What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the minimum amount of coconut oil I can use....

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I am making caps from rosin, coconut oil, myrcene and lecithin.

If I understand things properly the rosin (THC) needs to attach to a fat to pass the blood brain barrier. This is why we use the coconut oil.

However, I ASSume there is a maximum saturation point for the oil.

I want to make 1/2 gram of rosin into as few caps as possible.

Last time, I did 1/2g rosin, 1/2 tsp lecithin, 1/2 tsp coconut oil and 50ul of myrcene.

It worked out OK but that much mass required 5 large caps. I would love to get that same dose into fewer caps. However, I am concerned that using less oil may result in a certain amount of THC that doesn't get attached and never makes it passed the blood brain barrier, thus being wasted (not me, the oil LOL)

Once again... ASSuming I understand all that and explained it properly, what is the minimum amount of coconut oil I can use with 1/2 gram of rosin and still be assured of a maximum effectiveness in bonding?

Thank you.

I have learned so much about edibles from all of you. I really thank you for always helping and providing input. Some of you may notice I'm a tiny bit odd at times. The proper edibles sometimes minimize those times and situations. So, for you, from me and for my (OMG, can you imagine) saintly and understanding wife of 39 years...... thank you.

BTW, it's my birthday today. 65

:)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
No you don't need any oil besides the cannabis oil, the carrier oil is to dilute the canna oil and make it easier to dose small amounts.

Decarbed canna oil get be swallowed, put on gums or up ass and it all works with however much veggie oil you add to the mix just warm and stir.

Today I mixed up a batch of oil diluted so that a weighed 1/4 gram would have 1 mg THC as a starting dose for a 12# dog.

Your rosin is probably not even close to being fully decarbed and it might be easier to winterize and then decarb the rosin first to get every molecule active before you cap it.

G

No you don't need any oil besides the cannabis oil, the carrier oil is to dilute the canna oil and make it easier to dose small amounts.

Decarbed canna oil get be swallowed, put on gums or up ass and it all works with however much veggie oil you add to the mix just warm and stir.

Today I mixed up a batch of oil diluted so that a weighed 1/4 gram would have 1 mg THC as a starting dose for a 12# dog.

Your rosin is probably not even close to being fully decarbed and it might be easier to winterize and then decarb the rosin first to get every molecule active before you cap it.
I think and correct me if I’m wrong he is asking something I also was wondering. How little oil can be used to make concentrated canna oil. I made some couple weeks ago for first time and I used 10 grams of decarberized weed with 10 ounces of coconut oil. If I used 5 ounces of oil instead with the 10 grams would it be almost twice as concentrated with THC??
I’m a rookie and was curious.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I think and correct me if I’m wrong he is asking something I also was wondering. How little oil can be used to make concentrated canna oil. I made some couple weeks ago for first time and I used 10 grams of decarberized weed with 10 ounces of coconut oil. If I used 5 ounces of oil instead with the 10 grams would it be almost twice as concentrated with THC??
I’m a rookie and was curious.
That would be correct

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway

Thanks. I always thought the oil was required as a carrier. I'll go with the lecithin and myrcene this time.

What makes you say that?

I decarb like Gray Wolf suggested. In a beaker until the bubbles (almost) stop.

To be honest, I worry more about over-decarbing than under decarbing. I could try heating t past the 'bubble' phase. However, it made so much logic..... bubbles stop=CO2 gone.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Thanks. I always thought the oil was required as a carrier. I'll go with the lecithin and myrcene this time.

What makes you say that?

I decarb like Gray Wolf suggested. In a beaker until the bubbles (almost) stop.

To be honest, I worry more about over-decarbing than under decarbing. I could try heating t past the 'bubble' phase. However, it made so much logic..... bubbles stop=CO2 gone.

I meant that it is not fully decarbed by the process of extracting the rosin from the weed and needs more heat to finish activating it.

Good that you did it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I believe there's a limit to the amount of cannabinoids each gram of oil can absorb. I remember reading about a study which tested butter, olive oil, ghee, coconut oil and some other oil. Olive oil and ghee turned out to have the greatest capacity for holding cannabionids. Real olive oil, the certified stuff, not the general olive/mixed oil junk sold all over the USA.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Thanks Chucky. That clears that up for me.

Doug, I agree with that and it was actually the intent of my first pot.

However, do you agree that no additional oil is required with the rosin to penetrate the blood brain barrier. And, that the natural oil of the canabinoid itself is enough to pass the BBB?

If this is true, it would help a lot.

I still feel the lecithin will help with bioavailability and I will also continue adding terps like myrcene but, omitting the coconut oil would help me a lot.

Thanks again, all.

Also, Doug, as soon as I get time, I will post a summary of all the information I have learned about decarbing and edibles.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I personally do not know, nor have I done any experimentation which has shown me oil is definitively necessary or not. I'm very much looking forward to what you're putting together and greatly appreciate your sharing. :)

ozzieAI

Veteran
hey ringo...

from my experiments making caps, adding coconut oil helped increase the effectiveness of the decarbed bud over not using it...ie i got a better effect...

adding lecithin gave another boost and i got another jump in strength with adding terpenes...

whilst the oil will only take up so much of the THC the rest is still broken down by the body and made available...

i found this...
When it comes to consuming THC via edibles, although the effects take longer, many report that the effects are a lot more pronounced. And there may be some truth to this.

11-hydroxy-THC ( 11-OH-THC) is a metabolite that is not found naturally in cannabis but is formed within the human body after THC is ingested. When you consume cannabis in the form of an edible, a high amount of THC is metabolized in your body into 11-OH-THC thanks to enzymes that are present in your GI tract.

It is thought that 11-OH-THC made in your body permeates the blood-brain barrier quicker and more efficiently than THC, as this study suggests. This may, therefore, make the effects of THC consumed via edibles feel stronger than when the same amount is smoked. This makes edibles an attractive application method in the medicinal use of THC.

whats the lowest amount of oil you can use to work the rosin into caps? have you tried equal amounts rosin/oil/lecithin?

using ground up buds i use 40ml oil and 40ml lecithin to 20 gr of cannabis...enough for 100 caps 0 size...