What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

M

Mountain

I guess my take on the market should be viewed as a contrary indicator...lol! As always take whatever I say regarding the market or a particular stock with a grain of salt!!! If I had bought QQQQ calls instead of puts...golden...ha ha.

"Should oil prices continue to climb, Cramer said Thursday, the U.S. economy could fall into a double-dip recession."
I dunno...a strengthening global economy would increase energy demands and that could raise prices, some major activity in the Mid East could do it or I guess a continual weakening of the dollar. For sure though a round of price increases coming which will ding peeps wallets. Read recently Spring clothes will be up in price a decent chunk due to cotton cost increases. I think even Walmart's profit margin, and others is taking a hit a bit due to their margins getting squeezed somewhat.

I've been looking at CRZO here on the pullback. It's breakout was never violated and still keeping an eye on KOG for a pullback as I missed the first pullback.

M

Mountain

Sam - nice play on ACI and looks like you're getting that breakout you had hoped for. It's looking good for a decent longer term move. Cool to see it moving with a drop in oil. It might make a move up to around $39 after getting through that resistance.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran

Well that 50ma held again , almost have to keep trusting these pivot supports until they fail, huh? Khadafi isn't posing as much a threat as his antics would look , the man's a survivor ....prolly eyeballing some deal where he can retire, quietly smoking his Hooka pipe to some swiss chalet..the blowhard isn't anyone's martyr but sounds good to him ! ;)

We'll prolly rattle & bounce around here since were still at toppy levels & will be a news/sector driven trading with lots of profits having been locked in & some distribution taking place . May even get that double top again on the Naz & INDU

HEES ...dang have to keep a keener eye on earnings plays, HEES reported this am & really a great heavy equipment company , beautiful chart too...part of my "Big Ten Majors" sector list CAT, CMI , DE all get happy too .
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=+^dji+ba+de+cat+cmi+dow+ir+flr+hees+mon+nue+tm+utx+xom

M

Mountain

Looking for some increased volume after lunch.
Volume did nothing but taper off through the day. Obviously a very distinct pattern developing in the general market. Overall looks like a suspect up day and saw that IBD just posted this on their latest update...

But volume was now tracking lower across the board, a disappointing lag given the market's sharp gains.

zenoonez

Veteran
Exactly, I watched a couple of stocks make nice gains but nothing with any true volume and momentum behind it. Normally a stock that jumps 50% looks like a raging bull not some anemic play on some publicity with the bears just waiting to short it. Bodes poorly long term.

M

Mountain

Any market top after the type of run that's happened will take a bit of time to develop.

Market ended up higher on better volume...at the end and...
Cyclical industry groups were among the day's best performers. That included specialty alloys, wood products, transportation equipment, farm gear, tool makers and machinery manufacturers. HMOs, staffing and lodging stocks also excelled.
Sounds like basic economic recovery stuff.

M

Mountain

Sam...FYI...
Most of the revival has been in metallurgical coal used to make steel. America's met coal exports will get another boost as users rush to replace supplies lost to floods in coal producing areas of Australia. But exports of thermal, or steam, coal, used in power plants to generate electricity, are surging.

"China and India and other emerging countries are building more and more coal plants. They don't have enough (coal)," said FBR Capital analyst David Khani.
I read awhile back some analysts are expecting a 10 year bull run in coal. Full story at IBD (from the article I quoted) today but nothing super interesting.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Wow, thanks for that quote about coal. Whats even more interesting is that ANR just opened up several new international sales offices in Australia and India. ANR was up 4.65% today, should have held it one more day, the uncertainty got me yesterday. If I would have stayed in, I probably would have stayed in ONNN also, which would have counteracted the gains of ANR with its losses. I'm content on my exit. All my new positions did good today, I'm happy.

Another thing to consider if coal is looking forward to a 10 year bull run, is the railroads and ship companies. All that coal has to be delivered.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
US coal index, threatening break out
(china's been putting the equivilent of one coal power plant in every month,
will continue non stop thru 2015...the air in Beijing can attest to it !)

some coal stocks -->
^DJUSCL ACI ANR ARLP BHP BRCO.PK BTU CNX FCL HW MEE WLB YZC
http://www.bullsector.com/coal.html

* Note the CCI came in handy as a clearer indicator where to buy this last dip

djuscl.png

* test for NFLX at the 50ma got small bounce off the $200 mark...
this was a good short from the overbought was a bloated piggie up near $250
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=NFLX&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p17745163506

M

Mountain

if i wanna double my money, which stock do i invest in ?
Good luck with that one. When you find out let me know. Easy to look back on charts/stocks at the winners but getting in before they do...and hold on...is another story. ROYL recently went from about $2 to almost $8 in less than 2 weeks. LMLP I was looking at went from about $3.50 and touched $6 today in about 30 days. NFLX went from about $70 to $200+ at today's close in 1 year.

If anything I'd say look at some energy stocks. I rarely look out more than about 30 days and usually about 1 to 5 only.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm hearing a lot of the currency guys say the swiss franc is the new "flight to safety" currency. When the SHTF in the Middle East there were "flight to safety" moves by the market. The Dollar has always been one. Middle East on fire? Not this time. I believe that speaks volumes for the way the market sees our currency now.

And what do you do? Stop quantitative easing? Who is going to service this?

two-bits-figure-2.jpg

That deserves to be posted twice.

The article blames it on the price of oil holding it down. I think the price of oil is partially high right now because of the liquidity flood over the past couple years. I think it's a change of perception.

Should You Be Freaked Out That The Dollar Hasn't Rallied During The Flight To Safety? Business Insider
With turmoil high, there's been plenty of activity in traditional safety plays: gold, the Swiss Franc, the yen, US Treasuries, etc.
Only the dollar hasn't participated.
Is that worrisome? Does it mean that the US dollar is no longer seen as a safe-haven?
No and no (contrary to what Damon Vickers is saying on CNBC right now).
The reason the dollar isn't going up is because oil is shooting higher, and this worsens the US trade deficit. It's really hard for the dollar to rally alongside surging oil.

QE 3 on deck.