What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super-Charge Yor Growing with Aeroponics !!

turbolaser4528

Veteran
f*ckin great thread man, nice clean setup very well put together. glad to see how passionate people are about growing man its inspirational. i'm like you where i wanna have the best setup possible, and i've said to myself "NASA uses aeroponics, if its good enough for them its good enough for me".

anyway, I allready have some of those yellow sprayers and am thinking about doing a dwc/aero hybrid to eliminate some of the danger associated with aero, whilst getting the benefits of a dwc type deal.

Loved the action shots of the water while the system is on, no one ever puts up pictures like that. If i didn't see your thread (i saw it in your sig an hour ago, exited out of the window by accident and have been searching for it because i knew it would be good) I would've never known how those sprayers shot the water out which is important when building a diy aero unit.

sorry for writing so much i just love this stuff. I read more on icmag than i do in college lol, but keep up the good work man your doing freakin great!:woohoo:

ps: yeah maybe give a 2 plant scrog a shot (veg'd for a couple weeks of course) and see what you get. I've seen a bunch of people do 1gm/watt with a 400w hps/scrog/dwc, should be even easier with aero depending on strain, plus idk about you but i like to keep plant numbers low just in case...

Slap

I'm surprised nobody has put a sticky on this yet, I'm sure a lot of people agree this is very much sticky material.

P

purpledomgoddes

ran aero 5 gal buckets in very 1st veggie garden.

simple 5 gal bucket, w/ smallest rio pump, w/ 1/2" hose to 4 cheap 1/8" air hose lines. air hose lines were just hole-punched into 1/2" line. fit snugly. cheap misters from any general store. bucket half filled. sprinkler heads zip-tied/siliconed to sides of bucket, ~1" bottom of net pot.

ran air stones, then no air stones. works w/ out airstones, too. did leave little air line holes in top of buckets so environmental air can go into/out of bucket. since ~half of the volume of the bucket is 'empty' (actually air), don't need to make bubbles. action from sprinkles, misting fine while roots suspended in 'air'/oxygen.

generic vita-grow nutes. changed rez (5gal bucket) weekly. just affixed water-level line on bottom horizontally, then curved up and zip-tied to outside of bucket. just undo from top, and pour contents into separate container. pour in h2o/npk, done.

w/ above system, found out that veggies really require minimal nutes. ~>1000 ppm., and that as long as ph was in range of 5.5-6.5, everything worked out well.

~10 yrs ago.

once was done w/ store bought model, found that 32 oz plastic soda cups work for net pots. dollar store knee pads work for neoprene inserts. don't need krusty-style water+air pump - roots don't care. can end-cap old water hose to surplus pump, prick holes in hose, and forget about it.

soil seemed harder to guage (watering, npk, wet/dry cycle, etc). ran both @ same time. aero is efficient+gardener friendly if only for the decreased amount of medium required.

after studying the art, root-zone temps seems to affect veggies. can be dialed in to the nth degree, but 10 yrs ago, monitored hardly anything - certainly no res chiller, filters, etc. still made it full term w/ results nutritious enough to eat!

suppose am attempting to convey - like the thread starter, pirate, that 'aero' is doable w/ same effort/attention to detail required by any other system. try it w/ simple bucket, tiny pump, old water hose pin-pricked. roots don't care if gardener spent wheel barrel of coins - they just want h20+npk - from wherever it arrives.

hope this helps. enjoy your garden!

BigGreen

Veteran
Anybody know how come I cant see the pictures. Everything sounds great I just cant see anything.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
aeroponics is the way to go hands down, so much faster then soil!! i had some 4x4 trays with 16 5in net pots per tray botanicare... 1lb per table no problem

SkunkyDemon

Exelent tutorial ! This one needs a sticky! I realy like how you show the evolution of your tables. Please throw up some more pics of the ladies.
Peace

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Hey Everybody out there in La La land !! Thanks for the comments. I like to answer all posts but I've been gone for a while and there are to many to answer for lack of time.

Just a BIG THANKS to all for the Props !! Appreciated for sure !!

Exelent tutorial ! This one needs a sticky! I realy like how you show the evolution of your tables. Please throw up some more pics of the ladies.
Peace
Check out my "Cave" link in SIG.... VVV

divenosa

Very inspirational pirate! Time permitting, I think there are a few of us out there who would like to see photos of the Vortex sprayer system.

Do you use more than one Vortex in your 3x3 system as in the 2-3 found in the AquaMist commercial units?

Could a higher GPH (ex:1,000gph-4,000gph)pump be used in a larger rez and split 3,4,5 ways? It seems this would be the way to go if running multiple trays like yours. Thanks for the better than commercial grade tutorial.

Pirate

Veteran
Very inspirational pirate! Time permitting, I think there are a few of us out there who would like to see photos of the Vortex sprayer system.

Do you use more than one Vortex in your 3x3 system as in the 2-3 found in the AquaMist commercial units?

Could a higher GPH (ex:1,000gph-4,000gph)pump be used in a larger rez and split 3,4,5 ways? It seems this would be the way to go if running multiple trays like yours. Thanks for the better than commercial grade tutorial.
Thanks !!
I use 1 vortex in a 3x2 and the coverage is awesome. I will detail a 2 x 3 vortex type system. Just give me a little time. I'm working on a Cloning thread right now.

I don't know if your talking about the Aquamist or something else because the AQUAMIST uses micro sprinklers........not a vortex sprayer. I have searched High an low for the same sprinklers but can't find em anywhere. They are made in Australia but there is no brand name on em. Their really nice sprinklers.

Once I finish building a couple more 3 x 3 tables (I built another one this weekend) with micro sprinklers I am gonna run a single 1250 GHP pump for 3 units. After a little testing I discovered I can install 8 micro sprinklers per 3 x 3 (instead of 16) eliminate the other 8 Easy Clone sprayers/misters, and get the same of not better coverage. By removing the 8 misters........I get more pressure to the remaining 8 which in turn gives a better spray coverage. SO.......Now I can up-size the Pump to 1250 GPH and run 3 units with a total of 24 sprinklers. That equates to 416 GPH per table. I tested a table with 8 sprinklers and a 250 GPH pump. It was more than adequate.

I will be running 3 tables per 65 gallon rez and one 1250 GPH pump.

So the easy answer is ........Yes !!

Here is another idea for you guys:

If you use every plant site available on the 3 x 3......One of them will be directly over the DRAIN.........:noway:........Not good. Potential clog when roots grow into it.

My solution is a small piece of Plexiglass. You could use anything really but I chose plexi so I can lift the top and still see the drain to make sure its........Draining !! NOTE you can see where I marked for the sprayers..........but decided not to install them and ended up with better coverage overall. I also moved the FEED line to the center verses coming into the side like in the original photos. .............Still evolving !!

picture.php

One more Ideer for ya !!

My center support. Its made out of 1/2 inch OUTSIDE diameter pvc and misc. fittings. Its not glued down and works perfectly.

picture.php

Later Scallywags !!!!..............:bolt:

Macster2

Hi Pirate I use an almost identical system as a cloner with excellent results.
And your system has inspired me to build the last model you showed however I wish to build a 4x4 unit as this size will best utilize my 1000 watt bulbs.
I have always found it difficult to find reasonably priced tubs/res where do you go and how much do you pay??
Also I currently use a nft table for lack of a better term and get good results and I notice you used to grow flood and drain style.Have you noticed better results with this low pressure aeroponic style?

Pirate

Veteran
Hi Pirate I use an almost identical system as a cloner with excellent results.
And your system has inspired me to build the last model you showed however I wish to build a 4x4 unit as this size will best utilize my 1000 watt bulbs.
I have always found it difficult to find reasonably priced tubs/res where do you go and how much do you pay??
Also I currently use a nft table for lack of a better term and get good results and I notice you used to grow flood and drain style.Have you noticed better results with this low pressure aeroponic style?
After your PM I came over here to check it out. I didn't get a notice that there was a post here for some reason. Anyway........Here is my answer:

Well as you can see, I've been through a bunch if different types of trays and/or tubs for the aeroponic units i've built. Far more than I posted here in fact. If you want to do a 4 x 4 then most likely you need to purchase a 4 x 4 flood tray. They are pricey at 100 to $125 or so with the rest of the parts coming to another 150 to $200 but when your all said and done..............You've got a unit worth $750.00 or more if you went out and bought a "pre-made" one. I have to admit that I have not spent time searching out 4 x 4s since I only ever wanted to build the 3 x 3s for lack of space. If you do buy a flood tray.........I would suggest a "Botanicare". They are easily the best quality and the cost is around the same. The GH trays are flimsy and cheesy.

The flood trays are 7 inches deep which is plenty of space for roots.

As far as Flood & Drain verses Aeroponics?
Aero is hands down the better route for yield and speed of growth. At least that's what I've discovered. In fact, I have a flood a drain going right now..........right next to an Aero and the Aero is easily the superior producer. It will finish a week sooner and without doing actual #s.........I guess the yield to be 20 to 25% higher overall.

Another benefit to the Aero:
When your all done and harvested........The clean up is fast an easy. There are no rocks to soak and strain and clean (god I hate those rocks) No pots to wash. No root balls stuffed with your growing medium that needs to be picked out.
You just chop the plant at the base
Pull the net cup
Cut the roots with scissors
Pull the Rapid Rooter with roots out, Throw that into a bucket
Dump the bucket into the garden or mulch pile (everything is biodegradable)
Throw the Cups and Neoprene caps into the washer machine with a cup of bleach.
Run the neoprene in the dryer on high for 1 hour (this brings them back to their original size and shape (they get stretched during the plants growth)
Start a new grow.
Easy and Fast

You can be back up and running the Aero unit with your next batch within 2 hours from the time you cut the last batch out. Try that with 50 post full of rocks.

I've tried everything and:

AERO is easily the best. (IMO)

O

olddrifter66

Dam pirate...this is getting me excited....I may have to try it, but may be a while...so dam clean this system is....nice work.

Macster2

I run a nft style with 1 gallon pots with a crap load of hydroton. And I got to say I've been reasonable happy getting up to 1.5 pds per 1000 watt bulb with 3 days of veg just to establish well rooted clones in the new med and switching to 12/12.
But if I have 2-3 tables (4x4) with a perpetual garden (3-4 weeks in veg) then lollipoping them getting 12-18 grams/ plant I should be able to increase yield about 50%.However finding a 4x4 table is proving difficult.
But it sounds so much easier on the clean up.Hydroton sucks when it comes to clean up and cocao must be a close second.

Pirate

Veteran
How does aero compare to dwc bio- buckets for growth speed?
I've used and still use DWC with great results. I wouldn't bash it for sure. However, I don't think there is any debate that Aeroponics is the fastest for growth speed. That's one reason why most will say it's for "advanced" growers. Because everything speeds up. But I started it as a newbie and it really isn't hard as long as your willing to stay on top of it. (if folks would rather go out on vacations..........Go with dirt)

Consider that there is no other method that will allow the amount of oxygen to the root zone like aero will. Most likely the #1 reason that its the speediest method.

Been wrong before and I'll be wrong again............So,someone please correct me if (you think) I'm wrong.

MDT

Wow Pirate, your walk-through is truly inspiring, I just want to thank you for taking the time to walk us through your setup and with such details.
How do you think Aeroponics would do in a grow room that reaches 90F in the summer?