What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenator Solvent: Iso-butane vs N-butane

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I cleaned my #50 tank today. I cleaned it because I noticed it was leaking where the valves screw into the tank, just barley though, i had water up around the valves an noticed a few bubbles coming from the threads, they only seal the top of the threads with some sealant. I'm going to put yellow thread tape on it so it doesn't leak anymore. Also The inside was pretty gross, maybe rust? I don't know but i washed it out with iso and soapy water, i hope that got most of it. They oil I've been making has been awesome and very smooth so I don't think it was contaminating the oil. Ordering another one today or tomorrow, to keep more butane in as a storage tank, almost want to order 2 so I have a new one for running with.

And ya I'm going to the hardware store today to get the connections to start running the tamisiums with the recovery pump. Then I can compare the two machines even though I already know the mkiii is better, i mean damn look how many more valves it has, heh heh... Ill be recovering though the vapor port on the bottom recovery pot and pulling butane from the #50 tank though the top valve on the column, that should speed up these things instead of taking 6-8 hours for one run lol.

Lately with the mkiii I run 1lb of butane every pass and do 5 passes, as long as my tank is cold the whole run takes about 45 min plus prep & clean up about 45 also since I'm slow lol. But 1.5 hours a run is pretty good i think. The refrigerant scale is a must, I wouldn't even run this machine without it for fear of overfilling or something, because I counted too long or something. With the scale I know exactly what I'm running and recovering.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I wonder if you ended up with a recycled refrigerant recovery tank, instead of a new one.

Some folks have done so and found them to be pretty nasty inside. The tanks had new paint and valves and looked new.

A6 Grower

Veteran
I was woundering the same thing, i've never seen the inside of a tank before so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. Seems rough on the inside can't see too well but I know it wasn't clean lol. But I'm sure it's clean now, i let the tank air out for a day to ensure its dry on the inside, today I'll refill it with 10 lbs of canned tane. I'm having the hardest time getting n-butane, airgas refused and praxair hasn't called back, gonna hound them more this week.

Lizard's Garden

I was woundering the same thing, i've never seen the inside of a tank before so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. Seems rough on the inside can't see too well but I know it wasn't clean lol. But I'm sure it's clean now, i let the tank air out for a day to ensure its dry on the inside, today I'll refill it with 10 lbs of canned tane. I'm having the hardest time getting n-butane, airgas refused and praxair hasn't called back, gonna hound them more this week.

Just a heads up most canned gas contains some propane and it has alot higher pressure when warm. It will still have pressure at -20F unlike n-butane or isobutane. Make sure the vessel you shoot it into is rated for 150lbs if it is going to hold any substantial amount of liquid canned gas during recovery.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Thanks for the heads up, when I finished filling the tank I chuck it in the freezer for a couple hours then open up the vapor valve and off Gass the propane and Stuff to leave me with mostly butane. This time when I filled my tank I packed my column full of charcoal, and used the butane supply valve connected to my can tapper. So the mkiii was run as normal just pulling butane from the cans and putting it in the #50 tank while filtering/cleaning it. Last time I filled my tank I cleaned the butane after I filled the tank. This worked much better I think.

LowWater

Back to the original question, given the greater surface area of n-Butane, and its higher boiling point due to greater London forces between its molecules, isn't it plausible that you could rationalize the inclusion of a few additional molecules of water and subsequent retention of terpenes, terpenoids and flavonoids in the final extract?

Yea or nea?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back to the original question, given the greater surface area of n-Butane, and its higher boiling point due to greater London forces between its molecules, isn't it plausible that you could rationalize the inclusion of a few additional molecules of water and subsequent retention of terpenes, terpenoids and flavonoids in the final extract?

Yea or nea?

Water solubility for both butanes are the same at .0325 vol/vol, which is about 32 ml/L.

Ostensibly the lower boiling point of Isobutane would make it easier to purge, leaving more monoterpenes.

ExtremusMaximus

Cheers, fellows:

I having absorbed this thread but still need to back up and find the original threads that this started with. My team is building our own extractor and it is looking pretty good so far, fortunately a friend on the team owns a machine shop, but even so, our first unit is relatively small. I am trying to get AirGas to cooperate in order to get n-butane, but my friends want to use 95% pure Colibri. Fortunately, his shop has a licensed refrigeration mechanic on staff, so we should be able to get it, but since they don't stock it locally, we'll probably have to buy it in the 20 pound tanks - despite my having already invested in three Alloy & Millipore stainless tanks. I also just purchased a Flash Chromatography system from an online auction and was hoping to see the development of your efforts since mentioning that in the previous posts. Is that going on yet? I am anxious to absorb any knowledge your guys can share, and vice-versa if I ever get to that point where I have something new and valuable to offer. ++Reps all around!

Water is undesired in an extraction. Even the 5% water in 190 proof is not desired, so I use the 200 proof UNDENATURED for best results. So yeah moisture is thy enemy and one reason I fully decarboxylate the material prior to extraction as the returns are better w the cannabinoids in their nuetral forms vs their acid forms. So any water in the extraction is going to pull chloroform and leave a darker extraction needing to be winterized in efforts to lighten it up. Hot gravity filtration w activated charcoal.

Winterizing is when you dilute the extract 2:1 ratio ethanol:extract freshly blasted. Heated to near its boiling point after activated charcoal has been added to absorb impurities it's filtered through a sinster or buchner funnel and chilled to -50F and held there 48hrs where it is filtered again. This time the target is wax and or ballast since supercritical is a bit more powerful than needed or desired when potency is of concern. Since most extracts of mine are done around 800 psi. Winterizing is something seldomly done, but at times plant matter has blown out and winterizing had to be done to filter out plant matter in the same way. I hate diluting the extract and resort to distilling and reclaiming the solvent for re-use, but a wate of time and solvent as there isn't 100% recovery. Whenever possible I avoid filtration, but there's times its a god send.

nakadashi

co2extraction... can you please stop sounding like a moron?
He might be a moron, or he might be a genius and we're the morons who don't recognize his brilliance.

Btw co2extractor, on the topic of cocks -- are you just here to stroke your own or are you trying to help? Your explanation of winterization was lacking in substantive knowledge and abundant in fluff.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers, fellows:

I having absorbed this thread but still need to back up and find the original threads that this started with. My team is building our own extractor and it is looking pretty good so far, fortunately a friend on the team owns a machine shop, but even so, our first unit is relatively small. I am trying to get AirGas to cooperate in order to get n-butane, but my friends want to use 95% pure Colibri. Fortunately, his shop has a licensed refrigeration mechanic on staff, so we should be able to get it, but since they don't stock it locally, we'll probably have to buy it in the 20 pound tanks - despite my having already invested in three Alloy & Millipore stainless tanks. I also just purchased a Flash Chromatography system from an online auction and was hoping to see the development of your efforts since mentioning that in the previous posts. Is that going on yet? I am anxious to absorb any knowledge your guys can share, and vice-versa if I ever get to that point where I have something new and valuable to offer. ++Reps all around!

The Colibri that we tested, was not as free of residual contaminants as some of the other brands tested.

We get good extraction with either n-Butane or Isobutane. The problem is not efficiently extracting the terpenes, it is holding on to them during purge.

We get the most aromatic extractions using butane, and the least using Hexane, because of the extra purging needed for such a large molecule.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For what its worth, JYNdustrez loaned us a DIY scuba SCFE CO2 extractor, and we've been experimenting with it.

So far we've done two four hour runs at 4200 psi to prove out the equipment, but will start experimenting at lower pressures.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is winterization?

Winterization is extracting an oleoresin or concrete using a non polar solvent like butane or hexane, and redissolving it in a polar solvent like alcohol, before freezing it to subzero temperatures to cause the non polar waxes to precipitate out of solution, so that they may be removed by filtration.