What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Hempy style.

D

Dalaihempy

Hi every one a few have asked me how i run coco so thort to start a post in here and give a simple step by step post on how i do it.

Okay basicly i fill the bucket up with perlite up untill the rez hole of the hempy bucket so the coco core can work as its ment to i did try mixing it in with perlite but found this way way better and i can run a lot more coco core to.

You can basicly use perlite you can use glay rocks and im sure you can use coco chips and even gravil for that matter the reson you need to fill the rez with any thing but coco core is to allow the top coco core to drain exsses away if you fill the bucket fully with coco core it the coco ore will remain water loged.

step 1 get your self a clean bucket with the rez hole and fill the bucket up till the rez hole with perlite or you can use glay rocks so on.

Attachments

• Cnv0014.jpg
    Cnv0014.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Cnv0015.jpg
    Cnv0015.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 207
D

Dalaihempy

Then fill the rest of the bucket will a good quolity coco core to the top and then flush it with tap water to remove any salt as coco is basicly found close to the coast.

Attachments

• Cnv0017.jpg
    Cnv0017.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Cnv0018.jpg
    Cnv0018.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 128
D

Dalaihempy

Then basicly place your seedling or freshly rooted clone into the bucket.

Attachments

• Cnv0024.jpg
    Cnv0024.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Cnv0021.jpg
    Cnv0021.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 128
D

Dalaihempy

Then you basicly mix your nutrents as directed you water and away you go feed as directed every watering and flush with water harvest and thats it in short so as you can see its very simple no rocket science about it or is it complicated.

Attachments

• Cnv0022.jpg
    Cnv0022.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Cnv0020.jpg
    Cnv0020.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 146
D

Dalaihempy

Thats it will add a few pics threw the grow and will answear any question if you have any but think its simple inuf to follow take cear.

hazy

Veteran
Hey hempy. I always have a few hempy buckets going. Got 3 or 4 right now. I use smaller buckets though, but I might try it in a 5 gallon bucket next time.
I've been using coco/perlite these days because that's what i got. Just chopped one the other day and was impressed by good root growth in the bottom even though i did not use perlite in the bottom. just coco/perlite all the way through.

I think I will run a big bucket next time for sure.

pong

so..... lets say i want to grow 5 foot plants with this.

is that advisable?

how much would i have to water?

D

Dalaihempy

hi all well i use the same nutrients basicly CANNA Classic Canna Vega and Canna Flores best i have found have used it for years only tryed it with coco not that long ago saw great resolts so thort to use it why change something if it works.

Hi hazy i first started to use coco core and mixet the perlite in odly i came up with this way becouse i wanted to limit my need to go to a hydro store in short and wanted to head more tawards an organic hydro parth i did play around with organic hydro but reality is it didnt come close to non organic hydro.

I wanted to use as much coco core in the bucket as i could did infact try running 100% but the coco wouldnt drain into the rez fully it stayed water loged so by simply filling the rez with something other than coco core it allowed it to work as it should and still managed to run say 90% coco core.

hi indicameds Canna Vega and Canna Flores is the nutrients i like best but im sure any good nurient will work well.

pong most of my plants stand as tall as me or taller and you water as needed with nutrient rich water as directed by the nurient bottle instructions i only back off on feeding well its time to flush before harvest with plain water or if im running pure sativas or heavy sativa lines that show they dont like full feeding as they flower and with them all i do is go to 1/2 strength feeding or infact plain water with some sativas in short you feed full strength every watering unless the plant shows you other wise.

beejium well i like to use fresh medium each grow but you can but as theres not that much perlite in the mix even if you remove it shake all the medium away from the root ball and perlite gets mixet in its not that big of a deal realy.

D

Dalaihempy

Heres a few pics 1 is a Mangohaze others are thia maui or as i call it mauiedaze all grown in this method will up date with a few pics soon with plants in erly vegg and threw the diffrent stages.

Attachments

• Cnv0080.jpg
    Cnv0080.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Cnv0132.jpg
    Cnv0132.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Cnv0094.jpg
    Cnv0094.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Cnv01881.jpg
    Cnv01881.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 254

rooted

hempy himself :wave:

you've got your work cut out for you keeping those sativas in check indoor :D

keep it green :smokeit:

Rolando Mota

Right on Hempy, thanks for sharing.

*imaginary gardener* why do you have to spam every coco thread with your bs??

Last edited:

pong

lol i was wonderin the same thing...

anyways i think the hempy style is great, one thing i would like to try though is a bunch of hempy style buckets all with holes at the bottom of the pot.

it would be cool to place these pots in long shallow tubs and fill the tubs a certain ammount with water. this could prolong time in between watering!!

btw the hempy method was what inspired me to grow pot. the simplicity! w00t!

Hempy is the man. I'm a lurker and rarely post here, but i gotta give it to hempy, he knows how its done. KISS all the way. I use a few hundred hempty style buckets with hydroton on the bottom and coco on top, they have been going solid for years now.

Simply good strains, good base nutes, and a good microbial tea, and its allll gravey :)

-rob

Ok, this is great. Maybe you guys can help me out. I have been trying to get Hempy / coco buckets to work for a few months.

First I tried all coco. PITA to find the correct water amount as all the water seemed to hang in the coco and not drain to the rez at the bottom of the bucket. Those are still going with about 3 weeks left to go. So, that didn't work. Wish I saw this thread b4 that started.

Now, I got a new batch going that is perlite in the bottom 2 inches of the bucket (per Hempy). Then flushed coco filled to the top. The plants always look tired and water-logged. You know, the leaves are droopy. Also, the top leaves are folding. Nothing is burnt, the tips are fine. The color is nice and green, not too green though. Temps are OK; 68F minimum, 80F maximum.

I'm using GH flora at the rate of 6/9 per Rez. pH is set to ~5.8. I have tried full strength per Hempy, but that burns things.

I'm really bummed because I was growing really nice plants using Hempys with Perlite/verm mix. Shit hit the wall when I put coco in the mix. Please help.

S_F

Last edited: