What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

genetically indica dominant growth, with sativa dominant High

Toosweet

Hi, all,
is it possible to have completely Indica dominant plants in vegetation
but completely sativa dominant in the way it produces THC, Sativa high?
Please forgive me if the answer is obvious, But My knowledge of Genetics is very very limited and the knowledge I do have stems from crossing tomatoes some annual flowers and squashes over the years at my allotments, I have learned that when you use the F2 seeds almost every kind of variation between the Parents is possible, for instance one Pheno I had was a gardeners delight type tomato on a potato leaved type, (amongst many other variations)
So I know that its all possible with vegetation and fruits, But I Have no knowledge when it comes to the THC production, and if there has to be a direct link to The dominance of the type vegetation, or can we make indica plants with sativa high n vice versa?
Hope Im makeing sense , I know what I mean haha?

C

chazz michaels

I think C99 is basically 'supposed' to be a sativa high with an indica style growth pattern.

Not super thick leaves, but short height and short flowering period.

idiit

Veteran
lots of breeders/pollen chuckers looking for this combination :) .

for commercial growers the sativa high effects, strong potency, good-great bag appeal, beefed up bud structure as well as yield and hardiness all rolled up in one phenotype is very desireable.

i chose mandala's satori bat pheno. it's a nepalese indica dom. pheno easily found in satori.

no pictures yet but the results from three hybrids look very promising.

i've got acapulco gold/satori bat, zamalish (zamaldelica pheno) /satori bat, and burmese/satori bat in from this years od grow.

in seedlings the hybrids with strong satori dom are easy to spot.

at first without a cure the satori seems a little heavy for my desired effects but as they cure the high is getting more sativa dom.

too early to conclude much until they cure up but preliminary results are very positive.

ace seeds, cannabiogen, mandala, reeferman as well as other esteemed breeders use nepalese for the results you are looking for. kandahar might be another option.

world of seeds has some nepalese getting good reports. mandala has satori (nepalese sativa/nepalese indica) available. there are probably other vendors making nepalese indica available if you search.

Toosweet

Wow Thank you, So from your answers , I guess I can conclude , that it is indeed possible to Transfer sativa highs onto an indica bud,
Cheers

idiit

Veteran
^^ i don't know about that. i do know that nepalese bred by nature has sativa like highs with an indica type bud structure that translates well in hybrids.

nepalese indica already has the desired attributes.

my signature statement: nature decides. man selects. know the difference says it best. mankind selects, nature decides. select a good nature bred strain that translates its desired attributes into hybrid progeny is the path i'm taking.

blastfrompast

Veteran
C99 is what your looking for I think.

I'm just about to crop 5 I have under a 1k HPS, not sure the origins of the cut as he runs in different circles than me, but every other cut has been legit. Not sure if I am sold on the aroma...sweetish fruity..but with a hint of that airplane modelling glue smell, or those hard rasberry candies...Hard to describe....Still has a few more days..Doesn't frost up as nice as my white widow tho.

Talk about chunky bud growth tho....but super long pistles..like really long, they didn't curl like the WW either...

Buddies run of it was great smoke tho..

Toosweet

^^ i don't know about that. i do know that nepalese bred by nature has sativa like highs with an indica type bud structure that translates well in hybrids.

nepalese indica already has the desired attributes.

my signature statement: nature decides. man selects. know the difference says it best. mankind selects, nature decides. select a good nature bred strain that translates its desired attributes into hybrid progeny is the path i'm taking.

Thats interesting stuff, will have to check it out, some years back I grew some Ultra haze, , the first time I sparked a spliff with it I was outside n camping, suddenly WHOOOOOOOOOSHHHH! jeez I felt like I was riding a magic carpet in the clouds, , lol but clear n smooth n happy, just perfect for me, I started from seeds ,, so maybe its possible to find it again, I had a mother but had to hide for a while n lost it, even though it took about 14 weeks 12/12 It was worth it for personal stash, I always wondered if an indica type plant could produce that kind of high

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Since growth form is commonly associated with the high, it is likely that the traits are linked. Some important growth genes on a chromosome are probably located adjacent to important genes that code for psychoactive effects. And so in breeding it's difficult to separate the two.

Toosweet

Since growth form is commonly associated with the high, it is likely that the traits are linked. Some important growth genes on a chromosome are probably located adjacent to important genes th at code for psychoactive effects. And so in breeding it's difficult to separate the two.

Yeah That Makes sense ,
I suppose otherwise apart from the purist, by now all grows would be short fat, fast n heavy yielding

G

gloryoskie

To be fair, hybrids kind of give you the middle of both
yield and effect.

Nothing wrong with that, per se.

When a broadleaf can faithfully reproduce the effect of a 16 week
narrow leaf in 8 weeks, then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I keep trying, though. My lungs hurt I try so much.

Max Headroom

Veteran
not grown it myself, but Bushmans is supposed to be an african sativa with short stature and short flowering time.

idiit

Veteran
To be fair, hybrids kind of give you the middle of both
yield and effect.

Nothing wrong with that, per se.

When a broadleaf can faithfully reproduce the effect of a 16 week
narrow leaf in 8 weeks, then I'll be a monkey's uncle.

^^ i pretty much agree with this statement. the satori nepalese indica isn't as sativish in high effects as the satori nepalese sativa for example. it does provide really good bud formation without clouding up the high too much. good mold resistance, frost,excellent potency and spicy taste included. not bad.

my acapulco gold/satori bat came in fully mature sept. 15. big, heavy, frosty, potent tasty buds with a sativa high after couple weeks cure time. still a little heavy in the high effects but very acceptable considering all important aspects.

again, nepalese seems like a go to strain for many breeders desiring the above attributes.

it's a very good starting point. if someone (me for example) wanted to continue working the line for great indica like bud structure and a very clean, clear, pure sativa high effects then a manga rosa/satori nep bat looks very promising. i'm in the process of doing this now.

B

Bag

ive grown many sd ibl crosses that i loved to chop early when the trichs were clear and cloudy and it got me so sativa high , many different moms with the same sd ibl dad ive grown out and i swear it can be like smoking electricty when i smoke some early chops , i love it so so much, its hard to explain to people that dont like that type of high, but me i love it.
i think its strain and pheno dependent cause some plants suck chopped early , some are way better early than finished proper . it is what it is ,

Toosweet

^^ i pretty much agree with this statement. the satori nepalese indica isn't as sativish in high effects as the satori nepalese sativa for example. it does provide really good bud formation without clouding up the high too much. good mold resistance, frost,excellent potency and spicy taste included. not bad.

my acapulco gold/satori bat came in fully mature sept. 15. big, heavy, frosty, potent tasty buds with a sativa high after couple weeks cure time. still a little heavy in the high effects but very acceptable considering all important aspects.

again, nepalese seems like a go to strain for many breeders desiring the above attributes.

it's a very good starting point. if someone (me for example) wanted to continue working the line for great indica like bud structure and a very clean, clear, pure sativa high effects then a manga rosa/satori nep bat looks very promising. i'm in the process of doing this now.

good luck, sound like you know what yr doing! I hope you post the results :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
The answer can be found in the Ciskei line, as well as Bambata. Apart from the leaves, a totally indica structure but a sativa high. Then there's the 60 day strain mextiza, but it's structure remains quite 'sativa'.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Maybe there is an association of some kind of both types of high with certain odor chemicals being produced. Maybe it's cannabinoid and can be bred in to indica. A volunteer seedling from a NL5xHaze x Sour Bubble dusting came up last grow with indica leaves and buds only, and retained the fruity odor, high, aggressiveness, and high bract count of the mother sativa being smoked right now. That was surprising because the sour is so strong both genetically and in person in certain BOG gear.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Ah, I could add Bangi Haze and Panama.

I think the effect is up to the quality and amount of terpenes, rather than cannabinoids.

waveguide

Veteran
i remember one poster got all happy with his revelation, "the high i've been chasing in sativas i finally found in harvesting indicas early".

:blowbubbles: