What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Good coco grow guide, anyone?... anyone?

C

Carl Carlson

Most companies that sell coir products advise customers to use the same basic program.

1. Precharge the coir with calcium nitrate or regular nutrient solution
2. Water as the plants need it until roots fully established than water multiple times daily with less volume at each interval for a more uniform wetting profile.

These are not the distributors that we're used to seeing in the hydro stores in the USA. These are probably the companies that Sunleaves, GH, etc. get the coir from.

Links follow

Growing in Coir - www.alternativegardensupplies.co.uk (.pdf)

Galuku Cocopeat Growbags Fact Sheet

BENEFITS OF USING POTTING MIXES CONTAINING COCOPEAT - Galaku Cocopeat

Instructions for the use of coco coir - Performa Globalys (.pdf)

Coco Growbag Support - Millenniumsoils Coir

edit: Growing in Cocopeat - A farmers perspective - Andrew Olley

This is an excerpt from Galaku

HOW TO USE COCOPEAT IN POTTING MIXES

To improve the wettability and water holding ability for indoor and outdoor potting mixes add between 20% and 50% Cocopeat (Galuku Coir) by volume to the mix. Thoroughly mix the Cocopeat (Galuku Coir) in and add about 20 grams of Gypsum to every 100 litres of Cocopeat (Galuku Coir) used. Do not lime as Cocopeat (Galuku Coir) is not acidic. Feed the mix with liquid feed or slow release fertiliser.
You use Gypsum because it won't raise the pH and it provides Calcium and Sulfur. The wettability refers to the often heard complaint about anything that is peat based.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Very interesting thread. I'm gonna give a try for my next session; Bought some coco coir, brand U-grow, with added trichoderma. Manufacturer announces a Ph of 6.3, but I was thinking about feeding at 5.8. Isn't that too great a difference between medium & feeding solution, or the medium PH will lower with time ?

Irie !

Rjstoner

as soon as i can afford it im going 98% canna coco the whole line up all aditives included only things outside there line up is greatwhite, humbolt honey, magical(technaflora), organic molasses im gonna run a side by side with a maxibloom KISS and see if its tru you can grow just as big and tastey with 15 bucks as you can with 400 bucks

Herborizer

Veteran
as soon as i can afford it im going 98% canna coco the whole line up all aditives included only things outside there line up is greatwhite, humbolt honey, magical(technaflora), organic molasses im gonna run a side by side with a maxibloom KISS and see if its tru you can grow just as big and tastey with 15 bucks as you can with 400 bucks

I am very interested in comparing Canna Coco A/B vs Maxibloom KISS. Please do start a thread and keep us updated on that.

3gunpete

Hey peeps, recently converted soil grower here.
I am wondering if anyone uses or has used ff liquid nutes for coco. For soil they rock as far as chem based nutes go.
What makes canna( or any coco nute a coco nute)?
I would prefer to avoid all chem based nutes if i can but am starting to believe from all the different treads here that one should treat coco like hydro and avoid OMRI listed organic regimen.

Any way hopefully some of yall can drop sum science on me as to why i shouldn't go organic with coco.........Or at least why i shouldn't use fox farm liq products for coco.

Thanx,,3GP

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Any way hopefully some of yall can drop sum science on me as to why i shouldn't go organic with coco.........Or at least why i shouldn't use fox farm liq products for coco.

I am by no means a coco expert, but I have read a lot about coco and about organic gardening. Straight Coco and coco-perlite mixes on their own do not contain the micro-organisms (bacteria and protazoa) necessary to break down non-plant soluble organic nutrients. Thus, to make these mediums work plant soluble (chem) fertilizers must be used or the necessary micro-organisms must to be added to the medium. Adding the necessary micro-organisms can be accomplished by adding compost or vermicompost (worm castings) to the coco mix. Adding these micro-organisms may also be accomplished by watering with an aerated compost tea.

Currently I'm growing one large plant in the coco version of Lavender Cowboy's (LC) Mix #1 which is 50% coco, 30% perlite, and 20% vermicompost amended with guanos and kelp meal. Thus, far I have not used any chemical fertilizers with this mix nor have a bothered with dropping the PH of my water which is 7.8. My plant is doing great.

Pine

3gunpete

Thanks Pine,!,

So it seems it is possible to go organic with coco. The key being adding micro beasties by the score. How often are u adding guano and kelp, or was that just when you mixed soil. If so what ratio of the 2 did you add?

Have u ever heard of Earth ambrosia and Earth nectar, i believe from soil secrets? Its designed to do exactly what you described. by introducing micro org and mycorrahizae

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
actually coco is quite alive and very good habitat for all kinds of beneficial bacteria, so it will work really well as an addition or main ingredient of an organic farmers medium.

B

bonecarver_OG

agree totally on what gauismarius says!

i throw all my used coco into my veggie garden :D they love it... it also helps a lot in getting clay-rich soils more oxygenized :) so it gives quicker growth in many veggies that have weaker rootsystems, like peppers and such

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hi great read here. Did I miss it or has anyone added eggshells for calcium? Is it a good idea/source?

There are other threads for that topic around here somewhere.

Assuming everything else is correct in the grow.... if your nutrients don't have the required calcium, you're going to have to supply it some other way.

IME... GH Maxibloom and GH Flora 3-part at 6/9 and 8/16 have enough calcium, even if you're using R/O water. Some strains will look like they need nitrogen.... simply add a TINY pinch of epsom salts per gallon, they'll green up nicely. Cal-Mag products will just F-up your nutrient profile.... don't do it.

Any nutrient profile that matches the Lucas Method profile.... can be used in R/O water without anything but epsom salts as a (sometimes) necessary additive.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

PHANTOM

Hi guest,

I've just rebuilt an indoor grow room and am gonna hit a coco run following a successfull indoor soil grow that I wound up in 2008.

Good thread with lots of good advice.

Hope it goes well.

Peace.

PHANTOM.

Ive been using House & Garden with my coco for a few years now, I would personally recommend the A&B to anybody. The other micro-nutrients in the line are very good but some of them are expensive and are replaceable with other similar nutrients that aren't as much dough. They have a easy guide to follow for beginners and will make experienced growers happy as well. Hopefully that helped somebody out who was curious about it.

Cannaloupe

Ive been using House & Garden with my coco for a few years now, I would personally recommend the A&B to anybody. The other micro-nutrients in the line are very good but some of them are expensive and are replaceable with other similar nutrients that aren't as much dough. They have a easy guide to follow for beginners and will make experienced growers happy as well. Hopefully that helped somebody out who was curious about it.

Hey ECC... do you use tap water with this stuff or RO??? any calmag???

thanks

OH grower

That guide recommends a 12/12 hour vegging schedule... Won't that lower the yield? I'm sticking with my 18/6, but to each his own.
dude you cant veg under 12/12 at least ive never heard of it. maybee autoflower plants but ive never messed with them so i dont know

HOVAH2.0

iM thinkn bout adding air to bottom of my Coco buckets in form of airstones. These are 5gallon buckets and will be half full with water. This should lower the water requirements and effectively become DWC/coco... in Theory, onless someone has beat me to the punch and had success.. please chime in. Thanks in advance, Jesus of Bud landia (SF).

Hi great read here. Did I miss it or has anyone added eggshells for calcium? Is it a good idea/source?

Great ask ChaCha....I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Just from remembering what my dad always used for his house plants. He always had a mason jar under the sink with egg shells. He could grow anything. He had a green pepper plant that he kept going for 8 years. Brought it in during winter and replanted it back out in the garden in spring and it only produced outside in summer.

I'm applying several horticulture memories from my childhood. Grandma had one hell of a garden and took cuttings from everywhere she seen a plant she liked, wrap that up in a paper towel, (which she ALWAYS had) and stick it in her purse. She used to steal them from places like the Dr's office, she was a real rebel but man she had a great garden.