What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where you all get your vegetable seeds from?

markk

Fairly new here, I'm wondering where you all get your vegetable seeds from? There's a whole bunch of smaller seed companies (and a few big ones!) that come up on a google search. Hard to choose who to go with.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
For Heirloom seeds :

Baker Creek
Tomato growers
Sandhill preservation
Seed Savers Exchange

Commercial Seeds:

Harris seed
Johnny Seed
Rupp

Best of luck with you vegetable season!

markk

well my friend grow food with organically but he doesn't purchase any organic seeds (unless it's the same price as non organic). He doesn't have any scientific evidence to prove otherwise but according to him buying organic seeds is like buying gluten free water. He recommended me rareseeds.com because the ship is only $3.5, what you think guys? wonder, nobody recommends rareseeds here, may be mostly don't like

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Well make your own informed decisions and focus on non gmo seeds !!!!!not organic!

always an interesting discussion gmo/non-gmo... when I was growing up n we ate watermelon, we'd be spitting seeds like a tommy gun... today... no seeds..

I used to grow corn... I'd get the water boiling, run out cut the corn n cook... sometime the corn was sweet, other times not so... today I go to the market, buy corn, I can leave it in the fridge for days, cook it and it's sweet/sweet/sweet...

gmo/non-gmo????

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Good luck finding corn these days that isn't GMO. Seems every hybrid has a GMO history.

I saw a commercial on TV a few days ago for Roundup for lawns. So you can spray all your corn and continue on to your lawn with that nasty shit. Disgusting!

Happy 420 everyone!

St. Phatty

Good luck finding corn these days that isn't GMO. Seems every hybrid has a GMO history.

I saw a commercial on TV a few days ago for Roundup for lawns. So you can spray all your corn and continue on to your lawn with that nasty shit. Disgusting!

Happy 420 everyone!

There's a farmer in Idaho named Lynn Stedman that used to sell his organic wheat & corn under the name "Grandpa's Grains".

I'm still using some of the non-GMO corn I got from him about 5 years ago. For seed and sometimes, to eat.

Sweeet! Wish these kids nowadays knew what real sweet corn was like! What a shame .....what we did with the gifts natives gave us! I prob hang out here and a couple other threads! Lol im not a popular icmag guy!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Sweeet! Wish these kids nowadays knew what real sweet corn was like! What a shame .....what we did with the gifts natives gave us! I prob hang out here and a couple other threads! Lol im not a popular icmag guy!

I gotta disagree... today's corn that we buy at the market, prob comes from florida or mexico, gets picked, then shipped... all this taking days, u can leave it in the fridge for days, cook it and its still sweeter then corn I grew in my own garden.... gotta luv them GMO'S

and I'm saving $$$ in another way tooo.. when I go to the bathroom, no need to turn on the lite... I seem to emit a glow... just enough lite to find the toilet when I pee...