Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > The Library > New Charles Bukowski and John Martin Sabotaged Bukowski

Thread Title Search
New Charles Bukowski and John Martin Sabotaged Bukowski Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2019, 02:12 AM #11
Raho

Raho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to beholdRaho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by therevverend View Post
A new book was just released, Bukowski on Drinking. A collection of his works on his favorite topic, getting drunk. I think it contains letters, poems, essays, stories. I know it's got some unreleased stuff along with material that's appeared in past collections.

They've released other collections like this, Bukowski on Love, Bukowski on Cats. Didn't bother to pick those up but I'll get this one. I'm sure the editor had a lot of good material to choose from.

I'm gettin this for sure. Thanks for the thread Rev

Everything x oBoy
Raho is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 PM #12
therevverend

therevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant future
If I didn't recommend it earlier I should now, check out the Bukowski.net website.

https://bukowski.net/

It's amazing for Bukowski fans. Every few weeks there's new unedited poems taken from manuscripts, you can find out about Bukowski merchandise for sale, people that knew Bukowski stop by, it's a great site to browse around on a rainy day.

There's a collection of pictures there that's awesome, Bukowski had an amazing face, beautiful in it's desecration. There's a database of most of his work, when it was published and what it's appeared in. Recordings of his readings.

The caretaker of the website explains the deal about John Martin rewriting and ruining Bukowski's poetry after Buk died. Much better then I've tried to here.

https://mjpbooks.com/blog/the-sensel...sparrow-press/

It's got comparisons between the poems as Bukowski wrote them. To the versions that were printed after he died when John Martin was able to fuck them up. I'll copy one here as a quick example from the site. The poem is called Basic. It was published in Slouching Towards Nirvana but the original manuscript as Bukowski typed it is very different. This was written around the time Bukowski was dying.

The original manuscript goes:

basic

the short poem
like the short life
may not be best
but generally
it's
easier.

this is a short poem
from a
long
life

sitting here
looking at
you

then
leaving.

The version re-written by John Martin goes:

basic

the short poem
like the short life
may not be the best thing
but generally
it's
easier.

this is a short
poem at the end
of a
long
life

sitting here
looking at
you
now

then
saying
Adios!

Ha ha I'm not a poetry expert or anything but the second version makes me want to puke. Adios?
therevverend is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 PM #13
therevverend

therevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant futuretherevverend has a brilliant future
Oh man I just saw the list of stories, letters, and poems from On Drinking. I've decided I have to buy it, the ones I've already read are excellent and the new ones look really good. These new editors are dedicated and into Bukowski, they know their shit.

For sometime I've been planning on going through my Bukowski material and writing about his opinion On Cannabis. He usually has a smug superior attitude, cannabis is all right but it's weak compared to alcohol. What's cool is that he talks about smoking and attitudes from the 1930s to the 1970s, it's hard to find info on cannabis earlier then 1970. A lot of his attitude comes from putting down his audience, the hippies. He loves having a combative relationship with his readers and talking down cannabis and talking up alcohol is one way to do it. But it's obvious he's not one to pass once a joint gets fired up..

I've always had the exact opposite opinion, when I was in my teens I had an epiphany. I realized that alcohol is all right but it numbs you, cuts you off from your true emotions and reasoning. While cannabis connects you to your spirituality, feelings and emotions. At that moment I realized my drug of choice would always be cannabis.

And my feelings about alcohol also stretch to other drugs, opiates, cocaine, all those types of drugs numb you and detach you from your body and your feelings. Cannabis is unique in that it intensifies your connection to your body and your feelings about life and the world around you.
therevverend is offline Quote