What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Covering up Carpet and Noise Concern

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hi all,

One of the places I'm looking at is almost entirely carpeted, including the room I want to grow in.

If I were to lay down a pond liner in the room to cover the carpet and run a dehumidifier, should the carpet be fine? The last thing I want is moldy, ruined carpet in a rental.

Another place I'm looking at has wooden floors, but the bedrooms have ceiling fans I'd have to avoid (which might not be too bad as I'm hanging my bulbs vertically). The neighbors are also closer to this home. (maybe 10 yards of grass between the houses, and the grow would be in the room(s) near them) and I'm worried about them hearing things like a drill and/or the fan (although I plan on using a vortex s-line which is supposed to be pretty quiet and it will be exhausting to the inside of the house as opposed to the outside).

The second house with wooden floors is in a very neighborhoody neighborhood with neighbors close by who know the people who own the home. The other house is a bit more private, but has one less room and of course has carpet.

thejact55

Questions before answers.

How big of an operation? The whole room? I grow on carpet, i run 3 seperate tents, 2 each 3'x3' and one like 32"×32". I have a cheap rug covering the carpet too. No issues to worry about. Is there a reason to not use tents? They are cheap nowadays. Other thing is build like a frame, like 2x4' and double up on tarps over and under the 2x4's, srewed or staples to the frame, covering the carpet. Hard to explain, but gives you a double barrier while holding in runoff from the pots. This keeps the carpet dry and doesnt change moisture level of it.

On the fans, i run a couple and im not worried about neighbors in the houses in close proximity sound wise. Apartments, fans can be an issue, but my house is very close to the next and i cant here shit from outside. That being said my whole block smokes. If the exhaust cannot be seen, no worries. About a drill noises or tools, fuck em, you were putting up drywall, or anything. I dont like "neighbory" neighborhoods, lol i carry in too many bags of soil and weird boxes, prying eyes aint my style. It probably fine, but...
Depends on what your level of interest is in growing on choosing the house. I wouldnt choose a house based on just growing. Thats a lie, i would, but i wouldnt normally advise that.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Yeah, I plan on using the whole room. I want to hang up 2 600w bulbs in a vertical stadium setup. My plan is to have two rows all around (8 on each side, 2 on each end and then another 8 on each side and 2 on each end raised up and staggered behind the first row) and then, in the middle of the stadium (or in a corner of the room) I'm going to have 20 more seedlings as well.

The plan is to use all autoflowers so light cycle is irrelevant. Every month germinate 20 more to grow for a month while the previous 20 finish flowering. This way I can get a harvest every month from one room.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
In any case, another member suggested I simply rip the carpet up and put it back down when I'm done. I think I'm going to go with this idea.

It's good to know that noise isn't really an issue, though.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I like thin plywood over carpet first. Then liner/plastic. I find plastic etc tears when its directly on top of carpet. There is a silica cat litter. I think "amazing" or something like that. It absorbs loads of moisture. By a bag. Scatter it on the carpet.(No chance of mold) Then ply. Then pond liner. I would still use 4x4 or similar hydro trays under any pots.

I flooded a 3 story apt building once...400 Liter reservoir empty... umm yeah the carpet got a bit "damp" !!

And you just vac the silica crystals when your done in the room.

G

Gr33nSanta

I think if the landlord does not know you are growing weed then you should not grow weed. You should buy a house... unless you have big big balls... I knew a guy like that. The whole grow could be taken down in a half hour notice. I could not live like that. 1200watts of weed is not even worth the risk!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
In 2005 the main bud room was moved into my daughter's old bedroom. The carpet was left in place and a five plant perpetual harvest was set up.
Twelve years have gone by and the carpet is fine. The room is cleared and new lights installed about every three years, the last time was almost a year ago. A Kirby vacuum picked up the stray Perlite pieces and the room could have returned to bedroom status unblemished.
A white carpet is a whole different beast than a brown carpet and could be a game changer.

I am a fairly careful person and run a somewhat tidy grow area. The total water spilled on the floor amounts to less than a quart per year.
No stains, no mold. Rockwool croutons are the media, very clean, topping is Perlite, also clean. I can imagine dirt would cause dust and mud if used.

I also tried wading pools, a pair of them with sump pumps in each. The nutrient solution was pumped back and forth through the plants and pumped out when depleted. This was fairly clean but took more space.

Orcface enjoys laying on the carpet under the growlights, no waterstains on the rug although there is quite a bit of dry stuff. The floor only gets vacuumed once every three years due to plant interference.

Attachments

• The smiling face indicates inner turmoil.jpg
    The smiling face indicates inner turmoil.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 15
G

What ever you do try and remember it's not your property. The golden rule applies of not destroying or damaging somethings that don't belong to you. Normal wear is expected.
It never fails to disappoint me when people talk about doing things that they know have a good chance of damaging the domicile they are renting.
Treat it like it was your own home. Someday when you buy your own home you might see it differently. I grow in a carpeted closet in my own home and saucers and cleanliness are key.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've produced extremely clean cannabis in tents, in carpeted rooms. Homemade hepa filter intakes take care of the fibers. Double floor liners of thick plastic have kept it all pristine. Small closets I take out the carpet and store it for later.

Hydro, 15 years. :)