What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

przcvctm

przcvctm, hey, how you doing? i've looked at the links provided, thank you. it looks to me that axis would be a good medium, but it's cost is a little high and it does not out perform turface. they are both are mostly quartz silica, even though one is made by geologic forces and one is made by sea creatures.

they have big differences in water holding capacity. turface holds it own weight in water when saturated. axis holds 110% of it's weight in water. but turface is 35 lbs per cu ft. and axis is 16.8 lbs per cu ft. 35 lbs divided by 7.9, which is the weight of a gal of fresh water, equals 4.43 gal. axis at 16.8 lbs times 110% is 18.48 lbs. divided by 7.9 is 2.33 gals. by reference a cu ft is 7.49 gals.

i paid $9 a 50 lb bag for turface several years ago, the price today is still only $11 per bag.

turface, which is mined from one site in georgia, has a fair amount of ca and mg and acts like a storehouse for these as well as p and k. axis does not have the storage capacity of turface.

Delta9, Axis is more expensive. I guess I'm fortunate enough that paying $.50/lb doesn't seem that much. Especially when it can be re-used.

But you've answered what it is that I've been trying to understand from your past experience using Turface in a Hempy. I'm sure I read at another site long ago that Turface held too much water for a 2" res., and that you eventually drilled a shallow res. or none at all, allowing your nutes/watering to drain to waste for better results. By you calculations above, with the same volume hempy bucket, the Axis would hold about hold about half as much water and looks to be more appropriate for the application.

Thanks to all who took time to look at the links.

D

Dalaihempy

Whats the largest hempy bucket anyone knows about?

I am thinking about making a really big one for outdoors use...

Cheers!

Hi look i can only go by what i my self have seen and experemented with i have used large tubs but i found the ones i have in my basic formula that i posted for all work great i mean if i can get just over 19 oz cured from one plant in a 10 lt bucket indoors out will do well with longer vegging.

If you want to go large i would say go something like a garbage bin no larger no point.

But you need to know that running these out doors have its probs being mostly rain.

In rain the buckets will fill and the drain hole will not be able to drain fast inuf the medium will become loos and plant if top heavy will fall seen it happen to me so if your going to do them out doors just rember that.

I have used them out doors and had great resolts to but no methods perfict.

D

Dalaihempy

hi przcvctm sounds intresting read the first link tierd here late nights but i couldnt see what the ph of it was im thinking its ph nutreal.

I would give it a go but like turface it may need to drain and could act like i found coco core acting wich in short did not drain and work as it should if i used 100% coco core.

So what i did was fill the rez with perlite and that was all it needed to work but i could of use glay rocks coco chips bascly any thing that will allow the top medium to drain so maybe this also may need a simila aproch.

solarz

Great! :woohoo:
Out with it solarz!!! What do you use? I'd love to get in to this? don't keep us in suspense

Sorry for the suspense bro...but here's basically what i do.

I mix my hempy/massP buckets in layers. I make the top layer (transplant layer) mostly N, and then go from there with the remaining layers. The thought is to replicate the actual nutrient/water table of the earth. MJ roots do different things, and so i try to provide each set of roots what they need. I hope this is making sense...im a little blazed.

But as the plant matures and roots grow, each layer in the bucket gives what it needs. So as the layers go down, i start lessening the N levels, and increasing P and K...again, i hope this makes sense. I have a pic somewhere of one of my root masses from the hempy/massp that i'm talking about. it will show a better view of how i layer them.

Other than the actual makin of the bucket...its pretty simple from there on out. I just water every 2-3 days or so with plain water, liquid karma, and blackstrap molasses. I've ran this side by side with regular hempy buckets (using both perlite/vermiculite mix as well as straight coco). I have to admit that the organic buckets definitely out perform the other buckets. Thats why i've stuck with them for so long...not to mention the simplicity of it all. No ph monitoring, no mixing/bubbling nute...nada. Give it a go, i did and haven't looked back.

solarz

deviant1

just switched to hempy 6 days ago

just switched to hempy 6 days ago

I hope im in the right place, I posted 2 days ago and have no one who knows what hempy buckets even are. I jus have a simple question, I wanna know what feeding schedule I should be using? I have 1 indica and 1 sativa at the moment that should double ina few weeks. I use flornova grow and floralicious plus, what strength should I use, should I use the lucas formula? jus a lil help will straighten me out. thanks in advace

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
thanks solarz, that sounds easier after the initial set up. how long do you veg for? the way i'm running right now, I'm going to have a few plants that have a pretty long veg time, and would have to let the later ones grow a bit slower. i dunno. thanks for posting the idea.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
deviant1- i'd start @ 1/4 strength and work my way up. I've found that my ladies don't like full strength.

deviant1

dubwise, 1/4 strength of what? lucas? nova grow? nova grow & floralicious plus? I really wanna know what others might suggest about what nutes to use. 1/4 is usually where I start them, but these 2 ladies are almost 60 days old. they have had some rough times, they were in dwc before this. I also really wanna know, how often to feed more than anything else. should I do 2-3 times a day or what?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Sorry. I use the GH 3 part w/ Sugar Daddy & Liquid Karma. I use 1/4 strength of the 3 part and 2 tsp of SD and 1 tsp of LK during veg. The only real change I do is in flower where I use 1/2 strength GH 3 part and 4 tsp SD + 2 tsp LK.
I have one plant that I've been feeding a tea made of guano & molasses, started this week, and notice no real changes compared to the other plants.
The plants in veg usually get fed a little each day (sometimes they don't need it and I wont feed) in flower the plants usually get fed every 3 days...sometimes they need more, sometimes less. This works best for me, my work schedule takes me away a few days a week and so far this method has worked for me.

Harvest time - Been away from the Hempy thread for a while so I didn't see your post regarding Hempy with SCROG under 400 watts till today.

I've SCROGed under 400 watts of t-5 fluorescent using a single 5 gal Hempy and routinely got 8-10 oz without much trouble. I vegged for about 6 weeks.

Hope that helps.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
what do you folks think...I've got one lady that is scheduled to veg for around 5 months. if this plant were scrogged, would 1000w be enough to flower her in my flowering room? The room is 8'x8'x16' (roughly)...and...would a plant this size be in the way of other plants in that room?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, people!

i promised yield reports on my 10 gal all perlite plants.

the first is cut and dried and yielded 11.39 oz.

not quite as good as my best in a 5 gal bucket, which was 11.47.

i looked at my yield records for the 5 gal containers and they average 9.86 oz.

one plant doesn't mean much but i've got 10 more coming out a week apart.

i will report those also.

d9

N

noone4u

Does anyone keep a mom in hempy?

Im planning on it and want to hear if there is anyone doing it already..

Thanks

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've got one too! Well...I had one, and she was a beast. I put her in flower two weeks ago and she's getting real nice. I messed up when I first chose her as the mama...took too many cuttings off of the bottom and the top grew huge. I got about 30 cuttings off of her and then I moved her to flower. I have another one I'm designating as a mom and I'll put her in a 30 gal. hempy bucket next week. I'd like to try that mothers formula.. but I don't know if it is necessary or not.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
delta-how long did that 10 gal. hempy veg for? and how much light was it under for both vegging & flower? Just curious...I've got a perpetual growing right now and I'll have a 8-12 plants that will have a long veg time.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I run 3 part GH nutrients @ 1/4 strength, Liquid Karma @ 1 tsp./gal & sugar daddy @ 2 tsp./gal. I'm working on losing the 3 part and sugar daddy and working with guano (10-2-1) karma and molasses. I'll post if it has any success. I've recently learned not to read the bottles and read the plants more.

Last edited: