What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

250W, 3 BigBud Cuttings, Scrog, Fristtimer

Hello everyone!

So this is the first run with a converted small cabinet to a grow cabinet running a 250 watt hps and having a nice extractor fan with filter going.
also in there is a little ventilation fan just to stirr things up,
air inlet is via two passive pipes at bottom level of the plantpots angled to prevent light pollution.

this is the unit both closed, and open:

all light leaks will be fixed before flowering is initiated ofcourse but as of right now is not too big an issue.

a temperature probe is attatched to a stick about 10cm/~4inch above the canopy as this is where the buds will probably show up around,
thats the little stick you can see sticking out with the probe on top.

also so far the canopy is very even.

plants are in biobizz light mix and are currently watered every 4th day with 500ml water each.

so far it has proven itself to be juuuuust creating a bit of runoff so the water ratio seems fine.

every week 2ml/L of Hesi Bloom are added through veg, it is a bloom fert yes but for ease of use and not chasing
optimum results it does its job so far.
dose during flower is 5ml/L.

so the three bigbud cuttings have been scrog trained for two weeks now and look like this:

now the big question is, how long should the training be continued for?

the plants were woven into the scrog net a bit shit alligned and off center so there is quite some space vacant in the front whereas the
rest and the rear is filling up nicely so this is where help of the community would be appreciated as far as suggestions what to do go.

enjoy the show :)

Floridian

Veteran
Looks good bro,the lights seem a tad high but you know the temp situation better than me.I don't know anything about the fert you are using,the medium or how much nitrogen it contains,I do know if the medium is nitrogen deficient the plants in late veg and especially during the stretch the first couple weeks of 12/12 will go through unnecessary yellowing and a slowdown in development.Why aren't you using a good veg fert?

Looks good bro,the lights seem a tad high but you know the temp situation better than me.I don't know anything about the fert you are using,the medium or how much nitrogen it contains,I do know if the medium is nitrogen deficient the plants in late veg and especially during the stretch the first couple weeks of 12/12 will go through unnecessary yellowing and a slowdown in development.Why aren't you using a good veg fert?

thank you for your reply.

struggling a bit with the temperature and it seems as at that hight on the safe side, rather be safe than sorry!

now the medium is a nute-less mix commonly used in europe with some perlite in it and the fertilizer is a 3:3:4 fert.

seeing how the veg fert of that company is a 3:2:3 figured just dilute down and use one product instead of two,
contemplate using a proper veg fert for the next run.

are very few yellowing leaves at the bottom of the plant during veg already a sign of malnourishment or normal?

how much longer should the veg be continued, a week or two is the guess?

Floridian

Veteran
I don't have any idea how much BB stretches,but if temps are a minor issue now,I wouldn't veg a lot longer,maybe a week.Yellowing leaves near the bottom of vegging plants that size are not normal or a good sign,it's either not enough light of an N deficiency and I'm thinking you have planty of light for plants that size.Although the N and K numbers on your fert isn't seeming to be a large difference,it's an unneeded and possibly negative combination IMO.Plants have to have that nitrogen in veg especially late veg and in my experience,the first 10-14 days of 12/12 when the plants aren't flowering yet.When they go to stretch you may find more yellowing than you'd like,I'm sure you'll remedy that next time if it happens.Nice girls though and the ferts not going to be a game changer,they will flower when the 12 dark hours in 24 kick in regardless of ferts

Welcome!
I'm also voting for one week of vegging, you can add a little bit of N to correct the yellowing if it is defiency and not related to light. If it's nute based it should start showing improvements in 48hrs with fast acting nutes. Be careful to not burn those babies.
Stay safe!

sounding good!

so there is the option of switching to flower towards end of the week which would also be the weekly feed day.

should that last feed already be carried out with a full strength flower fert or should, for the sake of it,
a (last) feed at full strength veg fert be applied at that phase? for sake of argument and future operations a veg fert will be acquired as yellow leaves
might be due to feeding.

Floridian

Veteran
I would go with a full strength N fert and continue with that for at least the first two feedings after switching to 12/12.I like to go 7-10 days continuing my N fert.When you switch to 12/12,your plants are still vegging and to a degree,will be doing so for 2-3 weeks.During the stretch of 12/12 the plants need nitrogen,thats not saying you shouldn't feed them K also,but IMO until 3 weeks or so N is the fert they need most.

very interested as in how that stretch will be as it will be a major teacher for things to come.
especially in vertically limited spaces!
there will be a foto update of the canopy on the day of the switch.
will go with full strength feed.

as for fan leaves, as this is a tighly woven scrog there are quite some large fan leaves covering potential budsites
about which the question is: when they stretch during 12/12 initiation, is light hitting the budsites a factor as in
how much they stretch upwards or will they stretch regardless of direct light hitting them or not.

the question is asked about potential removing of some. if they are a major factor in IF the budsites stretch at all that would be a clear yes,
if not .. well, whats the common thought on that ?

Floridian

Veteran
Its the entire plant that will stretch so I wouldn't remove any green leaves wherever they are.Later in flower there are different points of view on the subject.Personally throughout flower I don't remove green leaves as I feel the healthy fans receiving adequate light are the main source of growth for the plant through transference.Then there are those folks in the middle that won't remove healthy fans but will tuck them down so that the budsites get direct light.On the opposite end are folks that will remove up to a third of the plant, on the bottom of course, and other fans blocking more mature budsites.Your not anywhere near that point yet.Its basically three trains of thought and experience of course is the best teacher.At this point I wouldn't touch heathy fans at all and just let the plant do it's thing.EDIT after rereading I have to say Ive never used screens so hopefully other scroggers will chip in,but I think I got my point across.Good growing!

ok first full strength feed took place and they are in 12/12 now.

canopy from top and side before switch was iniitiated,
now the even more exciting part starts :woohoo:

holy shit!
so out of town business trips dont mingle well it appears, a day more than usual away from their watering schedule came back and looked like DEATH!
obviously watered and fed asap and really hoping everyting recovers :(

They'll perk up. I'd give them an extra week veg to recover.

they have recovered just fine and tomorrow will already have been in flower for two weeks, crazy how time flies.

found out that the pots can take up nearly a liter of water as opposed to the halfliter, that makes life a lot easier for out of town trips.

picture update tomorrow they changed QUITE a bit to say atleast.
:woohoo:

would be good if the stretch stopped about perfect hight right now for the box.

ok here are the pics!

so a lot changed in the past two weeks of flower, and they stretched quite a bit.
this would probably be their ideal hight so this being a scrog and 2 weeks into 12/12 could there still be a lot of stretch occuring?

because this would probably ask for some more training.

canopy from the top:
picture.php

from the side, notice the stretch from the pre-flower canopy shot below:
picture.php

this was pre-flower:
picture.php