What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It is called decorum

Status
Not open for further replies.

insomniac_AU

What is happening to America? I expect this sort of crap in Australia. We've seen the exit of just about all our manufacturing industry off shore. Purely because our government doesn't see the value in investing in and protecting local jobs. I never expected to see this in America. Traditionally you have always valued your local manufacturing industry. GM and Ford must be shaking in their boots.

R

Rubber Chicken

Trump lovers and defenders.... they just eat his bullsh*t up like it's porterhouse :yikes:

Strutting around thinking they are winning something, while their credibility depletes like a squished woopie cushion.

Take a step back and watch his performance as if he had a [D] next to his name.... you might see something you aren't seeing just yet.

John McCain said it well 'Half Baked spurious nationalism'.... and he was being kind.

Trump doesn't like you, he just likes that you like him.

Talk about rabid. :yoinks:

Brother Nature

The Harley thing is pretty interesting. Aside from Ford I can't really think of many other world respected brands as American as Harley, they're about as American as you can get. It seems like a huge shift in the paradigm with an announcement like that from such a staunchly American brand. Will be interesting to see how this 'trade war' plays out, these trade tariffs really seem to be against the interest of the average American so I wonder where the logic is in them. If someone could (rationally) explain the thought process behind it I'd be appreciative, I always like to look at the other side.

On another note, imagine how many MC's will have to drastically change their membership rules if Harley moves to predominately overseas production. I really can't imagine any members being happy knowing their riding on an Indian made Harley. Maybe they'll have to switch to something reliable... ;) :D

insomniac_AU

The Harley thing is pretty interesting. Aside from Ford I can't really think of many other world respected brands as American as Harley, they're about as American as you can get. It seems like a huge shift in the paradigm with an announcement like that from such a staunchly American brand. Will be interesting to see how this 'trade war' plays out, these trade tariffs really seem to be against the interest of the average American so I wonder where the logic is in them. If someone could (rationally) explain the thought process behind it I'd be appreciative, I always like to look at the other side.

On another note, imagine how many MC's will have to drastically change their membership rules if Harley moves to predominately overseas production. I really can't imagine any members being happy knowing their riding on an Indian made Harley. Maybe they'll have to switch to something reliable... ;) :D

Trump can deflect blame all he wants but policy will dictate what these companies do. You can't blame the companies. There is no such thing as patriotism in business. The directors have an obligation to make the company as profitable as possible. It's up to governments to make it attractive for these companies to do business in their countries. Sad thing is once they are gone they are unlikely to come back.

Last edited:
R

Rubber Chicken

There is no real logic.... that is the point, Trump has delusions of grandeur.... talks a huge game but has no substance.

He's the rich d*ckhead that was given everything in life, was surrounded by yes people in his golden tower, taking dumps in a gold toilet, no real friends or loyalties to anyone but demanded loyalty from everyone.
He ran for president purely out of ego but had no real concept of what he was running for.... he just needed validation in his own mind that he was a great man.... and millions of buffoons were there willing to hand it to him.

He isn't that smart guys.... sheesh.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

the little orange douchenozzle in DC STILL has his 'Chump' branded shirts made in Bangladesh, and his ties are STILL made in China.

practice what you preach clown boy!!!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The logic in the tariffs is that the US has some of the lowest tariffs in the world, while most of our trading partners see fit to levy tariffs against US products that are substantially higher. This gives our export manufacturing base a sizeable handicap when trying to enter their markets, particularly since our cost of manufacturing is higher as a result of higher wages, increased cost from environmental protections, etc.

In the case of Canada and Mexico, as a result of NAFTA they had been being used as a back door by China to move product into the US market without tariffs. "Partially manufactured" parts could be supplied by China because they weren't considered a "finished product", used in the construction of the cars and then sold into the US under the NAFTA trade agreement that precluded tariffs on products made in Canada and Mexico. One of the sticking points in the NAFTA negotiations was that the US was insisting on a higher percentage of North American-made parts in Canadian-assembled autos, while Canada was pushing for a lower North American content.

Yes, imposing tariffs on foreign products will increase prices to US consumers. It will also facilitate bringing jobs back to the US because it will make our labor more competitive with foreign labor. Whether or not you agree with the idea depends on whether or not you want to buy a Chinese TV with your welfare check, or an American one with your paycheck. The naysayers claim that US manufacturing jobs are permanently lost, but that is obviously not the case if companies can turn a profit with domestic manufacturing. Just since the steel tariffs have been discussed, companies are doing exactly that - for instance, JSW Steel just announced that they are hiring 1,000 employees and investing $1 billion in their Ohio and Texas plants.

All of this is apparently a little too difficult for our resident financial experts on here to understand....

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/21/steel-company-jsw-usa-to-add-1000-new-jobs-ceo.html

Brother Nature

Great, thanks for that Rives, I was hoping to get a response from you on this, you seem like quite a well read individual and tend to argue your points in a logical fashion so cheers mate. I'll have to mull over the points in your response but what you say does make sense to me. I know a lot of motorcycle manufacturers have been moving their plants to India for the simple fact they'll get more return on their sales if produced there, seems like pretty basic business to me there. Perhaps Harley were just taking advantage of an opportunity to lower production costs and increase revenue even further. The intermingling of business and politics is a pretty interesting thing.

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not Trump bashing here either, I just want to know, ideally from someone with a better understanding of conservative economics than I, what kind of thought process is behind tariffs that even the GOP don't support. Maybe some of the Trump supporters could enlighten me on this? It just seems weird to me.

As for why the GOP (AND the US Chamber of Commerce) is fighting against this, it is because they have been co-opted by big business. Profit margins are higher for the multi-nationals the way that things currently are, and the multi-nationals own their asses.

Gry

As for why the GOP (AND the US Chamber of Commerce) is fighting against this, it is because they have been co-opted by big business. Profit margins are higher for the multi-nationals the way that things currently are, and the multi-nationals own their asses.
The US Chamber of Commerce is the very essence of big business.

Brother Nature

Thanks Rives, can't give you any more rep, but cheers. On a personal level I don't really like Trump, but on a political level I find him fascinating. I truly think he's going to be one of the more historically significant presidents (think about that statement before you let it enrage you) in the future. Philosophically I'm an Anarchist and don't believe in systems of control and repression, which I feel is what the US (and most others) government has become. The ideals of our forefathers were lost long ago to greed and corruption.

I actually view people involved in and enraptured by the government as victims of a system that few have learned to manipulate to their own benefit. I don't know if I can go as far as believing there are single shadow entities pulling the puppet strings behind the scenes to their own agendas, but there are definitely people who understand better than the vast majority of humanity how to get what they want and how to use these systems of control to gain that. I think what we're seeing here with Trump is a rejection of these systems (though I can't tell if it's intentional or just a fluke) and an awareness of these systems of control by the masses. I'd like to think this will lead to a change in the perception of government and Americas Imperialistic ways worldwide. If we're looking at the long picture, I'd have to say Trump seems to be good for America, maybe not immediately, but in the long run. So instead of arguing and bickering with each other lets smoke an Orange Haired bud together and have a good debate.

Also, decorum rhymes with forum. That is neat.

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Rives, can't give you any more rep, but cheers. On a personal level I don't really like Trump, but on a political level I find him fascinating. I truly think he's going to be one of the more historically significant presidents (think about that statement before you let it enrage you) in the future. Philosophically I'm an Anarchist and don't believe in systems of control and repression, which I feel is what the US (and most others) government has become. The ideals of our forefathers were lost long ago to greed and corruption.

I actually view people involved in and enraptured by the government as victims of a system that few have learned to manipulate to their own benefit. I don't know if I can go as far as believing there are single shadow entities pulling the puppet strings behind the scenes to their own agendas, but there are definitely people who understand better than the vast majority of humanity how to get what they want and how to use these systems of control to gain that. I think what we're seeing here with Trump is a rejection of these systems (though I can't tell if it's intentional or just a fluke) and an awareness of these systems of control by the masses. I'd like to think this will lead to a change in the perception of government and Americas Imperialistic ways worldwide. If we're looking at the long picture, I'd have to say Trump seems to be good for America, maybe not immediately, but in the long run. So instead of arguing and bickering with each other lets smoke an Orange Haired bud together and have a good debate.

Also, decorum rhymes with forum. That is neat.

Trump is an abrasive prick and he consistently shoots himself in the foot as a result of shooting from the hip when he reacts. He is also the first President that we have had since Kennedy that understands business, and coming from a business background, he really doesn't give a fuck how he is perceived - he wants, and is getting, results.

Works for me.

Not really. They're just quietly moving factories to Mexico.

Nope. NAFTA is all but dead, and that is going to eliminate the advantage that they would have had. Also, AMLO is virtually a sure bet to be elected, and almost as certain of a bet to nationalize foreign-owned factories.

Gry

What is happening to America? I expect this sort of crap in Australia. We've seen the exit of just about all our manufacturing industry off shore. Purely because our government doesn't see the value in investing in and protecting local jobs. I never expected to see this in America. Traditionally you have always valued your local manufacturing industry. GM and Ford must be shaking in their boots.

The reply I would give is to say that those with money and power did not like the direction this country was going, so they took it upon themselves to see it changed. For detail, you can look up "The Powell Manifesto, or Memo."

Time spent with the document, may leave you feeling like many of the same issues are still with us today.

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "AMLO is virtually a sure bet to be elected, and almost as certain of a bet to nationalize foreign-owned factories."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recall having read he finished very close or possibly better than that in the past two elections, and to add to the image, he had declined the offer of round the clock security.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

vta

Veteran
Trump is an abrasive prick and he consistently shoots himself in the foot as a result of shooting from the hip when he reacts. He is also the first President that we have had since Kennedy that understands business, and coming from a business background, he really doesn't give a fuck how he is perceived - he wants, and is getting, results.

Works for me.

And most of America.

vta

Veteran
The Trump effect is real...

review_2x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts