What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hermie after Hermie after Hermie

psychopro

Hi guys,

i have a major problem and it lets me not sleep well. I made 3 grows so far and everyone hermied so far.
I am using a 140x90x200 tent with 3 vents and a Mars Hydro 1200,Hans Panel 180w and a cheap 300W amazon led.

I am flowering my plants in 8l pots with canna professional plus soil and feeding them every 2-3 days with BAC organics 1l water not ph'ed because i am using only organic nutrients.
Feeding like it says on the bottle 2/3ml each liter Bloom 1/3ml each 1l pk booster and a bit of grow to give some nitrogen.

I already checked for light leaks and temp is around 24-26 degree and humidity is around 40-50%...
I really dont get why every groe hermies...
I am using genetics from karma,thseeds or bodhi..
Sometimes fems sometimes reg..

From the pics in your previous thread you have a problem with either the soil, nutes or water not hermies. A plant going hermies looks the same as a normal plant it just tosses out ball sacks in the buds. The pics in your previous thread showed a incredibly sick plant that doesn't happen cause of it going hermies. They've gone hermies as a result of all the stress they've gone through not the other way around.

You need to get a ph/ppm meter so you can measure stuff especially if your having issues like this. I'm not personally familiar with that brand of soil or nutes. I gotta go back to sleep I have to be at work in 3hrs but after I get off I'll check around and see if I can dig up some info on them. You can't reliably go by feed charts on nute bottles/websites they usually recommend way too much and you'll burn your plants which could've happened here. You need a quality meter to measure the*ph/ppm of your feed solutions and also check runoff to see what's going on inside the root zone. Another thing I'd wonder about is are you using tap water and if it might be dirty or contaminated. I only use RO water myself my local tap water is so dirty I won't even brush my teeth with it and it looks like urine at times.

Again you're problem isn't that your plants are going hermies you have issues with soil/nutes causing them to stress out.

Weird for some reason this post is showing up twice but when I tried to edit one both got edited so I couldn't delete one of them. Maybe my tablet is bugging out lol

Last edited:

psychopro

From the pics in your previous thread you have a problem with either the soil, nutes or water not hermies. A plant going hermies looks the same as a normal plant it just tosses out ball sacks in the buds. The pics in your previous thread showed a incredibly sick plant that doesn't happen cause of it going hermies. They've gone hermies as a result of all the stress they've gone through not the other way around.

You need to get a ph/ppm meter so you can measure stuff especially if your having issues like this. I'm not personally familiar with that brand of soil or nutes. I gotta go back to sleep I have to be at work in 3hrs but after I get off I'll check around and see if I can dig up some info on them. You can't reliably go by feed charts on nute bottles/websites they usually recommend way too much and you'll burn your plants which could've happened here. You need a quality meter to measure the ph/ppm of your feed solutions and also check runoff to see what's going on inside the root zone. Another thing I'd wonder about is are you using tap water and if it might be dirty or contaminated. I only use RO water myself my local tap water is so dirty I won't even brush my teeth with it and it looks like urine at times.
The tap water here is fully drinkable. It has a pretty high ph 8.0-8.5 but i thought because i am using organic nutes and ever run fresh soil it will buffer it.
My plants leaves doesn't show any type of nute burn or nute defiency. Only the lower stems look underdeveloped and not good.It is the third time i now have hermies i am also thinking about giving up because it freaks me out everytime i found seeds.

troutman

Seed Whore
The tap water here is fully drinkable. It has a pretty high ph 8.0-8.5

#1:There's one of your problems right there. In soil, aim for pH 6.2 to 6.6.

#2: In real soil, you shouldn't be feeding as often as you do or use a lot less when you do.

The tap water here is fully drinkable. It has a pretty high ph 8.0-8.5 but i thought because i am using organic nutes and ever run fresh soil it will buffer it.
My plants leaves doesn't show any type of nute burn or nute defiency. Only the lower stems look underdeveloped and not good.It is the third time i now have hermies i am also thinking about giving up because it freaks me out everytime i found seeds.

Good Lord that's a high ph that could be your issue right there. Bottom line is something is definitely wrong with your soil and or nutes. Soil can buffer to a extant but it's got a limit if your feed water is too far out of range. Cannabis likes a ph of around 6.0-6.5 in soil so you got to get that under control. I'd never grow without a ph/ppm meter it's one of If not the most important tools without it your flying blind usually. I gotta go back to sleep I'll look up that soil and nutes later. Good luck dude peace

psychopro

#1:There's one of your problems right there. In soil, aim for pH 6.2 to 6.6.

#2: In real soil, you shouldn't be feeding as often as you do or use a lot less when you do.

Ok thanks for the help.
So bottom line is i should only feed once a week.
I thought when using organic nutes ph is not too important because my soil will buffer it.
I will post my ph/ec of my tap water and will use ph down in the future.

troutman

Seed Whore
The thing about feeding is that less is more.

If you use less nutrients your plants only grow a little slower.

If you use too much the plants suffer and the leaves fry.

As long as you learn you'll do better next time and that's what counts.

psychopro

The thing about feeding is that less is more.

If you use less nutrients your plants only grow a little slower.

If you use too much the plants suffer and the leaves fry.

As long as you learn you'll do better next time and that's what counts.

But i don't get why the rest of the leaves don't show any type of nute burn or defiency. Only the lower stems who get no light look bad.. also they don't get yellow the just get all grey and die.

But i don't get why the rest of the leaves don't show any type of nute burn or defiency. Only the lower stems who get no light look bad.. also they don't get yellow the just get all grey and die.

The soil/nutes may be no good along with the feed waters ph being very alkaline. You really need to be able to measure things is the bottom line especially when you're having such major issues. I'm guessing the main problem here is ph related. If soil growing is so hard for you maybe try a simple easy hydro method like hempy buckets. Just get a bunch of perlite and some simple hydro nutes like general hydroponics or something. If you want to know more about hempys I can explain it to you just post a thread or message me. But either way you'll need a way to measure ppm/ec and the ph of both the feed and runoff solutions. I gtg to work good luck man

DJXX

Veteran
5.8 to 6.2 ph for me...nute shock or stress of some kind...get a ph pen and feed them half strength nutes and as they get bigger strengthn the food....sounds like you have everything else pretty sweet....get calibration liquid, calibrate your PH pen and bet these go away..DJXX

psychopro

5.8 to 6.2 ph for me...nute shock or stress of some kind...get a ph pen and feed them half strength nutes and as they get bigger strengthn the food....sounds like you have everything else pretty sweet....get calibration liquid, calibrate your PH pen and bet these go away..DJXX

I have a PH/EC pen i just thought it is not important with organic nutes because the soil will do the job and adjust for me. But i got proven wrong and i wish i knew that before ruining my crop for the third time now.

psychopro

Good Lord that's a high ph that could be your issue right there. Bottom line is something is definitely wrong with your soil and or nutes. Soil can buffer to a extant but it's got a limit if your feed water is too far out of range. Cannabis likes a ph of around 6.0-6.5 in soil so you got to get that under control. I'd never grow without a ph/ppm meter it's one of If not the most important tools without it your flying blind usually. I gotta go back to sleep I'll look up that soil and nutes later. Good luck dude peace

Checked my tap water.
PH -> 7.8
EC -> 443
Water temp i use is 21-22 degree

MrBungle

check the seams of your tent, you are letting light in somewhere, nutes and high pH don't cause plants to hermie

psychopro

check the seams of your tent, you are letting light in somewhere, nutes and high pH don't cause plants to hermie

That was my first intention but couldn't point a light leak out. The room outside of the grow box is dark and inside the only light i am seeing is a green led from the outtake vent and climate control unit but i don't think this is strong enough.
But i will give it again a chance and sit inside the box for 15min with all the lights on outside the box.

GoatCheese

Veteran
nutes and high pH don't cause plants to hermie
Yes they do.
Thou intersextrait is genetic, it is also shows up because of stress And over feeding and seriously bad pH level causes stress.
= it's a survival mechanism to make seeds if the plant/polulation feels it is in danger of being wiped out.

I have read many times it's adviced to go easy with nute strenght (esp. Nitrogen) because plants can start growing nanners because of this. ..especialy with "landrace genetics", which usually don't need as much feeding as modern inbred polyhybrids.

Ofcourse some plants are more sensitive than others.
-
-

For psychopro, as you have now learned the hard way, it's not wise to assume things, especialy cause we have the internet.Easy to find good information and advise. But it's also not wise to believe everything fellow growers post on forums cause some of us can also take assumptions as fact.

Grow guides, videos and books are easy to find around the internet for free, so it's better to read/check on the basics than to assume things are this-and-that.

Don't feel too bad, you only lost some time and money. I have been there too. Messed up quite a few grows. You'll get there. Just try to get the basics in check and you should be harvesting some weed next time.

In short. Read and ask things around the forums.Don't assume you know. There are many old timers and experienced growers here on IC Mag who are happy to help. But you're better of asking someone else than me :)

MrBungle

Interesting Goat Cheese, I've caused many problems to my plants over the years due to water with high pH (8.5 out of the tap), and newbie nute mistakes... but they never cause my plants to herm... Only time they have ever thrown nanners was from seed that was caused by herm (light leak).... timer mistakes... or light leaks...

have you checked your timer psychopro?

P

Pinnate

If you collect and use rainwater you can throw that pen away. Your water is bad out the tap.
Indeed, tapwater is never a good idea, with all the dissolved shit it has ─ rainwater is near-perfect, with pH below 7.0, but run-off from a roof can often fuck things up by introducing high pH contaminants, and lead flashing is dissolved somewhat by rainwater ─ I sure don't want lead ions around my girls roots...

I distill my tapwater, BTW!

psychopro

Interesting Goat Cheese, I've caused many problems to my plants over the years due to water with high pH (8.5 out of the tap), and newbie nute mistakes... but they never cause my plants to herm... Only time they have ever thrown nanners was from seed that was caused by herm (light leak).... timer mistakes... or light leaks...

Yes checked the timer, it is running on 12/12.

GoatCheese

Veteran

So, basically you're claiming that over fertilization and wrong pH does not stress the plant.

Go to DJ Short sub-forum here and tell the fan-boys that DJ has hermie genetics and that over feeding Blueberry does not cause them to hermie at all. I bet you'll get ton of arguments against that view. Passionate arguments, i'd say. LOL:biggrin:

I've read it's especially Nitrogen over dose that can make plants hermie, like i already wrote.

Also, it's the AMOUNT of stress the plant goes thru, so it can be many factors at once that will cause them enough stress to go hermi.

Some plants are more sensitive than others, like i wrote in the post.