What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

keeping males longterm

My female plants always tell me they only see the male plants as just a friend. How do I fix that? Makes it hard to make create seeds.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boyd's question: What traits am I lookin for in a keeper?
Easier cut/paste than trying to describe. http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2003/03/07/2788

When looking for great male traits:
"..... any male plant that grows too tall or too fast is usually eliminated. The reason for this is that most plants which dedicate so much energy to fiber production generally are best for making fiber. The exception to this rule is when an over-productive plant also exhibits a number of the desirable characteristics mentioned later.

The next criteria for elimination is borrowed from Michael Starks’ book, Marijuana Potency, and involves stem structure. Large, hollow main stems are sought while pith-filled stems are eliminated. Backed by years of observation, I agree that hollow stems do seem to facilitate THC production.

Another consideration is the type of floral clusters that develop. Even on males, clusters which are tight, compact and yet very productive are desired over an airy, loose structure. These observations are most notable in the indoor environment. Outdoors, the differences in stem and floral structures are more difficult to discern.

The next and perhaps most important characteristic to examine is that of odor, flavor and trichome development. Again, the females will prove themselves by their finished product, but the males are a bit trickier.

I usually begin with a Sativa female and an Indica male. It has been my observation that the females primarily contribute the type of flavor and aroma and the males contribute the amount of flavor and odor. The “Sativa/Indica” aspects of this formula are mainly apparent in the P1 or very early filial crosses (to about f3). Beyond the f3 generation the apparent “Sativa/Indica” ratio in a given individual is less important than the odor/flavor and trichome development aspects it exhibits. Therefore, one of the main aspects to consider when selecting a male is the depth of its aroma and flavor. (If you are seeking to develop a low-odor indoor strain you might wish to begin with a low-odor Sativa male and an Indica female.)

With the remaining males I usually employ an odor/flavor test. Using males at least two or three weeks into the flowering cycle (and preferably beyond if a separate, isolated space is being used), a sort of “scratch-and-sniff” technique is first employed. With clean, odor-free fingers, gently rub one plant at a time, on the stem where it is well developed and pliable, above the woody part and below the developing top (approximately at the spot where a clone would be cut). The newer leaves at their halfway point of development may also be rubbed and sniffed.

These are the places that the earliest chemical signatures of a developing plant present themselves, and it is our intent to gently disturb these chemicals and inspire an odor/flavor reaction on the fingers and on the plant. By examining these various aromas in this way one may be able to determine certain desirable (and also undesirable) characteristics. After clearing one’s palate and refreshing one’s fingers, another plant may be tested.

The finalists are best compared for at least a week and at different times of day, to determine who performs best over a period of time.

A few of the “good” aromas which I have found to be associated with both male and female high quality cannabis are: sweet, floral, fruity, berry, wine/brandy, other savory spirits, skunky and spearmint. Some of the “bad” aromas associated with both male and female cannabis are: grassy, chlorophyll (green), celery, parsley, carrots, cinnamon, pepper-mint or wintergreen, gear-oil and gasoline. Some of the aromas that are considered “good” from females but not necessarily from males are: woody, cedar, pine, citrus, tropical fruit, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, garlic and astringent."

That's how we select...in a nut shell....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My female plants always tell me they only see the male plants as just a friend. How do I fix that? Makes it hard to make create seeds.

Plenty of info....enter "pollenating plants" on Thread Title Search, up at top/middle of the page.

R.A.W

Well another alternative is, you can flower the male and after polliniation, cut trim of the flowerclusters and reveg. it. Or just flower cuttings from the male for pollination. Put the male in the flowerroom, remove it before the clusters open, cut the brances, put them in a wide glas of water. The wide glass of water gives you an angle away from the glas, making it easier to collect the pollen. One good way of pollinating the buds is targeted pollination. Remove the female that is to be pollinated from the flower room, mist the plant except for the bud /branch to be pollinated. Also mark the branch that is to be pollinated so you know what branch your working with. Use your finger to apply the pollen to the bud. You could use a Q-tip, brush etc... but the finger method works well since the pollen sticks well to your finger and then to the sticky buds. Wait a while for stray pollen to fall of, maybe blow air at the pollinated bud away from the rest of the plant and put it back in your flower room, with the pollinated branch away from the rest of your plant, Maybe close to your exhaust/carbonscrubber. If your afraid of stray pollen cover the branch branch with a large rigid plasticbag and tie it closed. The rigid bag will give the the bud enough oxigen and so it won't mould. You could make a couple of small holes in the bag so moister can escape.Remove the plastic bag after 24-48 hours. But personally, I wouldn't bother. You could make a see through flower box for the entire plant but that limits the size of the plant, you could use a seperate flower area but that uses up space. Depending on the size of for an example; a pollinated side bud and type of plant you'll probably end up with atleast 20 and above seeds.