What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield was no different for multifeeds

t99

Veteran
What is your set up? Light, temp, RH, grow style?
Feeding 3+ times a day yields better than once a day for me, but if you don't have the light to utilize it, I think it would just be a waste.

tiffa

Vertical double cooltube, 1200w and about 850w of side lighting in 8 foot square room (approx 50w/sq foot) in coco
Lights on temp 25-27 degrees c - lights out 20-22
Veg RH 80-95 - Flower RH 60-70
Style is anything from 10 plants to 3 trees.

I've tried upto 8 feeds a day - It really doesn't make any difference compared to a wet dry cycle....admit it

t99

Veteran
What container sizes? I think anything over 2 gal/7.57 litre doesn't work well for multi. For me, the coco doesn't dry out enough between feeds to make more than 3 worth it. I think the point of multi is for it dry (still damp of course) between feedings so you're adding oxygenated feed water back to the roots.
If I feed once a day, the coco is almost too dry before the next feed. Have to have a well aerated medium for it to work. If the coco is too compact, it won't "dry" quick enough to make it worth it.

MikeGreat

Multifeeds did not work for me.. As mentioned on top if your container is too big or you don't have plenty of lights the room then Multifeeds will not work.... I feed every two days and i never let the coco go dry and I have gotten the best results using this method...

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Vertical double cooltube, 1200w and about 850w of side lighting in 8 foot square room (approx 50w/sq foot) in coco
Lights on temp 25-27 degrees c - lights out 20-22
Veg RH 80-95 - Flower RH 60-70
Style is anything from 10 plants to 3 trees.

I've tried upto 8 feeds a day - It really doesn't make any difference compared to a wet dry cycle....admit it

Maybe you are the one that has to admit you failed where others have succeeded :biggrin: Read this thread, it will give you the answers:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=300255

Phases

I've noticed a difference when feeding 3+ times a day vs just once a day/everyother day.

And that coco trees thread is awesome. DJM really kills it!

BCNeil

It's all about pot size. If you are not drying out between feedings, multi feeds will just keep things wet.

2 gallon works great and you get over 5oz per plant.
Next grow I am actually going to try some 1 gallon.

The guy at my local hydro store thinks I am crazy using 2 gallon.......he says most of the people that buy the coco still use 5 gallon pots. I guess at worst I save a few hundred dollars on coco each year, I am too lazy to reuse.

tiffa

What container sizes? I think anything over 2 gal/7.57 litre doesn't work well for multi. For me, the coco doesn't dry out enough between feeds to make more than 3 worth it. I think the point of multi is for it dry (still damp of course) between feedings so you're adding oxygenated feed water back to the roots.
If I feed once a day, the coco is almost too dry before the next feed. Have to have a well aerated medium for it to work. If the coco is too compact, it won't "dry" quick enough to make it worth it.

It's all about pot size. If you are not drying out between feedings, multi feeds will just keep things wet.

2 gallon works great and you get over 5oz per plant.
Next grow I am actually going to try some 1 gal

The guy at my local hydro store thinks I am crazy using 2 gallon.......he says most of the people that buy the coco still use 5 gallon pots. I guess at worst I save a few hundred dollars on coco each year, I am too lazy to reuse.

Thanks..Small pot size all makes good sense...unless you wanna grow trees like me...then multifeeding or not you're gonna need a MUCH bigger pot.....I mean I veg for 5 months sometimes, 2 Gallon just wouldn't cut it...

au_

IME (by the means of my own side-by-sides), the trick seems to be multi-feeding while still allowing the full wet/dry process between each feed. So if you want to feed 8 times per day. Your pot needs to dry out 7 times per day.

t99

Veteran
Thanks..Small pot size all makes good sense...unless you wanna grow trees like me...then multifeeding or not you're gonna need a MUCH bigger pot.....I mean I veg for 5 months sometimes, 2 Gallon just wouldn't cut it...

The thread stoned40yrs linked to is called "Coco trees". Do you understand VPD basics? If not that thread is a great read.
Good luck with whatever works for you

Last edited:

t99

Veteran
Another good thread is HGO's
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=241341
And for smaller setups, Dansbuds room is a good example of multifeeding, I think he does it with 3 gallon containers.
Maybe it's just not for you, but it does work and does increase yields.
On a small setup, the increase percentage may not be enough to justify the extra nutrients, work, etc, but the increase/work ratio also depends on how dialed in the room is.

t99

Veteran
If I vegged for 5 months, I would only need 1 plant for your setup, unless it was a real slow veg strain with no stretch

jahshaka

Anyone that vegs for 5 months is not serious grower my opinion. ill let the rest decide. As for multifeeds not working and its BS why do commercial food growers employ this technique to crush it. Do some research pal before you put newbies off with your failed experiment.

jahshaka

Just read this. that is correct a big container it will not be effective. 1 to 2 gallon its the shizznitz. Anyhooo didnt mean to come across a dick. just hate when bad info spreads. hope you understand pal.