What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transplanted peat to perlite - dumb - they dry at different times

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I transplanted seedlings from peat pellets to 90% perlite + 10% vermiculite.

They seem to be doing OK but the peat holds moisture for much longer than the rest of the medium, so I'm not sure if I should let the peat dry out or constantly water the perlite?

Sounds like your doing hempy buckets.

You want to water around the peat (stem) to encourage roots to grow out. Hempy buckets may take a week or two before roots really get established and hit the bottom part.

Make sure nothing dries out on you and it should take off soon enough.

Rockwool cubes stay more moist than perlite also...Just got to let those roots get established.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Thing is they're in little plastic cups, and so watering around the peat is difficult. I doubt I can water around it without it getting soaked as well.

Thing is they're in little plastic cups, and so watering around the peat is difficult. I doubt I can water around it without it getting soaked as well.

So they arent in the big container yet?

Just give it time. Thing with hempys that suck is the time for the roots to hit the rez. Once they do you will know it.

Could always sit the cup into a little dish of water and let it drain into the bottom...Dont need to water from the top.

*mistress*

Veteran
pull the plants out of the perlite, get rid of the plastic cups, get rid of the peat substrate around roots (gently...) & re-plant w/out peat included... too many walls around the root-zone that will not change unless you change them... re-potting w/out cups & removing peat may be necessary. otherwise conditions will remain same...

enjoy your garden!

killa12345

ive transplated peat pellets into hempy buckets(both 100% perlite, and 80% Perlite/20% Vermiculite) for over 2 years now with no problems.....DONT remove all the peat......just water every other day....all will be fine.....good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts