What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Create a Semi-Auto Flowering Strain?

offthehook

Veteran
One little trick you can do with regular plants that are not too long flowering is to pre grow them on 12/12 untill gender shows, then kick them outdoors at summer solstice.

I done that on occasion and it works, though I don't like the hassle of pregrowing indoors > might as well finnish them indoors then too.

Once in flower, the photo sensitive plants pick up on the decreasing day length and remain into flowering. Even if it starts decreasing from 24/0 like in here.

Femora

Do you have to flower them 12/12 from seed or can u veg them like 3 weeks, flip 12/12 and wait like 2 weeks for preflowers and then plant em outside anytime after june 22??

massud

Stealth Grower
Veteran

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
N

Genetics aside if one were to cross the earliest every year it would create a vary stable light sensitive strain. As long as the genetics allow for it of course. One couldn't expect a super light sensitive pure sativa/Thi strain.

Hope this helps.

this is not tru i have maked autoflowering crosses/strains of pure haze and thai's
wen i cross mine auto haze#1 with Meao Thai / Oldtimer's Haze fromAce i get lots of semi-autoflowering pheno's in F1 remember lots of Thia get in flowering wen rootbond (wen root fill pot?)
and starts too flowering and cross too some early/autfolwering you get some early starting powerfull sativa's
sorry for my bad english hope you guy;s understand?
peace LBH

Femora

Something just struck me..

How am I supposed to know if the strains are autos or early?!?

I have 24/7 sunlight 22 June.. I guess that the "true autos" will start flower within their "timeframes", but what about the early? Will I have to keep an eye up for the ones flowering after im getting first dark hours?

example; I assume the strains will have about 14 days from starting to flower (imaginary 12/12switch), until prebuds/hairs... Say... i see this 22 july, minus 14 days = 8 July.. I have about 1 hour darkness then. Voila! I found a 23/1. OR i just found a auto that grew slow... :eek:

The autos should start flower within 4-6 weeks (=in late june/early july)

But how am I supposed to tell the difference between a late AF that just needed some more vegtime, and the earlyflowering that will be "early"?
Does my post make any sense? Anyone has some input I can chew on for a while?

Confused thoughts...

offthehook

Veteran
Early's take off with more vigor and with thicker stems at first.

With my own stock the difference this way would be real hard to tell tho.
My auto's can be as vigorous and with as thick stems as early's but I know of no other commercial auto's that could do the same.

I also haven't ran into late flowering commercial auto's thus far.

Question, why does it matter to you?

Or better yet, how about PM ? so we could speed things up a bit.

Femora

Early's take off with more vigor and with thicker stems at first.

With my own stock the difference this way would be real hard to tell tho.
My auto's can be as vigorous and with as thick stems as early's but I know of no other commercial auto's that could do the same.

Question, why does it matter to you?

Or better yet, how about PM ? so we could speed things up a bit.

Thanks for the explanation bout' the difference. It gave me something to chew on, but didnt make me less confused. :p

Is the only thing that matters to me when it comes to my wish to make a strain that can be foretold when it will be done at certain latitudes. (like 55-65~...)
And its the only way I can forfill my dream with a weed-tree this far up north! :)

Well, im at the chat right now if you wanna pop by.

I figure the most effective way to get harvests are big numbers of AFs up here.. But the cash in it is not really what matters to me..

offthehook

Veteran
Quote Femora: I figure the most effective way to get harvests are big numbers of AFs up here. Unquote.

OTH > That would cut it pretty much at 65 yes, but at 55 early's could be much better if they are not too sensitive to mold.

Femora

Heya! I was browsing the RCMC once again, and stumbled over their news...

Whats really interesting for me/ this thread is the Highrise new GG2 F7

... and for me personally, for a cash-crop.. Im aiming for a pack of the other limited stuff from thesame breeder; Auto diesel mix.
Something in there could be a winner. Well, its worth to give it a shot anyway! :woohoo:

Well, i dunno If I should abandon the mightmight-plan, go for the gg2F7, or just abandon the earlys.. There should be some AF in there.. Hrrm..
but then again.. I will have SHITLOADS to attend to this summe anyways.

Ill sleep on it and hope to dream about it!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Well... RCMC sure came through! :thank you:

GG #3 and Brickland arrived yesterday. Scarified, then a 12hr soak and almost 15% of them have already cracked!

Good looking beans, no undeveloped or green. VERY healthy so far. LOL

One of those GG #3 seeds was probably the tiniest seed I've ever seen.

This is going to be interesting.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

loke30

The next place I'll probably be looking (probably next year) is in Norway and the other cold countries in the EU. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:
Hi Hydro - Soil!

I'm not an experienced grower, but hopefully I have some usable info on seeds anyway:)

Norway has very little growing and I'm pretty sure you won't find any seeds here. Danish seeds are popular around here along with autos. Sweden is the same. There are quite a few Danish seed banks around, and you will find great HFH gear at the Bay.

Here is a link from an old Norwegian grow https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=171424

Cheers:tiphat: