What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone only strains - one in a million?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
glue#4 is a 1:4 seed.
glue#5 is a 1:1 seed.
marketing=wins

wrong way to look at it imo. these dudes popped hundreds of beans in their careers im sure before finding it. if you pop that many herms, accidents, purchased as well as free and gifted seeds youll be most likely a lot like everyone else on here who has done the same, without a a find close to that. they got lucky. most seed dorks never find anything close to that successful of a keeper.

its not marketing on the #4. i cant speak to the #5 it hasnt been seen by me. im sure its nice but the 4 is fucking epic. seriously an amazing chem hybrid strain. exceptional doesnt quite capture how awesome that cut is to run. its a real unicorn. again only after a long career of fishing did they earn that one. props to them btw:tiphat: gave it out to be shared by all.
def a staple in my garden. yeehaw.

Facts is facts bruh. They popped 4 seeds to get gg4 they popped 1 to get gg5. I don't see any other way to look at it but what it is. I'll leave the daydreams and magic to you guys.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
For the sake of a good argument

I argue that less are needed than we think.

Of course buying more tickets will increase your chances of winning the lottery, but only one ticket is winner. It only takes one. A chip and a chair...

Imagine a roulette wheel... Now just because the number 4 came up 3 times in the past 1 hour doesnt mean that it is more likely to come up than any other number. The past has nothing to do with the probability of the outcome.

Just because you flip a coin and it gives heads, you are not "owed" a tails to balance it out.

Last edited:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
so the more times you pop a few seeds the more likely you are to find a rare gem. my point is these guys did it a thousand times im sure and this one time they find one. it isnt to say that the 1 in a million seed they found would happen every four original gg4 seeds. gg5 nobody not in the inner circle has even seen it so as to whether its a keeper by everyones book is to be seen. if you believe that there is a seed line that is popping a ratio of 1 in four being elite then i got some seeds to sell you. lol

What you're arguing is called a non sequitur. The thousands, hundreds or even dozens of OTHER seeds they sprouted in the past have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the 4 seeds it took to get to gg4 or the one seed it took to find their gg5. Sam didn't pop 10,000 random seeds to find his keeper, he popped 10,000 of a specific cross. Stop trying to dismiss the luck of the draw by talking about all the seeds they may have popped in the past. I tried to germ over 200 seeds this year so far and i just dropped 20 more last night, are you telling me some of them are gonna win the cannabis cup simply because I'm due?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
no but im saying unless you are popping seeds for a lifetime youll not likely find something in that upper crust of whats been found. have fun with the seeds man. its cool. i aint claiming to know what youll find and yes of course the other seeds dont affect luvck of draw but those who try more, tend to find more.
btw good luck with the pheno hunt i hope you find something epic. its always fun to crack enough seed that its worthy of being a meal. lol 200 should be fun.

I thought popping 1,000 beans was the magic number to find rare phenos or mutations... Ive never busted 1000 beans at once so what do I know?

LostTribe

Premium user
clone only means the creator couldn't breed a stable line...

the problem now it seems is that there is less and less stable breeding passing around than ever before. Young closet hacks trying to breed with little to no population sizes and diversity. Meaning a greater gene frequency due to the smaller population.

Seems most of these new kids are unaware that they are actually breeding weaker and weaker generations. Weaker as in less stabilized. Some traits are even being killed off due to using these smaller population sized breeding groups.

Any hack can call something "clone only" it takes a real breeder that works out his new generations multiple times before finding dominate and recessive alleles. Then using that information to produce a stabilized line is an entire next step in the process. This is then compounded for successive generations.

Most nowadays don't even bother to inbreed for specific traits. Who wants to spend extra time back crossing for 4 plus generations just to reach some stable progency when they can just "make seeds for profit" ie chucking pollen. The result is weaker genetics with less selection from small group size.

Hopefully things will get better once legalization permits those capable of real genetic work are able to gain better access to higher plant count numbers and less restraints on research.

LT

Last edited:
I thought popping 1,000 beans was the magic number to find rare phenos or mutations... Ive never busted 1000 beans at once so what do I know?

yes. and no. i don't think there is any magic number. but you probably want more than 10 if you want to see all the different recombinant gene expressions. depending on how inbred a plant is you might not see a certain expression but once in every 1000 plants or so. for instance maybe there's a gene for bacon and maple syrup smells. but you only see it in 1 out of every 100 plants. you would prolly wanna pop and grow out 500 plants to find 5 that smell like bacon and maple then assuming one of those is male use it to cross to the females so that next generation you can find the same in like 1 out of 75/50 plants. repeat and repeat till you can find that pheno in 1:4 or something. 1:10 maybe are good chances.

on the other hand maybe you want a purple plant with green buds and pink pistils. those maybe show up in 1:5 plants. in this case you don't need to pop 100 beans to find it, you only need 5, and you might go 25 or 50 seeds just to get your stabilization faster by recombining the strongest most purple leaves, green buds pink pistils plants together till you can get 1:4 or better 1:2 plants like that. all depends on what you're looking for.