What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

increasing oil production via needle pokes????

Even LST is more harcore than S&M, it's basically like breaking a girls arms and legs for your own enjoyment... the whole metaphore is wrong! has me thinking some really fucked up shit... Back to the topic though, I used to work with a guy who swore by the nail insertion method, he specified rusty nails though, he said the iron oxide triggers a hormonal change. Never have tried it, never really thought of it until I read this thread actually. I'm with Ojo on this, treat them nicely and they will respond in kind. I can see the logic behind the syringe thing but I just wouldn't feel right hurting my girls like that...

purefiregenetic

Look people i am a grower by trade but i am not growing at the moment for legal reasons, i do intend on growing in the future if you must be so fucking nosy to know... On top of that i am not a newby at all, i used to post all of my grows on another site i cant mention because its blocked out, i swear some of these people at ICmag... you guys act like "if your not in my club and i dont know you how could you ever be a good grower" could you guys ego's get any bigger? I promise you i have grown buds bigger than all of our faces, so cut out the kiddie bullshit okay. I was asking a serious question because the comment had about 40 thumbs up beside it so aparently there was something to this... idiot.

im not aiming that at everyone but its clear which comments go to whom, peace out
what a Jack Wagon

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
its a known fact that when cannabis is attacked by spider mites it releases a new medicine for humans... i donot see how this is too far off... I c it the same as lst or super cropping.... when it attack or damaged it sends signals to repair or fight or grow from other portions of the plant producing multiple plants...

R

rick shaw

its a known fact that when cannabis is attacked by spider mites it releases a new medicine for humans... i donot see how this is too far off... I c it the same as lst or super cropping.... when it attack or damaged it sends signals to repair or fight or grow from other portions of the plant producing multiple plants...

So...putting mites ON your plant will help? Whats the 411 on powder mildew

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
hmm... i'm no botanist or biologist, so could well be wrong, but i always considered the nail n stem thing as a bit of urban legend, simmilar to hanging the plant upside down with the roots on so all the trich juice can flow from roots to the buds. that is clearly bs. in my experience pests don't make better buds, they actually stop the ripening process or slow it down. also in my experience the best trichome coverage is on healthy green leaves, mite infested leaves tend to get yellow and trichomes don't seem to grow on them as much. still to me the nail is not as bad as pests, so might give it a try once with a test plant or 2. but the idea of sticking them with a syringe is too much, wtf? how can any living organism benefit from such?

highonmt

Veteran
hmm... i'm no botanist or biologist, so could well be wrong, but i always considered the nail n stem thing as a bit of urban legend, simmilar to hanging the plant upside down with the roots on so all the trich juice can flow from roots to the buds. that is clearly bs. in my experience pests don't make better buds, they actually stop the ripening process or slow it down. also in my experience the best trichome coverage is on healthy green leaves, mite infested leaves tend to get yellow and trichomes don't seem to grow on them as much. still to me the nail is not as bad as pests, so might give it a try once with a test plant or 2. but the idea of sticking them with a syringe is too much, wtf? how can any living organism benefit from such?

I am just plain dubious of all torture methods, meja is of course released when the plant is injured and this does seem to increase the Concentration of cannabinoids, but as in everything there is a balance. Too much stress= lower yeilds and thereby lowers overall production of cannabiniods. If you really want a more potent herb grow a more potent strain and treat it well. One thing that definitely increases cannabiniod production is a bigger plant at a given age.

I have been defoliating plants recently on two afghani plants grown in different rooms to test the technique and I know ripping all the leaves off the plant definitely causes the release of methyl jasmonic acid, but differences in potency is not noticeable at all. I am in the middle of a 2 month continuous high volume double blind study
pipe.gif
smoking the stripped one day and the unstripped the next and there is no difference in potency. But if sticking needles in yer plant makes you think your weed is better well enjoy doing it...HM

highonmt

Veteran
how about yields of the defol plants against the non-defol??

It did increase my yield about 15 percent just due to more tops in the light I think. The bag appeal was slightly better on the unmolested sister. Larger buds and longer buds. I am running another test right now. I need to try this on a strain that stretches more because the stretch is being limited in the afghani. Here is a pic of my current coco grow. Afgani trimmed far left untrimmed far right, the untrimmed plant is already taller after 7 days of flower. The other two plants are sck x p. urkel and another reservation labs gem.
102_4545.jpg

if you find defoliation hard to compute then you don't understand the pyramid effect that causes the last weeks of a marijuana plants growth to be the most per day that it has ever produced simply because it is creating more nodes and calyxes from multiple tops that have now grown multiple tops that will continue growing more multiple tops and so on. a leaf only pushes one individual node so a big water leaf is bushing to bottom node up on a set of buds, if it is shading more than it is pushing it needs to go. i personally do not ever defoliate until 4-6wks in flowering. because before the calyxes are everywhere it doesnt change much. just my two cents on defoliation

Cobra Fist

its so cute when growers have this strange attachment to fan leaves... THAT is something i cant compute

WHY?!(rhetorical question)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
guys, we're getting off topic here but if you want to compare pics and yields of your defol plants and my non-defol plants then you're welcome to....

i understand the law of conservation of energy - and that's one big reason that i remove as few leaves as possible.

i had considered starting a thread here about defol but not sure - the other one in hydro is a car-crash and very short on actual proper evidence imo.

its so cute when growers have this strange attachment to fan leaves... THAT is something i cant compute

WHY?!(rhetorical question)

if you find defoliation hard to compute then you don't understand the pyramid effect that causes the last weeks of a marijuana plants growth to be the most per day that it has ever produced simply because it is creating more nodes and calyxes from multiple tops that have now grown multiple tops that will continue growing more multiple tops and so on. a leaf only pushes one individual node so a big water leaf is bushing to bottom node up on a set of buds, if it is shading more than it is pushing it needs to go. i personally do not ever defoliate until 4-6wks in flowering. because before the calyxes are everywhere it doesnt change much. just my two cents on defoliation

sso

Veteran
..dunno, i have gotten scales, an insect that basically does what you describe, it sticks a long needle (its mouth) into the plant and starts sucking (they build a shell around themselves and stay there)

the former time i got them, they bred beyond control and really sucked the life out of the plants but i did not notice improvement in potency (in fact it sucked that time)

the latter time i got scales i managed to keep them few on each plant (were perhaps 3-4 new ones on each plant total, each time i checked)

and , nope, not better weed nor bigger buds nor more resin.

kinda find it a curious way of thinking "hey , torture your plants bit to make them perform better"

highonmt

Veteran
guys, we're getting off topic here but if you want to compare pics and yields of your defol plants and my non-defol plants then you're welcome to....

i understand the law of conservation of energy - and that's one big reason that i remove as few leaves as possible.

i had considered starting a thread here about defol but not sure - the other one in hydro is a car-crash and very short on actual proper evidence imo.

I think you should do it VG this forum is a bit lighter on zealots than the others and I will offer up my grow I'm running as a point of evidence. I do really think that this technique is effective on the right strains. The plants have to stretch sufficiently in early flower or the yield appears to decrease a bit due to a slower stretch. I did this on two indy/sat crosses and it improved the yeild quite a bit but this session I am running two landrace afghans and the undefoliated plant is taller and bulkier although it does have fewer bud sites than the defoliated specimen. Cheers.
HM

R

ran outta love

I've heard a competing myth where it was supposed to speed up maturation instead of increasing oil production. Like if you needed to chop in a couple of days but the plant didn't look done you'd stick a nail through the stalk.

Seems unlikely. Sure if you poke the plant full of holes it will die and trichomes will then also die ("turn amber"), maybe that has fooled someone.

Leeroy&Co:

Distressing the plant,with physical torture to increase THC production has been disproved numerous times.You can distress it with nutrients and light.

Why is someone who doesn't grow,posting hearsay on an 'Cannabis botany and advanced science' thread.

If your a 'theoretical' grower,"I heard" if you hang the plant upside down the THC will be squeezed out of the roots,now spread more hearsay

This 'gem' of a thread belongs in the new grower forum

Funny that its been disproved? it's worked for me several times:chin:, bending,stretching,tieing,sometimes even snapping the main necks half way has produced extra fat buds "for me".

This is how i keep my plant count down to stay out of shit If i get busted.

Instead of a million plants in a SOG,(My country's law's do you on a plant count) I instead have under three plants that get bushed out,topped, and use LST,pinching/bending/snapping and I end up with numerous budsites as If i did have a sog going. That way if i get busted, i get done for 3 plants and under and that keeps me out of jail. :D I definagtly disagree, and do not think manual handling(if done in the right way) is a problem at all. :tiphat: