What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not really enjoying the switch from joints to vaping

Brother Nature

Once you go PAX you never go bax. Heh, totally untrue, I love my joints still. But, I have both the pax 2 and 3. The 3 has an oven for rosin, which I use all the time. If I put a big glob in there, it will go round and round until everyone is happy.

Flavor (of dry flower) on low setting is fantastic, but you have to dial up the temp to get really high. I know this statement won't be popular with the younger crowd, but I also hold my hits a bit longer with vapes (hey, we lifetime tokers have huge lungs!).

There is definitely more of a creeper effect with the PAX. But, on the flip side, it's possible to get considerably higher than by burning flower, if you have patience and get the hang of it.

I 'd definitely agree with this. I got a Pax 2 a couple years ago and it did take a bit of getting used to, sometimes I would get higher than others. A lot of it has to do with how clean you keep the device as well as how well produced the bud you put in it is, I've learned it has to be the correct dryness to vape right. I personally prefer to use the highest temperature setting too, it works better for my style of smoking. Had a small load the other day on the drive to work, didn't feel it all that much, but the high kept building and by the time we had our morning coffee, I was in that "I hope no one tries to talk to me" state.

In saying all that, I still prefer a single decent bong load as my main method. I think it's just because that's how I started smoking though, it's comfortable and I'm used to it. I've never really liked joints unless it's in a social situation and I'm sharing or being shared with. My Pax is generally what I'll use if I'm out hiking around or just want to have a discreet smoke in public. I'd recommend sticking with it, find out what settings and style works best for you. Another good thing about the vapes is you can usually use the remains in cooking, or I like to make tinctures out of it, it's not super strong but a nice mild head change.

Danielloveschoc

@ Trifector

Throwing money at a problem ain't the best way to start, instead try to understand what's being done then it shall eventually become clearer why the disappointment.

I echo this totally, vaping with cannabis is a totally different experience compared to smoking and to a certain extent you should manage your expectations, you're not going to get big plumes of smoke when vaping. Little of that smoke is cannabinoids or terpenes - instead its filled with toxic plant matter.

When you vape cannabis, just the active ingredients are being evaporated so whilst you may not get that satisfying fill of the lungs, if you inhale correctly you should be able to enjoy the high.

When I vaped for the first time I was a bit disappointed too but I got the hang of it. I now rarely touch joints though from time to time I do enjoy a bong - the ritual of setting it up, the noise and big rips just do it for me lol

You can search online, there's plenty of tips and advice available.

- Grinding your herbs maximises the surface area that can be exposed to heat. This ensures that the heat will be better distributed and you’ll release far more yummy terpenes and cannabinoids.

- It is important that you do not pack your oven too tight. If you overfill the oven you will restrict the airflow and prevent air passing through the chamber and into your mouth!

- You’ll have a better vaping experience if you take shallow sips from your vaporizer instead of a hard rip, such as when you pulling from a bong.

- You should wait until your vape is at the right temperature before you use it.

- It is important to give the chamber, filters and mouthpiece a quick wipe after every use.

Read more

Try some of these or maybe search some useful videos on Youtube.

herbgreen

Veteran
might want to try the verdamper style glass bong vape get that goodhit

And theres about a million of them out there I like the ones that have forced air but hard to beat the verdamper!

Checkthis one out its a forced air unit

http://herbalizer.net/

Not to be confused with the 'herborizer' a knock off of the verdamper

https://herborizer.com/en/

And the verdamper

https://www.vaposhop.com/vaporizers/home-vaporizers/verdamper/

I also like the purple-days style log vapes best of the 'less expensive' vaporizers imho

https://underdogvapes.com/

https://epicvape.com/

Also keep your rolling papers....you will need them

Vapes are great but joints are still the way to smoke dont think thats going away anytime soon :biggrin:

Last edited:

Egzoset

Salutations BigTacoFarmer,

...quickly... ...slowly... ... From what I undestand monoterpenes are usually only enjoyed by the first one putting heat on it. So good for one hitters. Bad for joints or any technique that heats it all at once?

There was a time when i'd only accept thermostatic scenarios, where release would follow predictible rules, but not any more as i eventually moved to the other spectrum end: exploring "Packetized" "Micro-Bursting", etc... Which reminds me to mention that our choice of a consumption method (+ its associated ritual) can also shape our consumption profile on the long run.

Oh yes it's been epic for me indeed and i still ain't reached purist-wise "Plan-A" which ideally integrates "Inlet Water" while removing CO2 (from clean-burning butane) unless falling back to "Plan-B" as an option. IMO "Micro Bursting" or "Heat Shaving" deals with the temperature matter by offering a time-compressed experience where the noble "fumet" molecules leave my bowl almost all at once, hopefully. One heat front after the next, leaching out a rich mix that does tend to deplete delicate fragrances kind of early i must concur. But a bowl is only 5 ~ 6 tokes anyway and the reward obtained with the 2 ~ 3 first ones is enough to justify the rest. Table devices require large bowls to attain this level of satisfaction in comparison; i don't need to get wasteful simply to get proper aroma/taste appreciation access using my customized vaporist pipe. Too bad i can't share on such perspective despite repeated efforts to invite independent duplication followed by peer review. Yet the time to experiment is well over for me, others will need to rediscover the wheel like i did, then maybe the words will start to actually mean something, someday - and that's one reason why i liked your input perhaps.

:good:

In the meantime my 2nd recommendation will be to seek "The Shortest Path of Lesser Transformation", trying to preserve the useful lessons of cigarette smoking so errors of the past can be corrected at last. ... The sooner the better because i'm sure bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionists will be back in force in 2019, possibly via the 62nd UN session on narcotics - who knows!...

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

707OGBUSH970

All I know is that I cant full switch myself. I just enjoy the experience and taste of the smoke. I really do think the negative effect on the lungs is as bad as people say. I do fine and mountain bike and exercise without negative effects.

Jon 55

ICMag Donor
It took a long time but I learned to love using my Volcano. The high is way stronger to me akin to eating a space cake and such. I've tried many different types of vapes but nothing can beat the Volcano except maybe Storz & Bickel's smaller portable units. Nothing beats them for the money.

Jon 55 :tumbleweed::tumbleweed::plant grow::plant grow:

Katsu

Veteran
Try vaping rosin. You get all of the flavor (and then some), none of the smoke (but you can still feel the throat hit) and a kick-ass buzz. No solvents and easy to make.

In my opinion the ONLY downside of rosin is that it's a sticky mess :)

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I switched from joints to bongs and from cigarettes to vaping and my lungs feel so much better.

Stick with it but don't be afraid of a joint once in a while.

HalfArsedFarmer

I've been using a Herbal air for about 3 years now & it does take a while to get used to it.
When you move from tobacco & cannabis to just vape it's very different, you just have to learn how much in the chamber to get the effect you want.

You must also learn how to use your vape.

I still smoke in the form of pure blunts when I'm tasting a new cultivar for the first time or when I'm breeding. I also have a spoon for hash & testing too.

My advice to any wanting to change is do it but give it time, your body will thank you.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Switched to Pax 3 a year ago, I´ll never switch back to my old pipe.

Normally I smoke dry weed. Setting Pax to max, heat.
When you learn how to vape the Pax, you get hit.

And when it hits you, it hits you really hard :smoker:

I have tried the Vulcano. Said me nothing.

I find the only really difference between Pax 2 and Pax 3, is the time it takes to get ready (warmed up).
Pax 2 is double time.

Enjoy your smokingdevice :smoke:

P :)

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I've been using a Herbal air for about 3 years now & it does take a while to get used to it.
When you move from tobacco & cannabis to just vape it's very different, you just have to learn how much in the chamber to get the effect you want.

You must also learn how to use your vape.

I still smoke in the form of pure blunts when I'm tasting a new cultivar for the first time or when I'm breeding. I also have a spoon for hash & testing too.

My advice to any wanting to change is do it but give it time, your body will thank you.

I am always surprised when reminded people add tobacco to cannabis. I tried rolling hash into a cigarette when I was young and wanted to hide smoking in public, it didn't work.

Curious as to what purpose or improvements tobacco is supposed to add? Not that I will ever smoke tobacco again. Mostly just trying to understand. Weed being so awesome and all.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
When I smoked tobacco I used it to smoke concentrates and to improve the burn characteristics or extend the life of a joint (spliff).

Pure joints get clogged with resin fairly quickly and tobacco helps even out the sludge.

I found the effects of the additives seem to help with haggard cigarette damaged lungs.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
I am from the uk, and when I started smoking all that was available was imported hash- occasionally some seeded weed would show up, or some skunk (rare occurrence), but mainly hash- and if you are passing round joints of hash, they need tobacco in them. Habits are hard to break

herbgreen

Veteran
tobacco burns hot thats why it works so good

doesnt mean its a good idea

but its is was it is.....

not a sustainable habit

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
I am from the uk, and when I started smoking all that was available was imported hash- occasionally some seeded weed would show up, or some skunk (rare occurrence), but mainly hash- and if you are passing round joints of hash, they need tobacco in them. Habits are hard to break
Yes, thats how it was, and thats how we did it.
When I started smoking weed, I smoked it like hash - with tobaco.
Later I´ve "learned" to smoke pure weed.
And vaping, was another step...:smoker:

P :smoke:

CannaZen

F**k combustion, vaporizing is better than tasting ashtray with every inhale. A joint acts as convection vaporizing herb ahead of the flame but a lot of the cannabinoids are destroyed on combustion. A majority of the smoke you are inhaling is ash!

Vape some hash or something. The only problem is that the thc clouds i exhale from my concentrate vaporizer are wasted its hard to consume.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
F**k combustion, vaporizing is better than tasting ashtray with every inhale. A joint acts as convection vaporizing herb ahead of the flame but a lot of the cannabinoids are destroyed on combustion. A majority of the smoke you are inhaling is ash!

Vape some hash or something. The only problem is that the thc clouds i exhale from my concentrate vaporizer are wasted its hard to consume.

My joints dont taste like ash. Big fat mouth watering deliciousness.