What's new

Kugelrohr

JColtrane

Got to see one of these things run today ... a lot smaller than I thought. The extractor had just gotten the unit, and was still finding variables. We were able to fraction off most of the terps, and make a "clear" like oil. It was in no way like any of the clear raw I have tried. Interesting toy, bet ya could build one outta tri clamp parts ...

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/video/labware/kugelrohr.html

Roji

Too funny. My friend and I were screwing around with some triclamp stuff tonight trying to get something to jump. Just pulled some terpenes.

uwEyYtDl.jpg

3zGeKnyl.jpg

Rickys bong

Veteran
Ya gotta love tri-clamp bits for experimentation. Stuff is like Lego for so many applications...

RojiRohr has a nice ring to it. Especially when Aldrich shows $7100 CAD for that setup. Egads.

JC, how much material was left behind in the flask in the oven? Any rough numbers on yield?

Peace, RB

leroy_jenkins

+1 for RojiRohr! I can totally picture this with 2 engine stands with berings inset being utilized with a chain or belt drive propeled by a motor on a polarity switch of somesort at the 270 deg points. Ive been trying to visualize a ma and pa version better and larger than the coffee pot version and this feels right! I would guess that a key to yeild and desired fraction is the length and diameter of the 'short path' but im sure that can be figured out fairly easily.... too cool!

JColtrane

Ya gotta love tri-clamp bits for experimentation. Stuff is like Lego for so many applications...

RojiRohr has a nice ring to it. Especially when Aldrich shows $7100 CAD for that setup. Egads.

JC, how much material was left behind in the flask in the oven? Any rough numbers on yield?

Peace, RB

From what I saw there was about 30-40% that was left behind, with run time's of like 2.5hrs. But like I said he had just been playing around with it for a few days, and he was using "food grade" style oil though the system to start with. I'm sure with better quality oil things might be different. Lots of variable to dial in ... the oven was set at about 220 and the short path flask was on a d/i alky bath.

As far as the price tag, you're more in the 10k number with glassware, cold trap, and pump. Real spendy for something so small ... but anything can be dialed in :dance013:

Chonkski

My buddies that have it dialed in pull damn near close to the cannabinoid %. There is a tiny amount of degradation also.

I'm so giddy at all the new innovation, but at the same time, I hate being so broke! Lol

udaman

I picked up one of the aldrich kugelrohr setups ran a few test, went to hot because nothing was happening and got a little something that looked ok but smells really bad. any ideas let me know. will be running more tests.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Udaman, I was playing around with this concept and found that at roughly 100C a lot of terpenes came off, and between 100 and 130 I captured something that smelled like burned ass.
You might want to try 20 degree increments to separate the components rather than distilling everything at once.

udaman

So far i have tried winterized bho, winterized iso with the same results, a little bit of something that resembles the clear in other completely clear liquid. i have a GC to test the results but have not done it yet because the result was so small and smelled so bad. Gonna try adding some D-lim next.

HG23

Any updates from you guys trying the short path distillation?

As a side question, do you guys think a centerfuge could be part of the final refinement process? I feel like that's been discussed before but I couldn't find it in any of the other "clear" threads I searched.

Roji

It's going to take a fancy glass set up, a mongo pump, a stirring mantle and a learning curve. The Kug is just too slow.

Im not sure where the original post is, but I felt it was pretty flushed out that the big producers of distillate are most likely using a Meyer short path, which uses centripetal force in addition to a vacuum to distill THC and CBD products. They are upwards of 40K and above depending on the size. I wish I remember who posted about this a while back but they confirmed there are at least two being used for this purpose in WA. I agree the Kug is most likely not the weapon of choice by the big boys making the clear.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im not sure where the original post is, but I felt it was pretty flushed out that the big producers of distillate are most likely using a Meyer short path, which uses centripetal force in addition to a vacuum to distill THC and CBD products. They are upwards of 40K and above depending on the size. I wish I remember who posted about this a while back but they confirmed there are at least two being used for this purpose in WA. I agree the Kug is most likely not the weapon of choice by the big boys making the clear.

Google molecular distillation..........

http://www.myers-vacuum.com/lab3.shtml

http://www.popeinc.com/still-products

That would be the unit that I was referencing thanks GW. The point I was driving at is while I believe it is feasible to produce a "clear" product with a Kug that it is not what is being used by the clear folks at this point but rather something like the Meyer machine or an equivalently capable piece. Regardless, these are much more expensive than a Kug in addition to being much more capable.

HG23

Hey guys I have been researching Kugelrohrs in anticipation of buying one. Pretty interesting to see the different versions and improvements they made along the way. However, I think the unit is too small for my needs and too expensive for what it is.

Anyways, I was reading the patent on the device and noticed a couple things:

1. The patent is due to expire from the 20 year limit in 2016.

2. It looks like they forgot to pay their patent maintenance fee and the patent actually expired in 2011.

I don't know anything about patents, but I'm curious if Chinese copy cats will be available soon for much cheaper. What do you think? The patent can be found with a simple google search, the info about the missed fee payment is in the legal notes at the bottom.

Shit, I know how to work Alibaba, maybe I'll just message a lab equipment company and alert them to a possible new product we want that they can rip off soon, lol. I'd bet they could also make up a larger version which would be nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts