What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Illinois Lawmakers Proposes Legislation to Legalize Marijuana

HerbalBliss

An Illinois lawmaker has filed legislation to legalize marijuana use, manufacture and distribution in the state, treating the substance like alcohol.

State Rep. Kelly Cassidy, D-Chicago, filed an amendment to House Bill 2353 on March 22 that revises the state’s Cannabis Control Act, making a number of sweeping changes “n the interest of allowing law enforcement to focus on violent and property crimes, generating revenue for education and other purposes, and individual freedom.” These changes include:

Marijuana legal for anyone age 21 or older. The substance would be regulated the same as alcohol – buyers must show identification when purchasing, and selling to anyone under age 21 would be illegal. Public smoking would remain illegal, and punishable by a fine of up to $100.
Manufacturing and distributing marijuana legal for anyone age 21 or older. But “cultivation” of marijuana plants may not proceed in public view. Growers must also ensure anyone younger than 21 does not have access to the plants, and growers may only grow the plants on property they own legally – or with the consent of the property owner. Anyone who violates these stipulations would face a fine of up to $750. Anyone wishing to grow, process, cultivate, harvest, possess, sell or purchase industrial hemp or industrial hemp-related products would be required to get a state license to do so.
A possession limit of 28 grams for state residents. Nonresidents may possess only 14 grams of marijuana.
Smoking marijuana while driving still illegal. This legislation would not legalize driving under the influence. Moreover, anyone caught driving while smoking marijuana may be fined up to $200 or have his or her driver’s license suspended for up to six months, or both, for the first violation. People caught for subsequent violations could face a fine of up to $500 and a driver’s license suspension of up to a year.
Legalizes the sale, use of marijuana “accessories.” Anyone 21 or older may sell or use marijuana accessories, such as a bong or vaporizer.
180 days to create rules for implementation. If the amendment passes, the Department of Agriculture would have 180 days to create regulations for cannabis establishments. The list of required regulations includes:
Procedures for the issuance, renewal, suspension and revocation of a registration to operate a cannabis establishment
A schedule of application and renewal fees not to exceed $5,000, with this upper limit adjusted annually for inflation
Security requirements including lighting, physical security, video and alarm requirements
Employment and training requirements

The amendment language also includes wording to allow local governments to regulate marijuana as well, with the added option to create a local regulating authority.
Taxing rates for different types of cannabis. These rates would be adjusted annually for inflation.
$50 per 28 grams on all cannabis flowers
$15 per 25 grams on all parts of cannabis other than cannabis flowers and immature cannabis plants
$25 per immature cannabis plant
Rules on how cannabis tax revenue would be distributed. Revenue would be distributed every three months as follows:
30 percent to the State Board of Education
10 percent to the Department of Public Health for use in evidence-based, voluntary programs for the prevention or treatment of alcohol, tobacco and cannabis abuse
10 percent to the Department of Public Health for a scientifically and medically accurate public education campaign educating youth and adults about the health and safety risks of alcohol, tobacco and cannabis
50 percent to the general revenue fund

Employers free to deal with marijuana in the workplace as they see fit. Cassidy’s amendment makes clear that her legislation is not “intended to require an employer to permit or accommodate the use, consumption, possession, transfer, display, transportation, sale, or growing of cannabis in the employer’s workplace or to affect the ability of employers to have policies restricting the use of cannabis by employees or discipline employees who are under the influence of cannabis in the employer’s workplace.”
Link to Article Here.

IL Gov Website

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Shepher

I want this so bad. I am ready to start an edible products line at a moments notice. I hope it is set up like Colorado's system. They better not hand out licenses as randomly as they did with the medical program.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Good luck to you folks,Make dam sure the don't cut out an individuals right to grow.
Sound good so far but they like to sneak things in and out without the voters knowing.

peace
shag

OldPhart

It's a good start, in as much that it will get people talking about it. I wish more people would talk about it, there is a lot of stigma still around.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah it's good to talk,but I know how bs this state is.I was really hoping they were gonna buy land and build a grow facility in Lee Co.and maybe I could get a job but they were treating it like they were building a super duper ultra max prison and only state workers or something could work there.it was bogus but they never even built anything.trust me when I say our state has a long way to go.who the hell hell is even supplieng the few dispenseris in the state anyway?

bum

Legalization Town Hall
April 19 7-9pm
Broadway Armory Park
5917 N. Broadway, Chicago, 60660

Easy7

Veteran
I have family in chicago and I might move there in the future. After parents kick off.

Any talk on plant limits or other home grow limits?

Illinois has money problems. Legalizing could solve a lot of that. Then again fuckers like Pence are in that state. I do believe it's a matter of time. Bible bangers cannot rule forever.

shithawk420

Veteran
I admit I havent looked at what they wanna do but I'm not getting my hopes up.as far as I know prices are still 300 400 a zip.my aunt has a card but I don't know anyone else.if anyone know's anything I'd love to hear the details.if it's illegal to grow for everyone,then where is the dispensers getting there weed?something just doesn't make sense.
I would NOT come here for medical weed.

master kusher

Seems they're considering cashing in like some of the other states have. Most of the time it just boils down to the numbers, if it's more productive (financially) to legalize or keep it illegal.

G7T

Illinois medical

Illinois medical

Big companies do all the grows indoor except one greenhouse.

goadhap

Cook County weed legalization

Cook County weed legalization

On the ballot today. I'm sure it will pass, but it will mean little. At least it's another step in the right direction.

Thinking seriously about leaving Illinois. So many right-thinking States; why stay?

AbbieDoobie

I'm an Illinois MMJ card holder with PTSD. It is illegal to grow here and I highly doubt they will allow it under a rec law. My 3-year card cost me over $300, plus two required doc visits and other expenses involved. Premium bud ounces are $320 and shake ounces for $200 at the same thc level. I have a GSC shake at 25% thc and it's fire. I used to buy the premium bud, but it just got too expensive. We get to buy 2.5 ounces every 2 weeks which is a terrific quantity to be allowed. In 2020 when my card expires, I'm not too sure I'm going to renew it even if rec doesn't happen by then. I could do some kind of Q&A if anyone is interested. I've been in the program since Jan 2017.

XXX_710

IL ballot questions are just polls...

IL ballot questions are just polls...

On the ballot today. I'm sure it will pass, but it will mean little. At least it's another step in the right direction.

Thinking seriously about leaving Illinois. So many right-thinking States; why stay?

Unfortunately in IL, ballot questions do not carry the weight of law. So, they are nothing more than polls. Those states still without MMJ programs lack the ballot referendum process that the "legal" states have. It takes political guts to vote reefer.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is quite a bit of progress with expansion of medical as well as another draft of adult use bill expected soon (already late?)

The Opioid bill looks like it's proceeding with support which should help, as well as possibly taking the approach of Murphy in New Jersey with, assuming Pritzker victorious in November, may be an executive order expansion of medical while preparing for the adult use.

There has been numerous changes in the original drafts (adult use) and while one has to wait and see final, it is seeming sponsors have not bowed down to stakeholders desire to limit future licensing, so this is a bright side as well. (Open licensing in future).

shithawk420

Veteran
HOLY FUCK!JULIAN the legend himself!respect!havent seen you for years but you gave me so much information.YOU ARE THE MAN!!