What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are the origins of Jamaican marijuana?

Cvh

Supermod
Marijuana's History: How One Plant Spread Through the World

From the sites where prehistoric hunters and gatherers lived, to ancient China and Viking ships, cannabis has been used across the world for ages, and a new report presents the drug's colorful history.
In the report, author Barney Warf describes how cannabis use originated thousands of years ago in Asia, and has since found its way to many regions of the world, eventually spreading to the Americas and the United States.

"For the most part, it was widely used for medicine and spiritual purposes," during pre-modern times, said Warf, a professor of geography at the University of Kansas in Lawrence. For example, the Vikings and medieval Germans used cannabis for relieving pain during childbirth and for toothaches, he said.

"The idea that this is an evil drug is a very recent construction," and the fact that it is illegal is a "historical anomaly," Warf said. Marijuana has been legal in many regions of the world for most of its history.

Where did pot come from?

It is important to distinguish between the two familiar subspecies of the cannabis plant, Warf said. Cannabis sativa, known as marijuana, has psychoactive properties. The other plant is Cannabis sativa L. (The L was included in the name in honor of the botanist Carl Linnaeus.) This subspecies is known as hemp; it is a nonpsychoactive form of cannabis, and is used in manufacturing products such as oil, cloth and fuel. [11 Odd Facts About Marijuana]

A second psychoactive species of the plant, Cannabis indica, was identified by the French naturalist Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, and a third, uncommon one, Cannabis ruderalis, was named in 1924 by Russian botanist D.E. Janischevisky.

Cannabis plants are believed to have evolved on the steppes of Central Asia, specifically in the regions that are now Mongolia and southern Siberia, according to Warf. The history of cannabis use goes back as far as 12,000 years, which places the plant among humanity's oldest cultivated crops, according to information in the book "Marihuana: The First Twelve Thousand Years" (Springer, 1980).

"It likely flourished in the nutrient-rich dump sites of prehistoric hunters and gatherers," Warf wrote in his study.

Burned cannabis seeds have also been found in kurgan burial mounds in Siberia dating back to 3,000 B.C., and some of the tombs of noble people buried in Xinjiang region of China and Siberia around 2500 B.C. have included large quantities of mummified psychoactive marijuana.

Both hemp and psychoactive marijuana were used widely in ancient China, Warf wrote. The first record of the drug's medicinal use dates to 4000 B.C. The herb was used, for instance, as an anesthetic during surgery, and stories say it was even used by the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung in 2737 B.C. (However, whether Shen Nung was a real or a mythical figure has been debated, as the first emperor of a unified China was born much later than the supposed Shen Nung.)

From China, coastal farmers brought pot to Korea about 2000 B.C. or earlier, according to the book "The Archeology of Korea" (Cambridge University Press, 1993). Cannabis came to the South Asian subcontinent between 2000 B.C. and 1000 B.C., when the region was invaded by the Aryans — a group that spoke an archaic Indo-European language. The drug became widely used in India, where it was celebrated as one of "five kingdoms of herbs ... which release us from anxiety" in one of the ancient Sanskrit Vedic poems whose name translate into "Science of Charms."

From Asia to Europe

Cannabis came to the Middle East between 2000 B.C. and 1400 B.C., and it was probably used there by the Scythians, a nomadic Indo-European group. The Scythians also likely carried the drug into southeast Russia and Ukraine, as they occupied both territories for years, according to Warf's report. Germanic tribes brought the drug into Germany, and marijuana went from there to Britain during the 5th century with the Anglo-Saxon invasions. [See*map of marijuana's spread*throughout the world.]

picture.php

This map shows how marijuana spread throughout the world, from its origins on the steppes of Central Asia.
Credit: Barney Warf, University of Kansas

"Cannabis seeds have also been found in the remains of Viking ships dating to the mid-ninth century," Warf wrote in the study.

Over the next centuries, cannabis migrated to various regions of the world, traveling through Africa, reaching South America in the 19th century and being carried north afterwards, eventually reaching North America.

How did marijuana get to the United States?

After this really long "trip" throughout the pre-modern and modern worlds, cannabis finally came to the United States at the beginning of the 20th century. It arrived in the southwest United States from Mexico, with immigrants fleeing that country during the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1911.

"Many early prejudices against marijuana were thinly veiled racist fears of its smokers, often promulgated by reactionary newspapers," Warf wrote in his report. "Mexicans were frequently blamed for smoking marijuana, property crimes, seducing children and engaging in murderous sprees."

Americans laws never recognized the difference between Cannabis sativa L. and Cannabis sativa. The plant was first outlawed in Utah in 1915, and by 1931 it was illegal in 29 states, according to the report.

In 1930, Harry Aslinger became the first commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN) and undertook multiple efforts to make marijuana illegal in all states. In 1937, the Marijuana Tax Act put cannabis under the regulation of the Drug Enforcement Agency, criminalizing possession of the plant throughout the country.

"Today, the federal government still classifies marijuana as a Schedule I controlled substance, along with heroin and LSD, indicating it has high potential for abuse and addiction, no accepted medical uses and no safe level of use," Warf wrote.

Article: https://www.livescience.com/48337-marijuana-history-how-cannabis-travelled-world.html

bigAl25

Veteran
I was intrigued by the question and read through all the posts. It ended up depressing the hell out of me when it got to the number of slaves who perished. I will not have any real input to the answer, but I'm going to do my own personal research(consumption) when go down to Negril, Couples on bloody bay in September. I'll try to find a rasta for some ganja on trip from Montego Bay. It's only one bus stop now with the new roads. It's laws have changed and I think medical is approved and 6 plants per household can be grown. Hell, I just want to find some good sativas and enjoy the island and it's people. Irie Mon. Oh, I will listen to reggae and Bob Marley while I'm down there, it's on my phone. Respect... Cool question though.

Cvh

Supermod
There is a correlation between the slave trade and the spread of Cannabis to the continent of America.

Marijuana spread throughout the world, from its origins on the steppes of Central Asia:
(Credit: Barney Warf, University of Kansas)

picture.php

Slave trade 1650-1860:
(Thanks to Elmer Bud for sharing this map)
picture.php

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
@Dr. Young:
Thomas Jefferson grew hemp not marijuana. And there is no evidence/quote he would have smoked it.
---
Article: Did Thomas Jefferson Smoke Weed?
https://greenrushdaily.com/did-thomas-jefferson-smoke-weed/

Thomas Jefferson was a lot of things, but was he also a weed smoker? He was a titan of industry. The hemp industry, to be exact. Beyond being the third U.S. President and drafting the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson was an industrial cultivator of cannabis sativa for hemp. But Did Thomas Jefferson smoke weed? There are competing historical views on the question.
Thomas Jefferson Grew Fields of Cannabis

Hemp was a crucial agricultural product for the American colonists. In the eighteenth century, hemp was a widely used to manufacture all kinds of essential textiles. Sails, rope, and clothing were all commonly made from hemp.
Hemp was abundant and easy to grow. And plantation owners like Jefferson capitalized on the situation by cultivating acres of cannabis sativa.

But the kind of cannabis Jefferson’s slaves grew on his Monticello plantation in Virginia was very different from the kind we enjoy today.
Even today, the cannabis we cultivate for hemp is an entirely different strain than the cannabis we cultivate for medical or recreational use.
Importantly, the major differences are the chemical composition and of course, the fiber content. Cannabis strains that produce hemp have virtually no THC, but they can be very high in CBD.
So if Thomas Jefferson was growing weed, the kind you smoke to get high, he probably wasn’t growing it in his industrial hemp plantations.

“Some of my finest hours…”

At first look, the evidence about Jefferson growing weed seems inconclusive. He grew hemp, sure. But hemp and marijuana are two different things, even if they do belong to the same species.
But that doesn’t mean that Jefferson didn’t grow his own private plot of weed. Or even if he didn’t grow it himself, did Thomas Jefferson smoke weed? Maybe George Washington hooked him up!
In any case, there’s one apocryphal quote, attributed to Jefferson, that has many people thinking that Jefferson did indeed enjoy getting high.

Here’s the quote:
Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see.
There’s*a lot to pick up on in this quote. But the problem is that the historical experts on Thomas Jefferson can’t find any evidence on the quote. There’s no mention of smoking hemp in any of Jefferson’s writings.
And furthermore, suggests the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, the quote appears to have a dubious providence online. The first instance dates back to 2008. So the quote may just be some internet rumor that gained traction.
But the quote itself is somewhat compelling. First, Jefferson’s Virginia home, Monticello, does have a back veranda that overlooks the grounds of the estate.

So Jefferson did have quite a view to take in. And the quote does mention smoking hemp, not marijuana, which Jefferson had a lot of on hand.
At the same time, however, it’s hard to imagine exactly what pleasure Jefferson got from smoking hemp. Considering the fact that hemp isn’t psychoactive, there seems to be nothing about smoking it that would produce one’s “finest hours.”
Final Hit: Did Thomas Jefferson Smoke Weed?
Let’s sum up the evidence. Jefferson was a hemp grower who wrote extensively about the best ways to cultivate the plant. But in all of that literature, there’s no reference to growing or smoking marijuana.
Furthermore, the one suggestive quote we have has been debunked by the people officially in charge of Thomas Jefferson’s history.

Finally, historians argue that Jefferson wasn’t a man of smoking habits in the first place. His plantation also produced tobacco, but Jefferson didn’t smoke that either. So did Thomas Jefferson smoke weed. Probably not.

herbgreen

Veteran
Thomas Jefferson Smoke Weed?

Yes.

Of course he did!!!

What, you didnt read that quote!

And its True.

We better start stickin' together on some of these stories

If this happens to be some sort cannabis propaganda that's good we will take it!

With all the absolute nonsense about cannabis And half the time its not just wrong but the opposite is true.

Enough, Thomas Jefferson smoked weed sounds good

What else you got???

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Jefferson was Ambassador to France during the hashish era there. At risk of imprisonment if caught, Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China known for their potency to America. However, as far as our research takes us, he never said or wrote, “Some of my finest hours have been spent sitting on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see.”

Even older
George Washington The father of our country kept meticulous diaries, wherein he noted “Sowed hemp at muddy hole by swamp” away from the hemp he grew for fiber. “Began to separate the male from female plants at do [sic –rather too late” and “Pulling up the (male) hemp. Was too late for the blossom hemp by three weeks or a month” indicates he was going for female plants with higher THC content. There is also indication he used hemp preparations to deal with his toothaches.

James monroe....

Andrew jackson...

All way before 1920

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just a few remarks:

- The map above has cannabis arriving in Egypt in 700AD

I have no doubt more or new strains of weed could have arrived in Egypt in 700 AD. However the first descriptions (in history) of cannabis in Egypt are from 1700 and 1600 BC, in the Ramessium III and the Ebers papyri. And the presence of weed or use in medicine maybe be older than that, however that's the evidence we have.

- There is a history to Africa that goes well beyond the arrival of the Portuguese, or the Transatlantic Slave Trade

It is a trap to think history started with these two events.

- After slavery, free labor was replaced by indentured labor from India.

In Jamaica, weed is often referred to as Ganja, from the name of the Ganges River in India. However, it is also possible there were multiple strains on the island - maybe Ganja and Lamsbread were names for different strains? Or that old strains have been replaced by new strains. From Wikipedia:

Name of Colony Number of Labourers Transported

Mauritius 453,063
British Guiana 238,909
Trinidad and Tobago 143,939
Jamaica 36,412
Grenada 3,200
St Lucia 4,350
Natal 152,184
St Kitts 337
St Vincent 2,472
Reunion 26,507
Surinam 34,304
Fiji 60,965
East Africa 32,000
Seychelles 6,315

Total 1,194,957​

Cvh

Supermod
Thomas Jefferson Smoke Weed?

Yes.

Of course he did!!!

What, you didnt read that quote!

And its True.

We better start stickin' together on some of these stories

If this happens to be some sort cannabis propaganda that's good we will take it!

With all the absolute nonsense about cannabis And half the time its not just wrong but the opposite is true.

Enough, Thomas Jefferson smoked weed sounds good

What else you got???

Read the article I posted or just the last alinea.
It's been debunked by historians working at the Thomas Jefferson foundation. The quote only exist since 2008 from the internet. It does not originate from the literature.

-----
Here’s the quote:
Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye can see.

There’s*a lot to pick up on in this quote. But the problem is that the historical experts on Thomas Jefferson can’t find any evidence on the quote. There’s no mention of smoking hemp in any of Jefferson’s writings.
And furthermore, suggests the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, the quote appears to have a dubious providence online. The first instance dates back to 2008. So the quote may just be some internet rumor that gained traction.
But the quote itself is somewhat compelling. First, Jefferson’s Virginia home, Monticello, does have a back veranda that overlooks the grounds of the estate.

So Jefferson did have quite a view to take in. And the quote does mention smoking hemp, not marijuana, which Jefferson had a lot of on hand.
At the same time, however, it’s hard to imagine exactly what pleasure Jefferson got from smoking hemp. Considering the fact that hemp isn’t psychoactive, there seems to be nothing about smoking it that would produce one’s “finest hours.”
Final Hit: Did Thomas Jefferson Smoke Weed?
Let’s sum up the evidence. Jefferson was a hemp grower who wrote extensively about the best ways to cultivate the plant. But in all of that literature, there’s no reference to growing or smoking marijuana.
Furthermore, the one suggestive quote we have has been debunked by the people officially in charge of Thomas Jefferson’s history.

Finally, historians argue that Jefferson wasn’t a man of smoking habits in the first place. His plantation also produced tobacco, but Jefferson didn’t smoke that either. So did Thomas Jefferson smoke weed. Probably not

Cvh

Supermod
Just a few remarks:

- The map above has cannabis arriving in Egypt in 700AD

I have no doubt more or new strains of weed could have arrived in Egypt in 700 AD. However the first descriptions (in history) of cannabis in Egypt are from 1700 and 1600 BC, in the Ramessium III and the Ebers papyri. And the presence of weed or use in medicine maybe be older than that, however that's the evidence we have.
Indeed, there is lots of evidence that proofs that Cannabis arrived much sooner in Africa.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Already stated earlier source than Thomas Jefferson cvh... Plus all that does is debunk a fake quote. You have to do some actual research. Marijuana was already being labeled a poison by 1906.... So believing a picture saying it arrived in 1920 is clearly impossible.
Drug_bottle_containing_cannabis.jpg

Thats a bottle from 1906...

"Medicinal preparations of cannabis became available in American pharmacies in the 1850s following an introduction to its use in Western medicine by William O'Shaughnessy a decade earlier in 1839"

Cvh

Supermod
Already stated earlier source than Thomas Jefferson cvh... Plus all that does is debunk a fake quote. You have to do some actual research. Marijuana was already being labeled a poison by 1906.... So believing a picture saying it arrived in 1920 is clearly impossible.
View Image
Thats a bottle from 1906...

"Medicinal preparations of cannabis became available in American pharmacies in the 1850s following an introduction to its use in Western medicine by William O'Shaughnessy a decade earlier in 1839"
I agree, but why do you think I belief the map?
I posted the article to give a general idea about the spread of Cannabis and the connection with Africa.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
By considering the Austronesian migrations... ;)

extent-of-austronesian-migrations2.jpg
extent-of-austronesian-migrations2.jpg
picture.php

Cannabis may also have been able to arrive in America by the East! (?)

So about the relation Jamaica< Ethiopia< South India
I think that it's all about the faith, not necessarily linked to human origins even if several African origins knew slavery, maybe Ethiopian too i don't know? But anyway Ethiopia is the heart of Africa for many reasons and with a very old civilization/kingdom before the Egyptian. A sacred land "Land of Punt" that diluted all religions according to the times. Since neolitics for example with megaliths! With of course an old relationship with India and all the world, it was a crossroads of important trade there. So Jamaica is far from all that but Jamaicans are special godly/musicians with a mystical Christian branch (in the person of Marcus Garvey), probably connected to the Ethiopian mystic vibes in the age and with the cannabis as sacrament like myrrh and incense.

Lambsbread < Highland Ethiopian < Kerala < Thai < (?)

Peace

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

View ImageView ImageView Image

I think that it's all about the faith, not necessarily linked to human origins even if several African origins knew slavery, maybe Ethiopian too i don't know? But anyway Ethiopia is the heart of Africa for many reasons and with a very old civilization/kingdom before the Egyptian. A sacred land "Land of Punt" that diluted all religions according to the times. Since neolitics for example with megaliths! With of course an old relationship with India and all the world, it was a crossroads of important trade there. So Jamaica is far from all that but Jamaicans are special godly/musicians with a mystical Christian branch (in the person of Marcus Garvey), probably connected to the Ethiopian mystic vibes in the age and with the cannabis as sacrament like myrrh and incense.

Peace
BTW around 500 AD a seismic event caused the population of Bali to be dispersed to what is now Vietnam and all the way to Madagascar.

If you look at the South Equatorian Current in the Indian Ocean, it leads you right from Bali to Madagascar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_Counter_Current#/media/File:Corrientes-oceanicas-en.svg

And that voyage, made in 500 AD from Bali to Madagascar across the Indian Ocean, is about twice as long as the voyage from West Africa to South America.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
(...) I know Kerala genetics it was me that first offered Kerala seeds to the public from seeds I had collected in 1975 in Munnar in the mountains in Kerala.
Great Cannabis almost seedless and beautiful NLD Indica, yes a narrow leaf Indica. From the farmers I paid $3.50 a kilo for some of the best Cannabis I ever saw.
I ground up the buds for seed extraction, maybe 5-10 seeds per KG of buds. I kept the seeds and turned the 20 kg of Cannabis minus the seeds to my guide who had taken me around to the farms.
I did smoke as much as I could, but I was there for seeds.

-SamS

:) wow what a beautiful time, respect papa SamS!
Have you ever smoked some Lambsbread for example or Ethiopians to compare all? Great Phylos suites!

@GoatCheese, i think that "Vikings" is a decadent time but before them i think there was peace time with pre-celtic free vibes and maybe cannabis use? I know that the Celtic is prior and at the beginning of Hinduism and not the inverse! Shiva < Cernunnos in mind!

Absence of evidence is not all ways evidence of absence
Well said bro! And with time everything eventually disappears or you have to dig deep, also difficult to find traces of oral cultures!

troutman

Seed Whore
The natives were in North America well before Europeans including the Vikings and the Spanish or Africans arrived.

I don't remember reading anything about the native Americans using Cannabis do you?

There's also no mention of the North American settlers finding Cannabis already growing in the history books.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

View ImageView ImageView Image

Peace

G `day Roms

There is no native cannabis in Australia , New Zealand or Pacific Isles as far as I know .

Indonesia has cannabis . I don`t know when it arrived there . More likely came with the Europeans .

So the guys with the good stuff by passed Oceania and took their stash to America ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Latest posts

Latest posts