What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Guide To RDWC - Part 1 - Featuring Chemdog Double Diesel & 2,000 Watts!

Snype

Veteran
Hi

I am starting today with VEG-A stage. I am starting from seeds as i don't have mothers jet ready.

I will have to veg them longer as you did from clones but everything else should be the same as in your's tutorial.

I am bit afraid of overgrow so i will not veg them any longer than 4 weeks.
I just got seeds yesterday from local shop. They are Great White Shark.
I have them once growing in soil and it was pretty sweet smoke but point is i got them for free so i didn't have any chance as to take them:).

When building the systems I followed your tutorial to point so all errors that may occur will be due to my lack of knowledge on rdwc.
Now i run ebb'n'flow system which give's me good results but i got new place where will be 3 your's 10 site systems.
Since i was little short on investment at the and i have to use lights that i already had.
So i have:
2 systems with 3 cool tube with 2x600w and 1x400w.
1 system with 3 cool tubes with 3x600w.

The systems are set to get also light from other system so i hope it will be enough light.
I will replace next round those 400's with 600'.

I am getting my part list and fothos in order so i can open a thread to show what i did but with two little kids and regular job i just can't find the time.

I am from Europe from very small country so i wasn't able to buy almost nothing in my local shop so all parts was bought by ebay, online shops etc.

Also parts are made different for EU market so i had to find parts equivalent to yours specifications.
I got Alita pumps from Hungary, a lot of parts was bought from Spain. Nutrients and lights was ordered from germay since my local store only holds 400w:laughing:
But i found out that shipping cost within EU are realy low.
For 70 kgs from Spain that is almast 1000 km away i paid 20 usd.
Not to mention that only 10 l GH flora micro was cheaper for 10 usd than local.

So any EUROPEAN user who need eu source for parts in snypes tutorial can contact me.

Nice! I wouldn't advise starting this grow in RDWC or even VEG-A. Each individual seed is going to have different requirements. It is much better to find your MOM first and MonoCrop everything. It's the smart thing to do but everyone wants to rush. I wish you luck though. I will help you where I can.

coldcanna

Veteran
Hey snype I've been taking notes and getting my routine changed over, my question is have you had any experience with using containers bigger than the 5 gallon buckets. I've used the 5's and just did a run with 21 gallons but that was just DWC. I'm keeping plant counts down so growing trees, would you recommend building your system with 21's?

Snype

Veteran
Hey snype I've been taking notes and getting my routine changed over, my question is have you had any experience with using containers bigger than the 5 gallon buckets. I've used the 5's and just did a run with 21 gallons but that was just DWC. I'm keeping plant counts down so growing trees, would you recommend building your system with 21's?

It's a good idea for plants that are going to take up more space but you would also need to use bigger pipe.

coldcanna

Veteran
Right on man, thanks for keeping up such a great thread it really helps us newer guy get a handle on things. Keep up the good work

Catatafish

Veteran
Snype im looking really f-in good this round....running the 1m/2b ratio and not a def in sight. Only running 6/12 right now with ~2ml of calmag just to get me thru stretch with the RO.... its probably not even needed though.

I loved the flood table too, roots looked much more like yours this time instead just a few long "runner" roots that i had in the dwc. Pretty low maintenance too.

i'll throw some pics once they get a little further along.

Thanks again for the great thread! Stay safe brother!

Snype

Veteran
Very nice guys! I'm glad that everything is working out. Pretty soon I'm going to make a Youtube channel and add some of these tutorials and more to come. I have a lot of ideas which I think people will enjoy the information. Happy growing!

Snype

Veteran
This may give some of you a better idea of some new data. I don't use the Kool Bloom anymore and have better more stable results. When I used 1000 watters and CO2, the plants max out at 1050 - 1100 PPM (NaCl / 500 scale). Once day 40 of flower comes, the plants can only handle 800 PPM of nutrients. It seems after peak fluorescence, the plants need less food. I'll add some other data as well but this may be helpful to some who like to figure things out.

Date: May 14, 2014
Stage: Day 37 Flower
Heights: 34"-41"
Top Off: 30 Gallons (Change Out)
pH pre:
Added (pH): 40 mL pH down
pH post: 6.0
PPM pre (500 scale):
Added (ppm): 140 mL Micro / 280 mL Bloom / 1 mL Clorox Bleach
PPM post (500 / NaCl): 1050
Water Temperature: 70 F
Air Temperature: 66 - 84 F
rH: 50's
CO2: 600 PPM
Pump Cycle: 24/7
Other Information:

Date: May 15, 2014
Stage: Day 38 Flower
Top Off: 0
pH pre: 5.9
Added (pH): n/a
pH post: 5.9
PPM pre (500 scale): 1050
Added (ppm): n/a
Other Information:

Date: May 16, 2014
Stage: Day 39 Flower
Top Off: 8 Gallons
pH pre:
pH post: 6.1
PPM pre (500 scale):
Added (ppm): 60 mL Micro / 120 mL Bloom
Other Information:

Date: May 17, 2014
Stage: Day 40 Flower
Top Off: 4 Gallons
pH pre: 6.0
pH post:
PPM pre (500 scale): 1100
PPM post (500 / NaCl):
Other Information:

Date: May 19, 2014
Stage: Day 42 Flower
Top Off: 8 Gallons
pH pre: 6.1
pH post: *6.3 **6.2
PPM pre (500 scale): 1100
Added (ppm): 40 mL Micro / 80 mL Bloom
PPM post (500 / NaCl): *800 **960
Air Temperature: 66 - 81 F
Other Information: I figured out later that the new sweet spot is 800 PPM for the nutes from day 40 and on. Plants ate less after day 40 of Flower. The lights were also tuned down to the 750 watt setting because they are eating less and can't handle the intensity of the light at 24" away from the canopy.

Date: May 20, 2014
Stage: Day 43 Flower
pH pre: 6.2
Added (pH): 10 mL pH down
PPM pre (500 scale): 990
PPM post (500 / NaCl): 890
Other Information:

Date: May 21, 2014
Stage: Day 44 Flower
Added (pH): 10 mL pH down
pH post: 6.2
PPM pre (500 scale): 950
PPM post (500 / NaCl): 850
Other Information: PPM is still too high. 800 is the sweet spot after day 40 of Flower.

Date: May 22, 2014
Stage: Day 45 Flower
Top Off: *4 **30 Gallons (Change Out)
Added (pH): **40mL pH down
pH post: *6.2 **6.0
PPM pre (500 scale): 890
Added (ppm): 100mL Micro / 200mL Bloom / 1mL Clorox Bleach
PPM post (500 / NaCl): *820 **810
Other Information: The new sweet spot change out.

Date: May 23, 2014
Stage: Day 46 Flower
Top Off: 0
pH post: n/a
PPM pre (500 scale): 820
PPM post (500 / NaCl): n/a
Other Information: The new sweet spot!

Date: May 24, 2014
Stage: Day 47 Flower
Top Off: 8
Added (pH): 20mL pH down
PPM pre (500 scale): 860
PPM post (500 / NaCl): 710
Other Information:

HankHanglow

Damn Snype, looks like you know what your doing there man. :tiphat:
Good show. Are these Chem DD from the original release back in 2008??

I have 20 seeds of the 1st verson of the chem dd. The ones I have are f2s of his first release in 07-08. I think he used his Sour Diesel ibl male before he lost it and used a chem dd male in this remix.

Cookiesno_oven

Hey snype I just found this thread, and I love it man. I started out with dwc and gh 3 part 5 years ago, so I have some experience with it. So when I saw your thread I got excited because everything you're doin is on point. bigtime Props to you. It actually got me in the mood to get my old rdwc system back out and put into use.

Snype

Veteran
Hey snype I just found this thread, and I love it man. I started out with dwc and gh 3 part 5 years ago, so I have some experience with it. So when I saw your thread I got excited because everything you're doin is on point. bigtime Props to you. It actually got me in the mood to get my old rdwc system back out and put into use.

Get that system out and set it up! :woohoo:

Snype

Veteran
I'll be starting part 2 of this Guide today. Please disregard any nutrient formulas that I used in this thread because I changed a few things. There's still good advise in this thread though but I'm going to try and go through more details in part 2.

B29

You are one heck of a generous guy, Snype. I'm an old man just returning to the good life. Started my first grow a couple of months ago using seed and a rockwool flood to waste for veg stage. Everything seems to be going fine and particularly now that I read through all you have been kind enough to share. Looking forward to more and when I have a MOM set up from this first grow I'm going to build one of your systems and give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Snype

Veteran
You are one heck of a generous guy, Snype. I'm an old man just returning to the good life. Started my first grow a couple of months ago using seed and a rockwool flood to waste for veg stage. Everything seems to be going fine and particularly now that I read through all you have been kind enough to share. Looking forward to more and when I have a MOM set up from this first grow I'm going to build one of your systems and give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad that I could be of service! Lol! Don't forget to check out part 2 where all the current techniques will be.

TineeBooda

this is a stupid question but, do you think the veg a system can grow moms? i read an article on bonsai moms and that dude kept his mom for like 3 to 15 years

Latest posts

Latest posts