What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenator Solvent: Iso-butane vs N-butane

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neither is a solvent for terps. Hexane or oxygen combined in a supercritical fluid is what I use for terps.

May I suggest that you not mix oxygen and terpene hydrocarbons, before subjecting them to high pressure. Have you ever heard of dieselizing?

Be there for the extractionSpontanious combustion or ice plugs are your main concerns along w not becoming oxygen enriched 20%. Never heard of oxygen ear wax? They call everything wax these days. Its where the whipping bho wives tales begun. Butane wishes it was O2 Ear Wax, but can not compare since there's that inflictedtaste thing happening w butane. There is no inherit taste when co2, ethanol, and oxygen are tuning up the co2 and targeting specific areas thaeld that has the most sweet taste. However if it were fractionated and the primary extract was isolated, then what is yielded after that is lacking flavor, high, and would contain ballast if was done for yield only purpose for profit attitude was exercised. Gray wolf, have you been working w Eden Labs having them perform co2 extractions for you? If you are, tell Roger or Rorey to set conditions for 800psi and 85F to have an ideal extract. 200UNDENATURED ethyl alcohol as co-solvent @ 2% wt wt and be there for the extraction. Remind them to vacuum purge or more preferably rotovap to rid of all the co2 residues, hahahahaha.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be there for the extractionSpontanious combustion or ice plugs are your main concerns along w not becoming oxygen enriched 20%. Never heard of oxygen ear wax? They call everything wax these days. Its where the whipping bho wives tales begun. Butane wishes it was O2 Ear Wax, but can not compare since there's that inflictedtaste thing happening w butane. There is no inherit taste when co2, ethanol, and oxygen are tuning up the co2 and targeting specific areas thaeld that has the most sweet taste. However if it were fractionated and the primary extract was isolated, then what is yielded after that is lacking flavor, high, and would contain ballast if was done for yield only purpose for profit attitude was exercised. Gray wolf, have you been working w Eden Labs having them perform co2 extractions for you? If you are, tell Roger or Rorey to set conditions for 800psi and 85F to have an ideal extract. 200UNDENATURED ethyl alcohol as co-solvent @ 2% wt wt and be there for the extraction. Remind them to vacuum purge or more preferably rotovap to rid of all the co2 residues, hahahahaha.

I have not been having Eden Labs do extractions for me, I have been working with extractions that they make and share, as they research their own path to the holy grail.

Now that we have our own loaner JYNdustrez DIY unit to play with, we too are experimenting, though we are as limited as you are by a using scuba tank design, with no pumps.

We are also in communication with other labs doing CO2 extraction using Eden Labs and Apeks machines, so hopefully eventually we will get tutored and have our arms around the process.

proper215

Wort Chiller

Wort Chiller

Nice call on the chiller ... actually, already built one .... super cheap, and works awesome. It's kinda my secret weapon ... guess not anymore, lol

i would like to see how you got this set up. Also is it worth setting up?

Breakover

Water is undesired in an extraction. Even the 5% water in 190 proof is not desired, so I use the 200 proof UNDENATURED for best results. So yeah moisture is thy enemy and one reason I fully decarboxylate the material prior to extraction as the returns are better w the cannabinoids in their nuetral forms vs their acid forms. So any water in the extraction is going to pull chloroform and leave a darker extraction needing to be winterized in efforts to lighten it up. Hot gravity filtration w activated charcoal.

Fully decarbed before extraction, eh?

Are all the co2 guys doing this? How are there any mono- or diterpenes left at all after decarboxylation?

dybert

I have not been having Eden Labs do extractions for me, I have been working with extractions that they make and share, as they research their own path to the holy grail.

Now that we have our own loaner JYNdustrez DIY unit to play with, we too are experimenting, though we are as limited as you are by a using scuba tank design, with no pumps.

We are also in communication with other labs doing CO2 extraction using Eden Labs and Apeks machines, so hopefully eventually we will get tutored and have our arms around the process.

We are about to bring our upgraded 5L machine online! (Fully upgraded with a liquid pump etc). I will post some pics once we get it fired up, I'm super excited :)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We are about to bring our upgraded 5L machine online! (Fully upgraded with a liquid pump etc). I will post some pics once we get it fired up, I'm super excited :)

Whose system did you upgrade bro? What upgrades did you make?

dybert

We have a very old Eden system which is a high pressure 5L extractor. (Built by Andy of Apeks when he was still at Eden). We upgraded it in house from the CO2 Gas Booster pump to the faster flow liquid CO2 pump.

We did contract Eden for a couple pieces, but in the future we will be doing all of it in house. For various reasons.

dybert

Here is the first picture of our upgraded, high flow 5L extractor. This unit pumps liquid co2 instead of gas, allowing for a much faster extraction.

picture.php

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the first picture of our upgraded, high flow 5L extractor. This unit pumps liquid co2 instead of gas, allowing for a much faster extraction.

View Image

Sweet! Are you using a pneumatic intensifier or mechanical pumps?

We ran through our share of ice last summer. We get a lot of snow here so winter was nice. A few shovels full and you're done. Once it started to melt, it was time to upgrade. We figure it will pay for itself this year.

If you do go with a freezer, I'd strongly recommend that you use convoluted stainless lines only. Rubber hoses crack at deep freeze temps, and I wouldn't trust the Teflon core stainless braid hose at those temps either.

Northern Lab, have you noticed an increase in running time from the lower pressure associated with convoluted/corrugated hoses?

JointOperation

By far the best butanes are Ronson, Bernzomzatic, and Vector.

ronson and zippoo .. are what im using now.. i did a side by side ronson vs vector 5x vs vector 14x.. and ronson was way better.

from what i was told ronson and zippoo are the same company.. and now are actually competing with other butane because they realized a few extra steps in filtering and cleaning it up.. and there butane will fly off the shelves for extracts.

Lono

I am currently requesting bids for instrument grade sources of n-Propane, without ethyl mercaptans added for leak detection, from Airgas, Matheson, and our cheapest GC gas supplier, Industrial Source.

There is a guy up in WA that uses research grade. An LP-5 is $1200 or something like that. Is that really necessary or will the instrument grade suffice?

Any propane users here? Would love to hear some more about it.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a guy up in WA that uses research grade. An LP-5 is $1200 or something like that. Is that really necessary or will the instrument grade suffice?

Any propane users here? Would love to hear some more about it.

The higher purity means that it has less ethane and butane in it, neither of which is an issue. We use Instrument grade.

Check WA regulations, as I seem to recall that they they specify the purity level required.

pusbag

You have exactly the setup i'm trying to get. The ice baths for the 50# tank sucks, ive got through like 15 bags of ice in 2 weeks. Guess i'll be moving my freezer out of the basement so i can use that. Good work and info man, cant wait to see the numbers. Im in eastern WA and can't find anywhere to test except seattle, so im jealous of your testing capabilities lol. Good idea with the couples second dump out liquid to get the pressure back up in the tank, that was my one thought with the freezer is that initial first run would be long due to the lower pressure in the tank
Hey a6, im in the Spokane area and I also run a mk3. Would love to meet up sometime to share tips of our trade and meet other extractor in the area. Here's my email: xtremextracts@gmail.com

ple1ades

I just ran n-propane from eco green came out great nice and blond. I then did a iso-butane run from eco green right after came out great nice and blond. I will be doing a n-butane run next I am in need of another tank I am trying to keep my gas isolated. I am running a terpp mk4 with great results after two runs. I will be doing more tests for yield and texture.

IlDeuceIV

Hey guys Im just getting into the CLS's and got a passive (hot and cold transfer) unit...I bought a blend tank from ecogreen of 70%n-butane and 30% N-Propane, and have done two runs, both of which yielded dark stable oil....This is my first time running N-butane or any butane that isnt from a can for that matter. Is the N-butane picking up the dark color? Or am I soaking the material too long? I soaked the material column for 30 mins the first run and 15 mins the second run. Both products were the same dark color and the second run yielded about 2/3 what the first did. This has me thinking its the solvent and not the soak times or the 120F hot water bath I use to recover and warm butane tank for the initial soaking. everything has been done in a garage at about 1 F temps. what am I doing wrong here to end up with such dark oil? I was going for nice light shatter. I havent ran the dewaxing column yet as I want to get my tech down first. the trim is high quality 2 weeks old...please help

Was the trim frozen and allowed to thaw before extraction? Exposed to direct sunlight/high heat for extended period? 120 wouldn't turn a light young trim into dark oil.