What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding for the best stimulating effect

Carraxe

Veteran
I open this thread to keep with the work I started in that one:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=346206

Long story short: I am working hard to create a sativa hybrid that satisfies my capricious taste. Tasty, delicious, strong, but most of anything, energetic. Happy, as the happy effect of a pure sativa that once you know it exists, you always want. With no effect on the body like hybrids have. Mood enhancer, antidepressant, coffe-like, smokable happyness.

I found the necessity of a new thread because the target of the work I started in the old one, as the kind of work, varied a little. After these years of work, some strains were added, tested and discarded, and new ones were brought to the mix.

Today, the best sativa stimulating effect I know is still the one in Mextiza [*Edit. It has changed since]. I am having this cut as a base for work. I've crossed it with many very nice and extreme sativas to try to improve production, effect and also to increase variety.

I have already discarded many sativas for breeding, like Ghana, Angola Senegal, Senegal, Old Mextiza, and others, including commercial "sativa" strains like Jack Herer, Sour Diesel, etc. These were discarded after several harvests and after testing the descendants. Their effect wasn't as good as I wanted to.

At the moment I am growing some plants I made with the last Mextiza male I had and a very special Angola Thai cut I was gifted. Very extreme sativa, with very tiny flowers and trichomes, and very very thin leaves.

I like them a lot, so I'll probably do a selection between many specimens in a couple of months.
There they are:

At the same time, I'm growing some more strains with the objective of crossing them with my Mextiza and test the progenie. These are:
ACE Ethiopian. I believe they can boost the sativa experience once mixed with Mextiza.
ACE Bangi Haze x Ethiopian. This can also combine very well with my Mextiza.
I have some ACE Honduran seeds as well that I'll plant soon.

I'll keep you informed.
Cheers

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
Today I felt inspired, so I planted a lot of seeds.

-12 ACE Honduras. I'll select a female keeper, if they are good. I'll cross the males with Mextiza and with my Thai Angola cut to keep improving my sativa genepool.

-18 Mextiza x Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze. Just for the fun of smoking some nice weed, and to check if it is possible to get a Sour Mextiza specimen. Sour Honey Lemon, wow! I don't plan to take cuts and I'll discard the males as soon as I can.

-8 Mextiza x Ghana. Just a test grow to see how females are. I'd like to see how faster they mature, and I'd like to know if the bitter opium-like aromas in the Ghana strain are preserved. Anything could happen with this cross, Ghana is like a weed from Mars.

Cheers

Last edited:
A

AfricanMagic

Very good my brotha, plant those seeds. Grow some good ganja and also make more seeds for planting next year. People tell me the seeds you have are real ganja.

Bless you my friend. And don't forget to spread the love around.

Carraxe

Veteran
I'm impressed with the amount of resin and the quick maturation of these Thai Angola Mextiza plants. They've been just 6 weeks flowering and I believe in a week I can start harvesting them.

I see quite a lot of variation due to Thai Angola being an F1 and passing different genes to the Mextiza, but there always are these little trichomes and flowers and enormous amounts of fine resin.

I like them a lot, and I like very much the sativa bud structure.
These are just a couple out of them.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
These are the Mextiza clone I keep and the Meao Thai x Angola (Angola Verde - Liamba). These couple have been flowering for exactly 10 days under quite a lot of LED power and they did stretch a little but I don't thing they'll stretch more. 60 cm for the Mextiza and 80 for the Thai Angola, a nice structure and a rewarding sight.

Mextiza (Left) has already started budding while the Thai Angola (Right) hasn't yet.

Good smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
New plants growing. I didn't have much success with the SSSDH x Mextiza, but luckily I keep some more seeds. These are the ones in the left columns. 10 out of 12 ACE Honduras (right side)

These are the Ghana x Mextiza. Ghana, sold by CBG, was the most different landrace sativa I've ever had. I have no doubt that it was the real thing. They were so rare that I'll love to see new genes from the Mextiza into her. Ghana will dominate for sure, even that extremely dominant plant that is Mextiza, but I could be wrong.

Good smokes.

gorilla ganja

Great looking plants. Sounds like an interesting story unfolding.
I'll be watching from the back of the room.
Best of luck on your quest.

Peace GG

CodyPomeray

For your ace/cbg seeds how do you find germinating them best? Straight into medium or paper towel?

Planning on either straight into medium, or floating for 12 hours then 12 hours papertowel then medium.

I have seen dubi say older seeds/landraces prefer straight to medium, but I have always had varied success that way.

Great stuff, il be tuned in for sure.

Carraxe

Veteran
For your ace/cbg seeds how do you find germinating them best? Straight into medium or paper towel?

Planning on either straight into medium, or floating for 12 hours then 12 hours papertowel then medium.

I have seen dubi say older seeds/landraces prefer straight to medium, but I have always had varied success that way.

Great stuff, il be tuned in for sure.

Welcome to the adventure.

About the seeds: I just put them in clean new coco, water and wait. If it's cold I use a heat mat.
I've used Canna nutrients at half strength for the more extreme landraces and I've had no problems.

Cheers

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hi Carraxe,

Fantastic project, I am searching for what sounds like the same thing. I have never tried mextiza. Have you tried Ace's Congolese? I am planning on crossing that one to Blueberry and c99. Dubi has said the Congo has a upbeat motavational effect.

Best of luck on your project!

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi Carraxe,

Fantastic project, I am searching for what sounds like the same thing. I have never tried mextiza. Have you tried Ace's Congolese? I am planning on crossing that one to Blueberry and c99. Dubi has said the Congo has a upbeat motavational effect.

Best of luck on your project!

I try to avoid genetics that add indica genes to the mix, and there is some Indica in the Congo, AFAIK. So I keep the Mextiza as a reference, I believe that there are some indica genes there as well but still the better and strongest sativa effect, and I try to improve the effect mixing with the purest sativas I find.

Landraces are too weak for me, but their kind of effect is what I want. For example Blueberry is known for its mixed effect and very nice taste, and I wouldn't use it for that sativa work. I have had very nice experiences with Blueberries.

I hope you find what you want. Do you keep a thread about it? I'll have a look.

Cheers

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
No thread yet. Everything has been on hold. Next up is the blueberry trials. I need to update that thread. Life got in the way but we will be getting it done soon.

I will follow your progress and when I get a thread up I will link you.

All the best