What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

so....fuck it...

Im'One

We had a call today from the dealer who sold us our jetta. Yea the one that we dumped 1000 dollars into in November and were told in December we needed to drop another 2500 into just to.keep it running...they want.me to.bring it in for a trade. The.logic.goes why not make.payments on a car thats running rather than one that isnt?

Hmmm. Does that make sense to anyone?
I guess im getting philosophical since im turned 60 and want to start preparing to retire?

Let.me explain. The wife and i gave up everything to.make a move a few years ago we wanted to start.over and we did it in Oklahoma .
We were nearly homeless a number of times, went through aome realky tough times...lived on.microwave food and water. When we got a chance to buy something nice we looked.long abd hard before buying a diesel jetta. When the fix.for the ignition came we felt.lucky to.get the check in the mail. Not.much longer we sold our home in.mo at a.loss and bought a nice yet modest place out here. We then bought a very expensive washer and dryer set
Three years.later.it.had cost.us several hundreds if.dollars in repairs. we eventually bought a much cheaper washer from a used appliance store.
These purchases have taken a real.bite from our finances and made.me very wary of buying anything nice
Right now.we.are.drivng.my grandaughter jeep.and my.old 2004 dodge ram.
Is anything made to.last anymore ?
Im not buying

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Not much consolation but my uncle's Jetta TDI has 600,000 on it.needs a drive chain.maybe new Jetta suck but I loved that 01 Jetta.and no.everything is planned obsolescence

WelderDan

Veteran
I feel for ya bro. Very few things are made to last anymore. We've become a disposable society. Buy shit, use it until it breaks and then throw it away and buy a new one. Like a fucking Bic lighter. You can't even buy good tools (I'm looking at you, Harbour Freight) unless you spend big bucks on Snap On or the like. Even Craftsman, who used to make good shit is junk. I go to the Flea market and buy used tools for a few bucks instead of buying the garbage available now,

Keep the Ram. I'm driving an '06 Charger. It's got 100,000 k miles on it, but it's paid for and I've only put 2 batteries, an alternator and a thermostat in it. And a few sets of tires, haha. I'm driving that bitch until the wheels fall off.

As for the Jetta, well if your still making payments on it, it does make sense to trade it for something that runs. Better to pay for something you can drive than pay for something you can't. If the dealer is willing to work with you, I don't see how you have much choice. No sense making payments on something you can't drive.

I was in a similar situation once. The truck I bought was a hunk of shit, but the dealer worked with me and put me in something else. It turned out to be one of my favorite cars ('86 Buick Regal). Yeah I ended up paying way more in the end, but you gotta have wheels.

I've never been a lucky man, and I've always had to scratch and scrabble and make do with what I have. I've learned to do a lot of shit myself because I can't pay someone else. I accepted that a long time ago.

The best advice I have is to keep plugging away. Giving up isn't an option. Shit eventually gets better. Never as fast as you wish it would, but eventually it does.

There was a member here who was going through some serious shit. Really bad health condition, wife ran off with another guy and turned his kids against him. He was talking about eating the barrel of his gun. I talked him off the ledge so to speak. He PM'd me a while back. Made the move to Colorado, turned his life around, was growing some bomb ass weed and was happier than he had been in ages. Told me I saved his life. He was that down and desperate. And I never met the guy, just communicated via PM.

So whenever your feeling like the world has it in for you, know that somewhere, there is someone that would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

Im'One

Thanks ...yes im driving the ram...it will get shocks and a new exhaust.soon. Its gonna hit the quarter mill in the odometer i do.wht mechanical work i can but thats not.much...change oil, replace.headlights etc.. if the ram died i.would get another pre-2008 with low.miles .
I am actually not all that bummed but resolute not to buy any new stuff from here on out. I would rather hire local craftsmen to repair and maintain what i.have. we have one year to go( paying)on the jetta so im not really excited about getting into another payment.
I guess what bothers.me is i dont have faith in my own research decisions etc...like the song
"I cant have nothing nice"
Fuckin asshole world.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Last time I drove a vehicle was in 2013 - and have been very happy taking the bus ever since - being a car/truck owner most of my life - I now realize the freedom of doing without my own personal mechanized transport - waaaay less stress -

Im'One

I live in the country in Oklahoma . I need a vehicle but it dont have to impress anyone. I am ready to start to simplify my life...sick and tired of payments ...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Last time I drove a vehicle was in 2013 - and have been very happy taking the bus ever since - being a car/truck owner most of my life - I now realize the freedom of doing without my own personal mechanized transport - waaaay less stress -

Great minds think alike. 3 years ago, I owned 4 cars and 2 motorcycles. I sold all the cars and I do still have the 2 bikes but they are for sale. It's 10F here and snow so motorcycles aren't much good, anyway.

I may buy a scooter or something when I relocate to Southern Cal but for now, like you said, it awesome not owning a car. I don't miss it one bit. In fact, I am eliminating ALL my material possessions and it is very enlightening.

Key in life.... own nothing but your heart.

Dallas Conner

As long as we're not talking about body work, it's never cheaper to replace a car than to repair it. Especially true when the seller is the guy who sold you the car you are having to dump money into. Insurance should be higher on a car you're making payments on.

Making the question a little more complicated, a German car probably isn't the best route to least expensive transportation. Base model Japanese cars are much easier to work on and use less expensive parts.

If you are at all handy, Pelican Parts sells OEM and aftermarket parts for VWs and has outstanding step by step tutorials on how to install them. You can even look up a problem, look at the tutorial and get a list of all the parts you'll need. That's the best way to contain costs on any out of warranty vehicles, do it yourself. I spent a good part of my career dealing with auto mechanics on a daily basis. It's remarkable how few of them have good diagnostic skills, even when they have great installation skills.

Even if you aren't handy, it's worth understanding your vehicle. I don't know about VW, but many OEM shop manuals are now available online for free or at a very low cost. Even if you can't use them to diagnose the problem yourself, you can use them to reassure yourself that what the mechanic is recommending makes sense and that the cost is reasonable. I've always bought shop manuals for cars I own. Physical versions used to cost hundreds. Great to get access on the cheap. My father taught me this trick and he was a mechanic.

RedR

Hey,

So sorry you are having to deal with those hardships, life does seem to kick us when we are down at times. Heard this not too long ago and we really like it, "You've survived 100% of your worst days". I've been in your shoes more times that I want to remember. I will say best part of being in that 'Im done' state, it has no where to go but up and it will.

If interested here (in long form) are some things I've learned and stick to throughout this ol farts life that has always paid off. You may already be doing some if not all, just wanted to share either way...

No one takes better care of you than your wife and you, period. Sounds like yall have done awesome in that so far. Just remember at 60, you got 7-12 yrs left of having to work to get the best bang for yer buck w/ SSI. That is the drive here out. Please do not find yourself at 80 having to work. At that point we all should be able to retire fully and enjoy throwing rocks at the kids, yelling 'get off my yard!' or whatever within reason we wanna do.

As far as the car, band-aid it best ya can so it can take a good price and get rid of it. VW has been acting like BMW's spoiled brother for awhile now. They are a money pit, and junk period. I say band-aid it assuming you'd sell to a private buyer, else let the dealer fix it on their dime after the trade.

Far as it goes with the dealer, they are there to make money in ill ways. They faster the deal you make with them, the more profit they make on you. When getting a new car I'll spend 10-30hrs (crazy huh) working a deal between a group that gets worked down by the two dealers. Once one of em drops off, then its camping time at the other till they are so sick of you and the time they've wasted they break and you get a good deal. Personally I Love breaking dealers and making them cry. Once I even had one dealer call after I drove off the lot asking for 300 more because they sold the new car below cost. And the trade-in I did for the same deal I got $600 more than I paid for it new 10 months earlier.

Beware of trade-in's with dealers. Never tell them it is going to be part of the deal, only at best you might consider it. Even if they press you at the end, only reveal your hand when it is best for you. Once you strike the real deal on the new car, then see what you can get for the trade-in, and again, work that deal. I once had a car that many of the problems were tied to the maker and not the specific car itself. I used that as my stance.. "you are reducing the value because YOU guys made a bad car?! Oh no, you are not sticking that on me. You can do better."

Also stop using the dealer for non-warranty repairs. Find a mom'n pop that are God, and family focused that's been around 20+ yrs. PLENTY in Oklahoma, especially in the country/sticks. Ask around, the local folk will honestly tell you who is worthy of your business. In short, the dealers part and labor prices and there to make big money.

(in long...) And if you enjoy working on your car, step up your game and bit, just like this 'hobby' research how-to's and why's when it comes to problems, diving deeper into maintenance problems you can fix easily, just dunno how at the moment. I was exactly like you far as my mechanic ability in my 30s and 40s. I got sick of bad mechanics, and crazy labor and part prices. I Love my mechanic, he knows I like to try and dive deep (tho never brought him something I couldn't fix) and will access my problem, give me a part list and I'll get them myself. I am a crazy big Rockauto fan, for a vast majority of all their parts are 50-75% cheaper than the local autoparts houses.

Far as a loan, if that is something ok with yall, go through your bank, not the dealer. FAR better interest rates, and they'll work with you far more than the dealers 'fiance company'. And NEVER buy a used car from a dealer. Go private seller, and find a friend who know's what they are talking about with cars so they can help you finding a make and model that is reliable. Even w/o a friend, at the VERY least take it to your mechanic and have them do a complete eval of the car (usually 1-2hr labor cost worst case). Point of interest, gulf states has had it's share of mass flood damaged car's flood the market often in ways it is impossible to tell it was totaled. Easy to check just for just by knowing where to look.

Sorry for the book, as you can tell this is a hot topic for me LOL

Hope this helps,
RedR

Bobby Boucher

Don't buy things you can't fix yourself or aren't willing to learn how to fix yourself. Lease nothing. Skip the middle man. Grow more pot.

I am a pricey date. I require a pack of smokes, a bag of coffee, and anywhere from 3.5-7 grams of pot a day.

I buy 7 gallons of tobacco at a time in whole leaf to shred and stuff, I send my gf out to work at starbucks for all the free bags my heart desires, and I'm perpetually harvesting enough dope to stay otherwise afloat.

Oklahoma is one of the most affordable places to live in the country. Find a couple oz a week customers. Make some fancy edibles and concentrates. People love that shit.

Go to whiskey chicks and talk to liz. She's the cute one in the center of all the pinups posted around on the walls. Tell her Chicago Joe sent you. She knows everybody.

Bobby Boucher

I am also in the "fuck driving" clan.

I've willfully ignored renewing my license for like... 4 years now?

I only drive in emergencies. Buy yourself a VPN and start downloading and watching every good movie known to man. Going out is for people who don't have free pot and movies sitting at home.

Im'One

Yea im gonna sit in this a while and not make a decision for a minute. This diesel car is a new ballgame...my next car will be an older.low.mileages that i can work on myself ...i guese my decision making process is more based on how.easy is this...to fix...whether putting a new.towel bar in the bathroom to getting a truck

St. Phatty

Im not buying

Yes and no.

Could be worse. All the screws holding your house together, could start un-screwing.

Yeah I know that usually only happens in ghost movies. But it also happens in real life.

I have to remove all the screws from my wood deck and then bolt it down using something else. Because the screws un-screw about 1/2 rotation a year.

It would be faster to have it burn.

I don't suppose anybody has a ghost that screws the screws back in instead of un-screwing them ?

Bobby Boucher

Join an automotive forum!!

I pride myself in being able to fix anything, and I come from a long line of useless individuals..

My uselessness empowers me. The collective knowledge of the forums guides me through the mire of my stupidity.

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is, "I do not know"." - Data

WelderDan

Veteran
Thanks ...yes im driving the ram...it will get shocks and a new exhaust.soon. Its gonna hit the quarter mill in the odometer i do.wht mechanical work i can but thats not.much...change oil, replace.headlights etc.. if the ram died i.would get another pre-2008 with low.miles .
I am actually not all that bummed but resolute not to buy any new stuff from here on out. I would rather hire local craftsmen to repair and maintain what i.have. we have one year to go( paying)on the jetta so im not really excited about getting into another payment.
I guess what bothers.me is i dont have faith in my own research decisions etc...like the song
"I cant have nothing nice"
Fuckin asshole world.

Do what I do. Buy tools at the flea market. Get what used parts you can at the local U-Pull-It junkyard. I needed a tire once. Whent to the junkyard and bought an entire wheel with a good tire for $15. All I had to do was put it on the car. Beats buying used tires at a tire shop and paying for mounting and balancing.

Watch YOUTUBE how-to videos. If you need to know how to do something, somebody has done a YOUTUBE video on it. I replaced the CV joints on the wifes Camry after watching a video. Dude even listed every tool you needed.

Not knowing how to do something isn't an impediment. It's an opportunity to learn something new. Being stubborn has it's merits.

Im'One

Join an automotive forum!!

I pride myself in being able to fix anything, and I come from a long line of useless individuals..

My uselessness empowers me. The collective knowledge of the forums guides me through the mire of my stupidity.

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is, "I do not know"." - Data

I need to.do that. There are.plenty of.people dealing with the aftermarh of the diesel emissions fix n these cars.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
We had a call today from the dealer who sold us our jetta. Yea the one that we dumped 1000 dollars into in November and were told in December we needed to drop another 2500 into just to.keep it running...they want.me to.bring it in for a trade. The.logic.goes why not make.payments on a car thats running rather than one that isnt?

Hmmm. Does that make sense to anyone?
I guess im getting philosophical since im turned 60 and want to start preparing to retire?

Let.me explain.

Right now.we.are.drivng.my grandaughter jeep.and my.old 2004 dodge ram.

Im not buying

Everything is crap and too expensive. When I moved into the cheap new place here I bought a used washer/dryer and am still rocking them 10 years later. IMO cheap is the new rich.

I was lucky and found the last 4wd chebbby 1500 LD work truck with no nuthin, especially onstar, at a dealer. Last one made and they wanted to sell it. So I have a running driving (sorta) arrest-me red 2004 Dodge sport truck you can have if you can get it home. I would recommend a trailer. The bed is totally wore out but the rest looks OK. It's advertised locally on a small site for $1300 to get it gone.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Since the 60s VWs have been known as highly unreliable cars. A string of bad engineering for decades.

I like Toyotas, only used ones. Reliable, rarely need fixing, and who cares how it looks, I'm retired and not out to impress anyone... I only wish to survive.

At the ripe age of 66 I've also learned to not waste money on buying fancy 'nice' things... as I won't be around forever and no one wants to get stuff from dead people anymore, unless it's cold hard cash they can spend.

Im'One

Since the 60s VWs have been known as highly unreliable cars. A string of bad engineering for decades.

I like Toyotas, only used ones. Reliable, rarely need fixing, and who cares how it looks, I'm retired and not out to impress anyone... I only wish to survive.

At the ripe age of 66 I've also learned to not waste money on buying fancy 'nice' things... as I won't be around forever and no one wants to get stuff from dead people anymore, unless it's cold hard cash they can spend.

I.love your name...i had a brother.in law who onky drove toyitas he found at auctions. He would always pay less than 1000 and drive them. Didnt chnage oil, repair.or.maintained any more than enough to stay legal...when.that one died he bought another. He would get two to three years our.of them