What's new

Kugelrohr

HG23

Sorry my last comments were a little confusing.

Before I left the seminar, the owner of Chem Tech Services(the actual distillation company) was talking to the Helderpad guy (Sound Extracts) about bringing a pilot or commercial scale distillation plant to Seattle to run hemp oil. They mentioned it would require a team of 3 to operate.

A KDL-6 could definitely be operated solo if certain things have been prepared beforehand. IMO you also have to consider all the support and ancillary operations that have to happen to keep the still running. Extraction from the plant material, winterizing, vacuum system maintenance, cleaning the still between runs, etc. will take a little help and with the costs of these things I can't imagine you would want any down time if at all possible.

I think cleaning the still is something that shouldn't be an afterthought in any way, especially with a fragile glass unit. I couldn't really tell if it was complicated to do or not and don't recall if they went into detail (notice it's included as a topic in the 48k hemp training). I wonder if you have to drain out all the oil jackets, that might take some time. It seems that sometimes (usually?) material needs to be put through the still several times to achieve proper purification and I believe it would need to be cleaned in between batches. This brings up another important point that in a lot of cases they will hook two or more short path evaporator cores in series to keep the still operating in a continuous manner.

To add further onto the idea of continuous operation, they suggested that a standard WFE setup with external condenser could be used to recover ethanol and the output hooked in series to the short path evaporator cores. How sweet would it be to have large, jacketed reaction vessels doing cold ethanol extractions on raw plant material feeding right into the WFE which would feed right into your two short path evaporator cores?? I asked them about what the best way to extract from plant material in preparation for distillation was and the Sound extracts guy said they had the best luck starting with a hydrocarbon crude over CO2 or straight ethanol extract. I didn't get anymore details. The Chem Tech guy smiled and said they're working on a solution without flammable solvents. Whatever that means, that's all he would say about it.

Things might have changed, but I'm looking at their price sheet and it lists an optional two day equipment install/startup for 3.5k and an optional hemp processing technology training program that includes Cannabinoid distillation (CBD/THC), Terpene/flavonoid separation, and system cleaning protocol for 48k. It says they'll take 20% down with the remainder paid at 4k/month or 10% discount for payment in full.

Interesting point about contamination from the diffusion pump. The stills all have cold traps inline but sometimes the fraction inside is desirable and you would want it clean. Two cold traps? Maybe Roji or RB can comment on using turbomolecular pumps.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Diffusion pumps are cheap which is why they use them. They will work fine as long as you keep the cold trap between them and the process full of dry ice/ LN2 and nothing goes wrong. Their drawback on a wiped film unit is if you get a sudden influx of badly degassed feed material or the still is accidentally vented.

If either happen the diff pump will likely spew oil vapor past the cold trap and contaminate the product. If the pressure rises quickly the oil charge in the diff pump will all become vapor at once and spread throughout the vacuum system.
Which could be an expensive mistake...

Diff pumps use a cold trap or cryo baffle in high vacuum systems to prevent backstreaming, but the vacuum levels are much higher. In a wiped film unit pressure will unlikely get below 1x10^-3 torr (1 micron) and there will be some gas flow past the pump always so the traditional backstreaming won't happen.

It's only if shit goes bad that problems arise and multiple cold traps won't be enough to catch much of the vapor blast.

A turbo is worth it since it has no possibility of contaminating the product.

RB

Pangea

Veteran
I like the name, haha.

Unfortunately I only was able to pull some stinky terps, so awful...

The rotisserie rpm was to low, the hot puddle just ends up staying in the bottom of the jar, need to spin it on its other axis. I ran it for several hours at 220c - 230c, which is the hottest I could get it.

Onto the next iteration!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the name, haha.

The rotisserie rpm was to low, the hot puddle just ends up staying in the bottom of the jar, need to spin it on its other axis. I ran it for several hours at 220c - 230c, which is the hottest I could get it.

Onto the next iteration!

Hee, hee, hee, the spirit of the chase for the unknown! Good experiment!

230C is plenty hot enough if you have the vacuum.

We've played with the concept some using conventional glassware, and a full rotation doesn't do as good a job as a rocking back and forth like a Kugelrohr, because the films drip down the middle as they go over the top.

dono

The failure in your design has nothing to do with the rotisserie RPM. As a matter of fact, if anything, that's the only correct part of the design. Seems you're missing the key of what's going on in the process.

Pangea

Veteran
If it seems that way you could just write out your thoughts on the key that I am missing, instead of making a not very helpful post.

Pretty sure the key is keeping the vac deep enough to get my vapor pressures down low enough, which in a static situation is just going to take some extra effort. Im not trying to replicate a classic kug, I like things static, or freeze, pump, thawable. I'll have this working as I get around to it, its grow season.

Can anybody suggest a good in-line vacuum (rotary adapter?) connection that can freely rotate without causing a leak? For a typical 24/40 flask? Thanks

Daub Marley

Please do not try and distill with jars. You're just asking for it. Buy some round bottom flasks they are cheap and safe to use.

straindev

I like the name, haha.

Onto the next iteration!

any new updates on your project? interested in diy kug :)

Got to see one of these things run today ... a lot smaller than I thought. The extractor had just gotten the unit, and was still finding variables. We were able to fraction off most of the terps, and make a "clear" like oil. It was in no way like any of the clear raw I have tried. Interesting toy, bet ya could build one outta tri clamp parts ...

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/video/labware/kugelrohr.html

Here is an adaptation of kugelrohr which is not hamstrung by the vacuum limitations of a conventional kugelrohr oven which cannot tolerate such high vacuum and still do all the rotating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMW1mYiSU04