What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Warning new off gassing product!!!!

bushwakka

conspiracy?
Call me paranoid but that comes straight to mind and i hate to think how many growers don't have access to this information,i mean how many assume (as you should be able to) that what hydro shops sell you is safe and tested?

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Can't help but think 'conspiracy' too...

Designing weapon systems for target populations is a well documented practice (at least in effort, if not application).

What other population really uses this hose to the extent that this population does?

Although cheap toxic shit from China doesn't need a conspiracy. It's another well documented practice.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THANK YOU SO MUCH

I run a RDWC system with NGW hoses, I have ran the system for over a year. I have never once had any signs of this off-gassing happening.

Although...

I setup my friend with a RDWC system with this hose. Every parameter was perfect the whole time, but we could not figure out why his plants looked like shit. It boggled my brain, and I had accepted he had some "nasties" in the system. (IE: not cleaned or maint. well)

He lost two crops in a row, his first two in this sytem. Prior to those grows he had successful harvest in single chamber DWC, and the two new grows he had much more equipment to be successful, it just didn't make sense.

Well today it did, the pictures and information displayed here are exactly what his problem was. He here now checking it out, lifting his spirits about his defeated grow.

So why is it my 100+ foot of it in my system (the black 1/2") is fine while his 1/2" black hose wasn't.....

I called my local shop and I am attaching this information to an email for them to check out. This hose is literally putting people under from what I have seen, and it can't happen to anyone else.

FUCK NGW there business in the grow industry is OVER!!!!!

Tell all your shops all your friends, make sure they remove this SHIT hose!!! Lets make an example of them!!!!

U.G.U

PuReKnOwLeDgE

The only thing I can think would make a differance is either air flow or a carbon filter. Before we found out what was offgassing we went out and bought can 150's and 12" max fans for all the rooms the problem went away. Or if you had a lot of air exchanges 1-2 every min you might be fine as well. All my grows are closed rooms no air in or out so the problem really hit us hard.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have really good airflow, my friends was low....Makes sense.

This whole time I was thinking the off-gassing was occuring in the water, just since we are talking waterlines. But now I understand. Thanks

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok I went and checked my hose, I am using hydrofarm hose with great success. My friend did infact have NGW feedhose and it did kill his only to crops in RDWC. It looks identical to all the pictures shown here.

edit: This must be stickied before anyone else loses their crop.

ogatec2

SO THE HYDROFARM HOSE IS OK & THE NGW IS BAD? IM GETTING INTO THE EBB-GROW TYPE SYSTEMS AND IVE SEEN SOME PLANTS THAT LOOK SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE SOME OF THE PLANTS PICTURED... MAKES ME SCARED. i am usig cap & hydrofarm hose but its the exact same stuff i dont see how it could be any different..

sorry for the caps.

U.G.U

ogatec2
Its different because of the phthalate that is used to manufacture the tube. There are at least 25 different phthalates and at least 4 of those are toxic to plants. Hydrofarm used a non toxic phthalate.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was very excited today to see hydrofarm hose in my room. I do however, have hard plastic pieces made by NGW. For example, my shutoff valves. I assume they have a much different manufacturing process but I will not take my chances, I will be replacing any and all NGW pieces. You would not believe the negative effect the two lost grows had on my friend, this company does need to go down for it's unethical manufacturing process.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Can't help but think 'conspiracy' too...

Designing weapon systems for target populations is a well documented practice (at least in effort, if not application).

What other population really uses this hose to the extent that this population does?

Although cheep toxic shit from China doesn't need a conspiracy. It's another well documented practice.

I usually buy into a lot of conspiracy talk but I think this issue can just be chalked up to distributors buying the cheapest product possible (from China...known for producing toxic crap...it's the cheapest...you get what you pay for) to expand the profit margin as much as possible. It's a symptom of the 3rd world status that the US is slowly slipping into.

Thanks for your research and this thread UGU. Extremely valuable info for all. It's just a shame that I only randomly stumbled across it in my IC travels. I wonder how many growers are scratching their heads right now (if not pulling out hair!) wondering what the hell is wrong with their babies.

0'dweeds

Wow... Pretty sure I lost three whole crops, a car, best friend and almost everything else worth of value that I owned because of this issue...

A friend of mine built a DIY ebb n grow-type bucket system for me when I first started out. He had used the same exact system before with great results. For some reason I couldn't, for the life of me figure out why my plants kept instantly dying off (it was my first time ever growing so I had no clue of what was what). I'd blame it on heat, light intensity, root rot, phosphorus def., you name it. When I saw the pics from this thread I couldn't help but notice my plants looked exactly the same. Just so happens that all the tubing used had ngw.com stamped all over it. I think this is far from a coincidence....

S

snoopytime

Wow... Pretty sure I lost three whole crops, a car, best friend and almost everything else worth of value that I owned because of this issue...

A friend of mine built a DIY ebb n grow-type bucket system for me when I first started out. He had used the same exact system before with great results. For some reason I couldn't, for the life of me figure out why my plants kept instantly dying off (it was my first time ever growing so I had no clue of what was what). I'd blame it on heat, light intensity, root rot, phosphorus def., you name it. When I saw the pics from this thread I couldn't help but notice my plants looked exactly the same. Just so happens that all the tubing used had ngw.com stamped all over it. I think this is far from a coincidence....

Yes Bro your story is almost exactly mine. My pal set me up, same everything (we thought) as him. All year long he hauled in monster buds the size of kid footballs, while I was getting 2 foot skinny dried up sticks with yellow wispy dried out leaves on top. This pal of mine has around 10 years doing it and perfected his system along the way, so he kept asking me "ARE YOU SNEAKING AND PUTTING FOO-FOO SHIT IN THERE!?!?!?!" . . "HOW MANY TIMES A DAY YOU FUCK WITH THEM?!?!?!?"

I blamed it on exactly every same thing you did. (You left out cal-mag def lol.) When it first comes on it looks like magnesium deficiency, the in between veins become light green first. Then it spreads to the whole leaf and the edges start crackling yellow at the tip and progress all the way to the petiole. In fact, the second pic in Phosphorous deficiency here: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

had me believing that root rot dropped my PH and they couldnt get any so I was PH UPping the shit out of them.

Well now that it has been a solid 5 days with NO NGW.COM tube in my room, I can safely report that there is NO FURTHER YELLOWING! In that room I have plants toasted that have been in there 6 weeks, they have no leaves and the buds are the size of SERIOUSLY a piece of popcorn each. THen I have one thats been in there 2 weeks that was rocketing up and stretching then started pale greening by the time I changed the hose. THat one isnt getting any worse, its still all 'green' but its frozen - no new growth. Its seriously stuck in a time warp.

Then I got 2 plants that have been in there for around 8 days, so they got around 3-4 days of poisoning. they arent yellowing or fading, but the new growth is pale and it seems like they are at least semi frozen.

Then I got 1 that I put in an hour after the hose got changed. It has fresh new growth, however it is not rocketing because I put it in there from veg pre-maturely as a sacrifice test. Its roots were a little screwy since my veg station had only recently been light proofed. But still, I am 90% confident that my most serious problem has been rectified.

In my opinion, the boss of this site should spam this thread out to EVERY member. I reallllly cant see anyone from this community getting annoyed about getting an email that *MIGHT* save their closet career.

S

snoopytime

I usually buy into a lot of conspiracy talk but I think this issue can just be chalked up to distributors buying the cheapest product possible (from China...known for producing toxic crap...it's the cheapest...you get what you pay for) to expand the profit margin as much as possible. It's a symptom of the 3rd world status that the US is slowly slipping into.

Thanks for your research and this thread UGU. Extremely valuable info for all. It's just a shame that I only randomly stumbled across it in my IC travels. I wonder how many growers are scratching their heads right now (if not pulling out hair!) wondering what the hell is wrong with their babies.

Yes it is the cheapest, and guess what? DI-ISOBUTYL PHALATE is the CHEAPEST of the CHEAP! this is from wiki:

Diisobutyl phthalate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diisobutyl Phthalate (DIBP) is prepared by esterification process of isobutanol and phthalic anhydride. Its structural formula is C6H4(COOCH2CH(CH3)2)2. Refractive index is 1.488 - 1.492 (20 °C, D).
DIBP is odorless plasticizer and has excellent heat and light stability. It is the lowest cost plasticizer for cellulose nitrate. DIBP has lower density and freezing point than DBP (dibutyl phthalate, CAS No.: 84-74-2). It has similar properties as dibutyl phthalate and can be used as a substitute for it.
DIBP is used in nitro cellulose plastic, nail polish, explosive material, lacquer manufacturing and used with methyl methacrylate applications

S

snoopytime

And you know what else - I guarantee you that this summer while all of us were in our rooms sweating, stressing, changing shit, wasting more money on attempted solutions, the bigwigs at NGW were doing one of the following:

kicking it in the playboy suite at the palms
taking their yacht to catalina
chillin in marthas vineyard
touring europe
hamptons partying
roadracing lamborghini's and ferrari's
mediterranean island hopping

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Same Story for my friend, I set him identical to my successful system, and his plants were the worst crops I have ever seen. The two crops he spent 4-6 months loosing set him back, to not growing, no job, lost unemployment, and behind in bills. He was happy to learn of the cause yesturday, and so was I. I felt so bad I couldn't solve his problem. His life would be exactly oppisite right now if it wasn't for that hose. I estimate 20K lost

U.G.U

0'dweeds
I feel for you man know exactly how you feel I lost over 100K just in expenses. Not to mention I also started selling stuff off just to pay rent, lost several cars and all kinds of fun toys. Had to take out a huge loan with an outragous intrest rate just to stay afloat. Thanks for posting your pics the more the better.

To everyone else

PLEASE POST ALL THE PICS YOU HAVE OF YOUR BAD PLANTS!!!!

G

Guest 18340

I wonder what other company gets their hose from the same place NGW does?
Today I bought 20' of blue General hydroponic brand hose and I've been leering at it all night.
NGW has sold hose for awhile, no? How far back does this problem go? Or is it a new place they get their hose from? Shit man, stuff like this can ruin a person.

S

snoopytime

I cant say for sure, but when I brought a 6" snip with the NGW logo on it up to my trusty neighboorhood shop, the top dog there said GH has been using THEIR OWN clear blue for years in all their setups, and that GH blue must be safe. This is the same shop I got my hydrofarm from which has replaced my shitbag NGW hose for 5 whole days now.

UGU is there a known effect of diisobutyl phthalate on roots? Also, I am beginning to think it can (at least minorly) come through the nutes and gas out into the roots. My veg station is outside my main room and running off the same chilled water though, mostly from PVC pipe but a few veg leaves had the mild beginnings of discoloration even though very little hose was in that room and it is much much bigger than the flower room.