What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad to narrow leaf

teide

Veteran
What actually happens when sativas start out with broad leaves as young plants and end up with narrow? Do the initial broad leaves stay broad, while the later leaves grow narrow, leaving the plant with different looking leaves at top and bottom, or do the broad leaves keep their width while growing longer, thus becoming narrow with age and increased size?

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

I've noticed the same thing on just about all different plants, the earlier foliage has wider leaf blades than later on, but it seems more pronounced of narrow bladed types.
You can kinda see it here, this is two Honduran-Jamaicans sharing one container, theres a older fan leaf at lower right on the taller plant with broader blades than the the fan leaf front center near the top of the plant, this is last August 3rd, right at the start of flowering
honjam.jpg

Heres the same plant 3 weeks later with much narrower fan leaves
HonJam2.jpg

teide

Veteran
Thanks for your reply, chuck. It is easy to see the difference in your photos, yes.
So I guess the earlier fan leaves stay broader, and as new fan leaves emerge, they grow slimmer than the older ones?
The top of the plant in the last photo has slimmer leaves than the top of the plant in the first photo. I wonder what the broad leaves lower down looked like three weeks later, had they slimmed down as well?

wild cat

Jeśli roślina ma prawidłowy wzrost, to nie jest zaskoczeniem, że ma szersze liście, później cieńsze, prawdopodobnie z tego powodu, aby nie zasłaniać kwiatów. To inteligentna roślina.

Latest posts

Latest posts