What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Create a Semi-Auto Flowering Strain?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Heyas, :tiphat:

So... I'm looking to find/create an early flowering strain for the mountain area I live in.

I've run into reports of Auto-Affie, which flowers around 22/2 lighting, but haven't seen anything more recent than '07?

My question... How likely am I to find a semi-auto if I just cross Princess Diesel F2's and a stable autoflower strain? I've looked around and the info on autoflower breeding doesn't talk about semi-autos.

How often do autoflower breeders get mums that stay vegging in 24/0 lighting?

Any help will be greatly appreciated by a large number of Colorado residents. :) (Free seeds anyone??) LOL

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Upon further reflection I'm thinking that what I'm really looking for is a super early flowering freak... to breed with.

This is actually a good thought for me. Though the autoflowers have their purpose... I would prefer a strain that's capable of several pounds. Residents are restricted to 3 mature per adult... so we're talking 6 monsters in a greenhouse.

Anyone know the origins of Auto-Affie? All I can find is that it's 'probably' Afghani crossed with ruderalis. (Like there's only one pheno/strain of ruderalis. LOL)

Anyway... a little light on the subject by someone who's run this around the block would be most welcome. :)

Thank You!

offthehook

Veteran
check out the Finnish outdoor section I'd say. Down southern Finland it's only about early's.

Here up north, only True auto's and some super early's like Thyphoon are working.

Danish strains are popular here, though they still need to be worked for mold resistency this much north.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
200g maxi autos, 4.5 month cycle no good to you ? available now, straight autos are not all 30cm 15g dwarves....

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
200g maxi autos, 4.5 month cycle no good to you ?
Perhaps with the first month and a half indoor... but that defeats the purpose of full flowering in the sun... would much rather acclimate to the sun while in full veg.

Looking for something I can veg to 3' indoor before flowering outside. Perhaps 4-5 feet with the right setup... lot of electricity for that though.

Royal Canadian Marijuana Collective was brought to my attention. Looks like they have what I'm looking for. Auto-Affie and early-early flowering strains that are cold and mold resistant.

Seems I'm just "american" conditioned to look in the wrong places. LOL I've started branching into the areas of the world that have the same types of weather as I do. LOL Duh! :D

This makes things much simpler, though it doesn't answer my question of where auto-affie came from originally. :) Wondering it if was indeed an auto it was crossed with....

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
grow from a cros AF X non AF the F2 seeds under 24 light select the non autoflowering ones and slowly put the light hours lower the first one that flowers will be good for clooning and outdoor (ofcorse if you fint one that starts too flowerinmg with for example 20 hour light
i think auto affie is make this way too (some sort of mighti mite x afghani) (geurillia gold 3 type cross? )

sorry english is bad hoop you guy's understand

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
grow from a cros AF X non AF the F2 seeds under 24 light select the non autoflowering ones and slowly put the light hours lower the first one that flowers will be good for clooning and outdoor (ofcorse if you fint one that starts too flowerinmg with for example 20 hour light
i think auto affie is make this way too (some sort of mighti mite x afghani) (geurillia gold 3 type cross? )

sorry english is bad hoop you guy's understand

So... lots and lots of time and then lots of seed generations to stabilize. Heheh I think finding a canadian, finish, norway or other cold/short season strains that work up here is the first task... especially any bred with auto-affie or similar. :)

Just wish there was more solid evidence on where auto-affie came from... somehow, if it's just a cross with a ruderalis strain, I believe there would be more of them... if it was that easy.

Your english is great. :) :thank you:

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I sent in some seeds to the server fund a few months back of Auto Affie x ( Kalimist x FLO ) some may still be available as freebies if you send email and ask.

Get them and run all of them and being that the AA was crossed to heavy sat strains any AA phenos should be easy to spot with some research into AA. Any AA phenos are going to show sex earliest so a veg room on say 18/6 or 20/4 may even get lucky and one flowers in your veg area. Then when you flower them once again what finishes first and doesn't go to crazy with stretch is another sign....etc

S_a_H

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NBtrichgrower
Hello all, Just to drop in and give a little info on the Auto Afghan that reibeisi grows, Its a cut that i passed out around my part of the province (im in the same province as Reibesi)Its gotten around these parts pretty good since i started the seeds winter of 1996. I acquired the seeds from a freind that was given them .These seeds were not supposed to be passed out of the group of growers that had them but 11 of them leaked to me
smile.gif
Out of these seeds there was 3 females a #5 (spicy skunky) , # 6 SKUNKY SKUNKY, #99 Spicy, skunky.The #6 is the one Reibesi probably has but the #5 did get spread around some circles as well so its hard to say for sure without me testing it . I ended up sticking with the #6 .
I did make seeds from these back in 96 and have created another strain in 1998 with a NL/Skunk from amdam (mid 90's not sure which seed company). The auto affie is a local strain that was being grown localy for a few years .Along its lifetime it had a skunk #1 added into it from amdam early 90's, and a said tray of clones acquired from Ontario mid 90's that were believed to be mighty mite. This is when the auto flower traits were introduced i would say. The Growers around here that created the strain call it Hasha or hash weed. I wanted to take any heat off my freind that snuck out the seeds to me so i changed the name to afghan because at that point i also hear there was afghan genetics in the strain . I had bought this weed for a few years before aquiring the strain and was AFter the strain when i got it .
So more than likely anyone growing this strain around here calling affie or afghan is growing one of my cuts , if it s being called hasha, well its probably from the other group growing this strain. THat group has inbred it every summer as they grow all from seed every year and has changed the strain drasticly since mid 90's.
I hope this helps explain a little about the auto affie from New Brunswick
Peace

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NBTrichgrower
Were you smokin in the mid 90's? If so do you remember weed that was around abundantly throughout the whole southern NB, it was sweated brown, and called hash weed, or hasha, we named it "the fear" as a nickname which caught on in the SJ area ,Well it was around for a couple years in thaT SAME FORM, BUT THE BREEDERS(MORE SO GROWERS THAN BREEDERS) Continuously inbred this every year, and merely picking parents for earliness, is how it is believed to come about. The story I have pieced together about its heritage is this. I do know many of people which know the grower responsible very well, I personally do not know him, I have spoke to him in public situations etc , but he is no t a freind.
He started in the late 80s growing with bagseed, from this he travelled to amdam in the early 90's , he acquired skunk 1 and blueberry , among some others i am sure,
He basically crossed his local strain which came from bagseed he had inbred for a few years , learning the game , with skunk1 I was told, but I have also heard from another person who used to do alot of work on his home and vehicles and he said something about a blueberry being involved, this could have been after i received the seeds , this part I cant be sure about.
Then the year following this cross with the skunk, he somehow acquired a tray of clones labeled mighty mite, and once again crossed his local x skunk with the mighty mite, and this is when the brown hash weed appeared, it was the first cross with the mighty mite, all there growing was done from seed at that time, and was faiRly consistent in the bag for seed crop. Now there was an unfortunate bust , which the cops only got stocks and paraphernalia , so the following summer, there was no commercial growing done, but they did make seed from this stock they had , which was low, so it was a f2 of the (local x skunk) x mighty mite is my best guess, I know one of the guys personaly that was involved in this seed making , and this is where my 10 seeds came from, nOW WHERE THE NAME CAME FROM :
the year previous, when the brown weed or hash weed was everywhere, a good freind of mine told me he knew the grower and he had told him there was alot of afghan in its make up, which does not go along with the rest of the story , unless he means the strains used, did evolve from afghan genetics , so he was generally speaking. This was why i callled the cut affie or afghani, My freind I had received the seeds from was not supposed to give any out , so I didnt want to call it hasha , as to cover the trail of where the seed came from, so he wouldn't catch shit
and now that damned clone is every where.........
oh , out of the 10 seeds i stuck with 3 females the first year and narrowed it to one after that , i had passed out all 3, so who is to say which of the 3, if the auto affy around is from, I know the one i run into around here is the one i labeled #6 , and the other main one i gave to a grower who did some breeding was the #5, both skunky and stinky as helll, but the #5 had a spicy dominant taste, and the #6 had a skunks ass flavour, i enjoyed the skunks ass better
Now , this is the story on how it came to be , the best i can piece together just being in the same circle as the breeder somewhat, and being around since it came about, And that is assuming the affie is the same as the one i started, but i would be shocked if it wasnt, the traits combined with uniqueness off it, id be a little surprised if it wasnt , and if it had come from the breeders freinds or what not, it would have had the label hasha, not affie, as i made this name up for it, which tells me it came from my line
thaNKS FOR LISTENING

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Awesome!

Supreme thanks for the info-dump S_a_H... wow. :)

Definitely love seeing my options open up. When I stop and really think about it... it tickles me pink. Can't wait to stabilize something that works well outdoor up here... then start passing out seeds. :)

It's gonna be interesting around here in a few years for sure. LOL

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you read and write any other langauges ? If you do start some searching for grow forums in that langauge. Use Google translating page and search the world for info about autoflowers. The Eastern Block countries have much going on and for something different search them. They have short outdoor growing seasons so finding fast finishers is easy there just do the research and you'll find great info.

Look through some of Esbe's threads here and elsewhere and research the names he talks about and should lead to others etc... https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65703

S_a_H

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Much appreciated. :)

My research time is restricted a bit... another language will slow me down. Still doable. Gonna check out what Canada has to offer first... then go global if necessary. :)

Hydro Soil
Take a look at Biddy Early (serious seeds) I believe this strain to be a semi auto strain, states they will auto flower after 90 or so day vegging or when becoming root bound.
Not sure if this fits your requirements...
Peace
mg

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Nope... but close ;)

Should be good for some situations though. I need something that will veg indefinitely for cloning. Basically a plant that will flower with only 4hrs of darkness.

The next place I'll probably be looking (probably next year) is in Norway and the other cold countries in the EU. :)

Femora

Come by Hydro-Soil.. Would be awesome! ;D

That "Semi auto"-expression is so wrong, the plant is earlyflowering.

I checked up all strain I wanna try out this summer.. And I ended up at 845 Euro, +delivery from atleast 3 vendors.. :noway: !!!
Of these are about 60 seeds directly involved in the search for the perfect earlyflowering lady up at my Lat!

I have to step back a little and slow down. I doubt I can handle 150 plants AND this kind of special breeding-program on the side with only once per week-visits.

"Go big or go home!" eh?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Would love to! :)

Yeah... didn't know I was looking for "early flowering" when I started the thread... do now. :) Thanks!

OUch! 845E? That's a lotta lettuce for beans! (at least for someone like me. LOL) I would take your own advice and keep the project as simple as possible to start with. Very easy to get overwhelmed quickly... as the variables start multiplying. :)