What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

furrywall11

Blue Dream is my all my all time favorite hash making strain.. damn, dude. I can't believe it...the fresh harvest indoor sherbet came out as a dark sugar wax....it has a very strong sunset sherbet nose and it's fire as hell to smoke but I thought with this material I could do no wrong. I swear there was not even a half of a single fan leaf in there. all pure crystal covered small trimmings... I have a feeling it could be due to the growers flushing method...

Also, I used to use 1 can of butane per oz of material -- there's roughly 3 cans in a lb of butane. but, I ran 3/4 of that because I wanted to pick up only the best of the best and I also turned my heating mats way down, which of course extended the recovery time, hoping that it would improve the color. idk...I'm pretty sure it's the growers flushing method...whenever I use my own organically grown cannabis or any of my neighbors who are also either full organic of use just a touch of synthetics here and there I never have these problems.

Anyways, here's what came out of that indoor sherbet

Sherbert.jpg

So strange. My buddy gave me 2 ozs of stuff that looked exactly like that. I figured it was shatter mixed with budder, but after seeing this maybe not.
If you have the time, try winterizing it, or make into honeycomb?

Here is what it looked like when I finished winterizing the stuff i got...

Not all that pretty, but was smooth, yummy, transparent and it shattered.

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 12
It could be strain/pheno or nute/flush related.

I just did a test run of 2 oz blue dream, and 2 0z green crack. Both from the same cali
indoor grower. (So I would assume both would have similar outcomes)

The blue dream came out phenomenal, great color, stable, huge yield. The green crack came out super sappy. Had to put in the freezer before I could touch it far less yield too. I didn't even bother taking pics. I used to make some yummy fudge edibles.

You never can know by looking at the buds. I now always do 1-2 oz runs first to see what I can expect from a larger run. In this case, i purchased a whole bunch more of the blue dream, obviously.

Latest run of blue dream. Far less yield than my 2 oz run. Got 12.5 off 2 ounces, and 18.2 off of 4 ounces... 22% vs 16% yield. made me wonder if it was the same blue dream... Probably was as they taste and look similar, but maybe quality lesser buds... idk

Either way, still happy. Will probably either be running mountain mist (a mix of Great White Shark x Silver Pearl )or Death star next

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 9

furrywall11

DP- I think it has to with left over mineral derived macro and micronutrients in the material..which are concentrated after extraction and then maybe they turn dark after being heated under vacuum- which would give you a dark extract. It's the only explanation I can come up with...this trim I had was honestly in the top 3 I've had in 4 years and I expected a totally different result- and it was all the same even though they were different strains: blue dream, sherbet, platinum OG, headband and, purple caddie..

As for drastic differences in yield from the same batch of material run under the same conditions- I've theorized that the material at the bottom of the bag might be drier or wetter and have more kief/crystals as they've settled to the bottom.

How much butane are your running through per OZ of material? I've heard the standard is 1 can of butane per oz of material.

Gtir

Did 100F for 6 hours purge until it was unreactive? I've found that even 106 for 18 hours still has some bubbles when I flip it. I just got some really nice indoor sherbert, platinum OG, Blue Dream and, purple cadillac..I'm still deciding how to or if to combine them...the sherbet I have to run on it's own for the sake of flavor...but, I was thinking I could mix the Blue Dream and purple caddie...The sour diesel I'm running now comes out really nice and hard a 108 for 18 hours with a flip in the middle...without the flip it budders up...

How many times do you flip? If I leave mine UNflipped it turns to crumble after a few hours it's driving me craxy

jolllysworld

I would def recommend running smaller batches 1st. half ounce or ounce batches until your friends get it right.
Just use the basic glass tubes with 3 coffee filters and some rubber bands if need be, that's what I started with.

Let me first say, I appreciate someone taking the time to document your progress. I myself am alot like u, I've read and tried things and figured it out on my own sometimes the hard way. I just want to say, rubber bands are a no no, the cold from the butane will snap the bands easily and you'll be left with crap all in your oil from the filter coming off during blasting. Please be smart and use adjustable zip ties or something stronger. Anyways, I appreciate all the info. Hit me up some time if you wanna chat...

jolllysworld

Your initial scrape just got a whole lot easier than my man! Glad I could help!

I, use PTFE (oil slick) and I line pyrex or something with the ptfe and blast right on it and I never have to scrape anything or lose a drop. After I whip it I take it out and put it in the vac. I've tried both ways and it doesn't affect the quality at all...try it one time...don't use parchment paper!

Attachments

• 20180406_165759.jpg
    20180406_165759.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 10

littlepookie

I, use PTFE (oil slick) and I line pyrex or something with the ptfe and blast right on it and I never have to scrape anything or lose a drop. After I whip it I take it out and put it in the vac. I've tried both ways and it doesn't affect the quality at all...try it one time...don't use parchment paper!
I had a friend do short path distillation of open blasted material and there was literally sulfur in it, lmao. Probably heavy metals too bro

jolllysworld

This is some shake from a couple dro strains and some mids. Not bad...I just started doing this a month ago.

Attachments

• 15234882795796782235540203980100.jpg
    15234882795796782235540203980100.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 7