What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trichomes never turn amber

Nicholas2323

I have been growing with a mixture of OF and coco coir using Growilla for the past 2 years. My plants look good all the way to harvesting, but they just don't finish. Not one trichome turns gold. I have changed genetics to Greenhouse and my trainwreck (fem) just grew didn't finish. The trichs turned cloudly, but the quality of the product was poor.

The only time the trichs turned gold was when I used supersoil, but I can't get it anymore.

I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone please help?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Sounds like a problem with your lights. Like maybe they're not strong enough. What's your set up?

Nicholas2323

I am using 1000 HPS; 12 on 12 off. Feeding every 14 days. Have left plants to grow until they died and trichs, not one, will turn amber. They have all the other characteristics of finishing, buds nice and big, but the end product is not up to standard. The plants are not finishing and must be lacking something, but I have used Karma, Advanced Nutrients products, bloommaster, etc and still not getting the results I want.

M

meowmeowmeow

Use super soil or go clean/organic as possible.
Worse case scenario I have had is not much fade, but great results.

I've said this a couple of times......I don't stalk the trichomes.
I watch the plant and try to follow the breeders information on flower times.

It also sounds like a new strain hunt due to your standards.
I grew Greenhouse Moneymaker and no one liked it, but it made bomb tincture.
Last time I grew Greenhouse.

packerfan79

Veteran
Why are you only feeding every 14 days? Sounds like they are in starvation mode. I think you should pic a medium not mix. Coco needs to be feed daily.

Nicholas2323

The mix is Ocean Forest and Ready Gro. The plants look perfect right up to harvest. Green fan leaves, buds with white hairs withdrawn, using time table for growing that strain and looking at trichomes. The trics get cloudy but don't finish. When cured, the stuff is no good.

Nicholas2323

I've used different seed companies. Greenhouse was just the last one, trainwreck strain. When I could get supersoil, I used trainwreck from Dr. Greenthumb and they were perfect. I can't get supersoil anymore. The local hydro dealer suggested a 50:50 mixture of Ocean Forest and Ready Gro. I have gone by the suggested growing times and the gross optics of the buds for harvest in addition to looking at the trichomes. The stuff is still no good. Hey, meow, what did you use to make your tincture? I must have 3 lbs of crap to use for tincture. I used food grade glycerin once but it was way too sweet.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like a phosphorous problem, but you would have to take a soil analysis to figure it out. Also, metals like Mn, Zn and Cu are critical and not in commercial mixes... Ca also comes to mind...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Definitely not the genetics, because they're all havin the same problem. Whatever you nutrient profile is, its missing or adding something important.

Make a list of available media and nutes, then go look for multiple growers on here who use a combination of them successfully. Copy their mix and you'll have a good chance of success. I look for growers using r/o water, so the results will be accurately duplicated when you also use r/o. No weird pH fluctuations/changes to figure out. :)

A

acdc

Definitely not the genetics, because they're all havin the same problem. Whatever you nutrient profile is, its missing or adding something important.

Make a list of available media and nutes, then go look for multiple growers on here who use a combination of them successfully. Copy their mix and you'll have a good chance of success. I look for growers using r/o water, so the results will be accurately duplicated when you also use r/o. No weird pH fluctuations/changes to figure out. :)

do what Douglas.Curtis says and you wont go wrong:)

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you check your water and your soil analysis, you can fix it now.

Or you can keep guessing....

Strongly suggest your read some about soil analysis at the slownickel lounge thread....

jidoka

Why do you want them to go amber? That is oxidation, is cell death. The truth is most people simply cannot keep their plants healthy enough to not oxidize? What kills humans...cell oxidation.

Test the plant though, not the soil. Too much of something is far more common than not enough

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've consistently found 5% to 15% amber to be the peak of ripeness. Until amber begins to show, the full potency and complexity of a strain is absent.

This can only be found initially through testing. Testing flower harvested at different stages. When you find you prefer an earlier or much later harvest, you'll eventually find you're working with the wrong strain for you. Early and late harvesting are workarounds to the restrictions imposed by prohibition.
Slownickel is correct again. Ty.
Be awesome, learn something new today. :)

Nicholas2323

Hey slownickel,
I checked Growilla and it has all of the minerals you listed. How can I do a soil anaysis?

Douglas.Curtis,
I searched the site for Growilla, Ocean Forest and can't find anyone using this nute and actually any type of soil mixture.

The local hydro man suggested I put my lights on the ceiling. He swears by this method and says he and others get really good results from it. I am wondering if that is my problem. I just ordered a lux meter to test but the lights are definitely more than 22 inches.

But what is confounding is that I got a perfect grow using supersoil with my lights at that height. So, I am thinking it has to be the mix.

I really don't know what to do next. Is there a way to do a soil analysis?

Nicholas2323

Hey slownickel,
I checked Growilla and it has all of the minerals you listed. How can I do a soil anaysis?

Douglas.Curtis,
I searched the site for Growilla, Ocean Forest and can't find anyone using this nute and actually any type of soil mixture.

The local hydro man suggested I put my lights on the ceiling. He swears by this method and says he and others get really good results from it. I am wondering if that is my problem. I just ordered a lux meter to test but the lights are definitely more than 22 inches.

But what is confounding is that I got a perfect grow using supersoil with my lights at that height. So, I am thinking it has to be the mix.

I really don't know what to do next. Is there a way to do a soil analysis?

Nicholas2323

The 1000 w flowering are about a year old. Yeah, they could be getting old and need to be replaced. I have ordered a lux meter. It seems logical it could be the lights and also having them at ceiling level. But why did I get a perfect crop using supersoil with the lights at the same height. That is why I have been thinking it's the soil mixture, but maybe it's the lights.

A

acdc

The 1000 w flowering are about a year old. Yeah, they could be getting old and need to be replaced. I have ordered a lux meter. It seems logical it could be the lights and also having them at ceiling level. But why did I get a perfect crop using supersoil with the lights at the same height. That is why I have been thinking it's the soil mixture, but maybe it's the lights.

no disrespect intended but if them bulbs are 1 years old its time they were replaced either way do your test:)

packerfan79

Veteran
Still don't understand why you are only feeding every 14 days. Ocean Forrest has enough nutrients for 3 weeks or so less if you cut it with coco. I belive you are starving your plants. My suggestion would be pic a medium and learn to use it. coco has it's quirks but nothing to complicated. Ocean Forrest is just soil after 3 weeks, you need to feed every other water. Also remember most grow shops are full of people who's only job is to separate you from your hard earned money.

You are treating it like it's this supersoil you speak of, It's not feed your plants.

I read you have receding white hairs, your hairs should be red or orange not white. Mabey try something easy like 6 and 9 bloom and micro from general hydroponics. I will say it one last time

FEED YOUR PLANTS, YOU ARE STARVING THEM. 14 DAYS IS WAY TO LONG WITHOUT A FEEDING.

Nicholas2323

Growilla is a dry, organic fertilizer that recommends feeding every 10 to 14 days. I am using 5 gallon pots so basically I am feeding them every other watering. The plants show no signs of nutrient deficiency. In fact, they are very pretty. The only problem is that they won't finish. Other growers are having excellent results with Growilla on that feeding schedule.

I am thinking it is because I placed the lights too high. 1000 hps bulbs are reputed to last 2 to 3 years. Much longer than the metal halide bulbs.

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I am fully considering every suggestion.

Latest posts

Latest posts