What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Useful Lab Equipment for Growers

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I was doing some spring cleaning in my "sophisticated marihuana lab" and noticed I have a bunch of stuff that's readily available, cheap and really helps with weed chores.

If you use dry nutes (maxi series + dry pH up/down save a fortune), a scoop is very helpful.
7905S50.jpg

Glass stir rods are useful for small time stirring, like dissolving pH up/down. For large projects I just use a PVC pipe.
StirRods.jpg

Beakers are immensely useful! I use pyrex because I have them laying around but polypropylene beakers don't break and are inert (won't react with nutes.) Go with poly over glass since you won't be heating up your nutes.
Glass-Beakers-50-and-100ml.jpg

Any chemist knows that beakers aren't accurate for precise measurements (they're OK for growing though,) so if you want more accuracy, go with a graduated cylinder.
images

Funnels of course are damn useful for the clumsy stoner, especially because a lot of these nute containers "burp" when pouring out (like botanicare's calmag):
PFunnel.jpg

Test tubes may be useful because some have a little etched area you can write on with a pencil (and later erase.) Great for soaking seeds (though I don't recommend soaking seeds that aren't old) where you need to label things specifically.

Various containers. I have a lot of little containers of every shape and size. Little glass amber jars are perfect for seeds, pollen and bud. Air tight with some protection from light. I contact a dozen container companies and say I'm starting a candy business and would like some samples of various containers (works well with tin/plastic, not so much with glass) and usually get at least 6-10 little pieces free here and there.

Probably the most useful thing here would be a notebook. In marketing we say "always be testing" and in growing you should always be testing and tweaking for efficiency, yield, flavor, whatever. When selecting keepers, I use 1 page per plant (back and front) that I fill with notes here and there. "week 4, some resin, no significant aroma, short plant, responds well to topping, ..."

Do you NEED this stuff? of course not, but they're only a few bucks each, and you don't have to clean them thoroughly after each use, as you would with culinary ware.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Separatory funnel & a high quality scale. Volume is NOT how one should measure dry ingredients in cooking OR chemistry.

bendoslendo

31hKJ1hoivL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cheap polypropelene graduated cylinder sets can be had for less than $30 on the web. I love these guys. Only one has ever broke and it was because my bro literally stepped on it. Only the base broke and I actually still use it!

Gradations are raised so even if the ink rubs off you can still get an accurate measurement.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Separatory funnel & a high quality scale. Volume is NOT how one should measure dry ingredients in cooking OR chemistry.

Yep you need to weigh dry nutes on a scale. With maxigro/bloom I don't weigh anything. I put the nutes in until I reach the desired ppm. Nowadays I eyeball it.

F

firefox

would be nice to see a .for sale. and .wanted section. on ic mag .:)

would be nice to see a .for sale. and .wanted section. on ic mag .:)

What an idea!

I need a new lamp - here's my name and address..... :wave:

<Sarcasm over> I don't think buying and selling grow related equipment on a site promoting growing is a very good idea from a security viewpoint.
It could also put ICMag in a very awkward legal postion...

C

cheesey

i use lab grade vials (3ml) great for keeping my seeds safe when in the post . just hate it when you spend good money on seeds and when they come though your door they are smashed up ....

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Might I suggest your local scientific supply store? That is where we get our equipment legitimately and demand and receive a MMJ processors discount.

The folks are in business to make money and as long as you can present them with a legal avenue to do so without gut wrenching concern or dishonor, you at least have their ear.

Our approach was to make a list and hit the suppliers cold, to determine how their own personal deck was stacked.

The worst any of them were ever able to do, was disappoint me by saying no, and that I was a miscreante, a low life, and should be summarily killed through egregeously painful torture.

A minority, for whom I could wish the same, but alas, I am not the same low life arrogant sanctimonious self serving egotistical a-hole that decided to control how others live their lives. despite how they choose to live their own.

One disclaimer in that my first ex-wife thought at least she was infinately smarter and should have been in charge. My disagreement in divorcing her and her subsequent success is a matter of public record.

More importantly, most commercial vendors immediately perked up and did their best to convince me that they were my best resource. That is also what I did when in business!

We have legitimacy worked throught he MMJ programs, and no longer have to cringe and hide to obtain the meds that we require to be whole.

Use your card to embrace and use that brother! It is your privilege and right! If anyone gives you a hard time, may they have personally enjoyable sex with themselves and move on to more productive victims.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!1

F

firefox

What an idea!

<Sarcasm over> I don't think buying and selling grow related equipment on a site promoting growing is a very good idea from a security viewpoint.
point taken wasnt thinking straight earlier on :)

NotaProfessor

For dispensing liquid nutes when I mix up solutions I use plastic syringes. There are a variety of sizes, inexpensive, and quick/complete dispensing.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Pipettes! Esp if you're working from things that have dilution rates that read like lottery winning odds. They're cheap, require zero power to operate and have no failure points other than "oops".

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I use a 1 Tbsp syringe to dose my 5 gal DWC moms, I've gotten to where I can eyeball the amount within 1-2 mL so all I do is suck up nutes and blast em into the res.

good thread.... theres all kinds of science lab stuff I've used over the years

(I gotta get me one of those dry powder scoopy things, gonna do a maxibloom side by side with my GH and H&G)

bendoslendo

(I gotta get me one of those dry powder scoopy things, gonna do a maxibloom side by side with my GH and H&G)

I think the general consensus is to get a scale. You can get very accurate ones on dealextreme for less than $20, that weigh up to 20g with .001

What an idea!

not if they did it seedbay style, put up listings, IC gets a cut of the profit everyone is happy lol.

delerious

i use lab grade vials (3ml) great for keeping my seeds safe when in the post . just hate it when you spend good money on seeds and when they come though your door they are smashed up ....

I've been trying to find a source for something like this. I like the plastic vials Mr Nice uses.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I think the general consensus is to get a scale. You can get very accurate ones on dealextreme for less than $20, that weigh up to 20g with .001

sounds good.

I've got a .01 accuracy one right now and I think that'll work just fine for the moment yeah?

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Calibration weights. Electronic scales can fail in unusual and distressing ways. I stick with a mechanical triple beam for a reason. If you have to go with electronic get some reference weights to both calibrate it and check it for accuracy.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I check its calibration regularly, its worked like a charm for a while now. not too worried about it really.