the shell and solidifies forming coconut meat or whatever it's called.You can expect to get around 12 oz. in a fresh one shown in the original post. Ripe coconuts will contain very little water and much lower benefits because they're now contained in this seed's endosperm (coconut meat).

Coconuts are one of the richest sources of Cytokinins which accelerates cell division in the plant which differs from how PGRs function."

shredGnar

copy/paste.... credit goes to ClackamasCootz.

Thanks for that c4.

If I'm feeding with guano tea can I add this to the brewed tea or is it best to use with plain water only?

Do you use it the entire life of the plant or only veg, or only flower etc?

Shred

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I personally disagree with guano. no comment further. SST's can basically be used in every watering... every foliar... as its about growth hormones and enzymes, it has absolute 0 for N P K B Si Ca et al.... so it wont burn anything...

shredGnar

I personally disagree with guano. no comment further. SST's can basically be used in every watering... every foliar... as its about growth hormones and enzymes, it has absolute 0 for N P K B Si Ca et al.... so it wont burn anything...

I'm new to the whole organic scene...

What are the cons of using guano??

I use fish emulsion and seaweed as well if no tea is ready..

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Guano is expensive, everything in it can be obtained by cheaper sources... its harvesting is detrimental to the locale it originates from, and there are some pathogenic concerns...

Fish emulsion will have concentrated levels of heavy metals and most nutrients already extracted... you want fish hydrolysate... which you can make at home with a fish and a lacto culture....

shredGnar

Guano is expensive, everything in it can be obtained by cheaper sources... its harvesting is detrimental to the locale it originates from, and there are some pathogenic concerns...

Fish emulsion will have concentrated levels of heavy metals and most nutrients already extracted... you want fish hydrolysate... which you can make at home with a fish and a lacto culture....

I sent you a pm...

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

Thank you bros for the info!!

bluhazy

thx to all for the nice info, is necessary to process the barley sprouts in a blender in order to make a tea or can I make a tea from the barley sprouts as they are?

Peace BH

TheOutlawTree

I've been using barley, alfalfa, and corn SST's on my current indoor organic grow. These tea's are no joke, the plants love it! I am looking forward to using SST's on my outdoor crop next season.

My understanding is that the barley is an organic "hygrozyme" like product helping to break down dead roots and provide other beneficial enzymes.

The Alfalfa SST has triacontanol in it... Some hydro products that contain triacontanol are Canna Boost, Superthrive, grow more jumpstart, and bloombastic. I'm using it in veg, and day 3 and 10 of flower.

The Corn SST is supposed to have a bunch of cytokinins in it, which stimulates cell division and makes side branches stronger for bigger flowers. Coconut water also has alot of cytokinins in it, but it can be a little more expensive than using corn SSTs.

I'm no organic expert, but i am super happy with the way my plants are growing indoors with 100% organic cootz mix, SST's, EM-1, Freeze dried coconut powder, Aloe, And weekly wormcasting / mollasses aerated tea's.