What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Discovering Weed with Real Potency

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm a little concerned about the potency of today's weed.

I like all strong weed, but seem to be coming up short lately.

Is this a trend? I mean this past year growing has been a real disappointment. Most of my seed stash has now become suspect.

Everything else including smells and flavors is of little value to me if the weed does not do the job. "Functional weed" = not worth it.

I look back fondly on weed that I had in the early '90's.

So, please share with me the strongest weed that you have tried in the past.

What is your opinion? Do you know of some real weed?

Thanks!

RF

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I never have an issue unless it's a total shwag pheno.

Some OTM I grew once wasn't the most potent but it looked awesome, that's probably the weakest I have had. I had a few pheno's of MNS NL5hz that were total trash too.

I try to enjoy each herb for it's unique characteristics but this may not please a person that just wants to get blasted.

I find most strains to be about equal in "potency" I gauge it by smoking a half a .8 joint. If half a joint gets me to where I need to be then that's potent enough, if 1/4 of a joint gets me roasted then that's what I consider extremely potent.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
After thinking about it I think this one ranks in extreme potency.
It's cobcoops chem91 x sfv/appalacia, that doesn't really help you out because they are not available.

I'll also throw out the stereotypical response and say og's, chems and sours and combinations thereof generally reign supreme in sheer potency, tho not necessarily my favorite type of high all the time.

Cannavore

Veteran
Dutch strains/genetics are all but obsolete in my eyes. For every one good strain coming out of Europe, there's 9 more american strains that blow the doors off that.

Uptown Haze is still the best weed I've ever smoked and the last time I had it was a decade ago.

The Chem families do me in every time as well as funky afghani types.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Chimera says he is doing a Uptown Haze strain or cross here soon.

Real speedy and trippy I take it?

Cannavore

Veteran
^^ Chimera says he is doing a Uptown Haze strain or cross here soon.

Real speedy and trippy I take it?

Chimera's is bagseed uptown. They're on a Canadian bank already fwiw.

Uptown Haze is the strongest weed I've ever had the pleasure of smoking, its up and psychedelic but also narcotic. The stench is unforgettable. Its nothing pretty to look at but it'll fuck you up like no other. To the point where people swear its laced.

I admit there's probably some nostalgia attached to that plant but its the real deal.

Edit:

This Google pic of the uptown is just like I remember it except the stuff I used to get looked slightly better and came in vials. Once that vial was cracked the entire area stunkkkkkkk.

homegrownnychaze.jpg

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Uptown Haze is the strongest weed I've ever had the pleasure of smoking, its up and psychedelic but also narcotic. The stench is unforgettable. Its nothing pretty to look at but it'll fuck you up like no other. To the point where people swear its laced.

I admit there's probably some nostalgia attached to that plant but its the real deal.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw those. Love the place. Real honest people.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have a much higher tolerance now then you did back then. We defiantly had good strong bud way back in the day. I find more strains I don't like then I do these days. I grow a lot of seeds. I have only found 1 super good elite plant in 6 years.

I have been enjoying the GG#4$ this last year. This cross was a complete mistake...

idiit

Veteran
I'm a little concerned about the potency of today's weed.

I like all strong weed, but seem to be coming up short lately.

Is this a trend? I mean this past year growing has been a real disappointment. Most of my seed stash has now become suspect.

Everything else including smells and flavors is of little value to me if the weed does not do the job. "Functional weed" = not worth it.

I look back fondly on weed that I had in the early '90's.

So, please share with me the strongest weed that you have tried in the past.

What is your opinion? Do you know of some real weed?

Thanks!

RF

we are in the same church, same choir. :)

the only ppl i see posting about tolerence build up and the new strains being so super potent are under 55 years old. almost every geezer ( aprox. 60 yrs old/older) unequivically states the old skool '60's, 70's early 80's weed is unsurpassed re potency, high effects, duration of high and lack of tolerence build up.

the answer is properly preserved old skool landraces.

they are rare, hard to source and don't have the bag appeal of indoor.

bushweed

Veteran
Dutch strains/genetics are all but obsolete in my eyes. For every one good strain coming out of Europe, there's 9 more american strains that blow the doors off that.

America's population is 20 times Holland's, which according to your maths (9 more american strains for every good Dutch one) means that the quality of American cannabis is less that half as good as Dutch. That's not gonna be a popular statistic....why you shooting down the stars and stripes?

Uptown Haze is still the best weed I've ever smoked and the last time I had it was a decade ago.

The Chem families do me in every time as well as funky afghani types.

You mean Skunk types?

C

Edit:

This Google pic of the uptown is just like I remember it except the stuff I used to get looked slightly better and came in vials. Once that vial was cracked the entire area stunkkkkkkk.

And rhymes with Skunk, again. Who knows? You might be right, maybe uptown haze is Skunk, here's the story of when Skunk first went uptown in NY, and blew the doors off that market...
View Image

In 1978 I made friends with a few Rastas from Gold Street in Kingston. Most of the time that I spent in Jamaica back then was on the beach side at Ozzie’s Shack in Negril, up in the hills above Lucea, or backwoods in Gold Hill between Sav La Mar and Negril. Somehow one of my contacts in Negril hooked me up with Kingston friends who in turn told me about their relative in Brooklyn. The NY guy was a mid-level Ganjaman who had been in that area since the early 1970’s.

I had always wanted to expand to the Big Apple because the higher prices for higher quality back East would make it worth the trouble of getting it across the US…and then some. This concept held true for awhile until a few years later when the highway checkpoints set up in New Mexico and the increased profiling by Arizona Highway Patrol proved otherwise. We finally had a reliable Tucson connection for high-end Mexican sinsemilla who also liked the sound of going East and was willing to front decent-sized loads in the 150-250 pound range. Our Arizona homegrown under the Madjag label was in limited supply and sold out quickly right here at home shortly after harvest. It wasn’t greed as much as it was necessity that lead us to fine sensi from south of our border and we soon branched into Mexican imports carefully once this crazy Tucson connection fell into our laps via a close, close friend.

The Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn is home to a large Caribbean immigrant culture that includes Trinidadians, Haitians, Bahamians, and especially Jamaicans. It was once a quaint Dutch ethnic neighborhood full of fine Brownstone apartments and flats that over decades, like many other the traditional borough neighborhoods, mutated into something entirely different. In1980 the bustling NY herb business was king and the looming epidemic of crack cocaine for commoners was still on the horizon, left to Manhattanites and high-end borough boys in the know.

View Image

After a fairly long getting-to-know-you period, my new Bed Stuy friends started buying up every bud of Mexican Sinse we could get their hands on. This smoke was as good if not better than their legendary Lamb’s Bread that never quite lived up to its name, at least the commercial quantities that hit NY streets. A nice load of spicy Oaxacan or some potent Guerrero Gold held them captive and put them at the top of their marketplace. People beat down their doors for more. We were modest in our goals and kept small and reasonable in our deliveries. Let’s just say we had cross-country shipping for our modest business level down to a fine science. Our cover never failed even when challenged closely a few times by the man. No method is bulletproof, they only seem that way until the first failure, yet we never hit that failure and our Rasta pipeline continued for 4 or 5 years.

An interesting aspect of working in Bed Stuy was that white boys stuck out like a sore thumb. Even more obvious was seeing a tall Dreadlock walking together with a white guy. Can you say “Business”? We worked at night as much as possible, connecting at a little basement flat that served as the shop for small deals up to ½ pound. It was in this stash flat not far from Nostrand Boulevard that I spent a lot of time watching customers come and go, mumbling that beautiful Jamaican patois through a crack in the door and then stepping in when cleared for action. My Rasta friends didn’t do business with American blacks who they called Yankee Boys. Some barrier there just kept the two apart. I believe it was concerned with ethnic loyalty and the concept that if a man went down and he was a Jamaican he wouldn’t spill on the rest of the JA crew. Just as well I suppose. In all the moments I witnessed of buyers coming and going I saw only Caribbean men spending dollars with my Rasta crew. The meetings were brief, quiet, and peaceful. Shots rang out on rare occasions some nights, however they were always from down the street. Packing heavy hardware was essential for working in the shop, but using it onsite was never an option unless it was in response to an all out attack or rip-off attempt. Would that be likely with a dreadie opening the door with a Mac 9 in his hand?

It was a warm evening when I stopped by Satta’s flat. The shop near Nostrand was extra busy and Mr. S wanted me to stop a different flat with Ricky to discuss the homegrown I had been telling him about. He was aware of the reputation of domestic super herb, however he personally had never tested any. Curiosity was flying high this night after my repeated mentions of homegrown and Mr. S just had to find out. Even his Lieutenant Ricky laughed when I pulled out a skinny pin joint made from a paper torn lengthwise…a ½ paper filled with tiny broken bud pieces lined up and crammed into a straight line. I, too, was laughing for a different reason knowing full well what laid ahead. I was sure he would be devastated like so many other experienced smoke fiends had been before upon trying this new and truly powerful herb from the expanded genetics of Haze, Skunk, and Afghani strains.

Mr. S took the second long pull after my startup toke. He saw how long and intensely I was pulling on the pinner and did the same perfectly. I reached for the joint before he could finish laughing and take his second hit. I wanted him to truly take the tour and evaluate firsthand what one toke could do. It was probably only seconds, but it seemed like a minute or two later that he got a bit strange and was mumbling to Ricky in that enchanting Kingston patois. Suddenly we were going. I barely grabbed my coat and boomed out the door with Rick. We had been banished.

The next day Mr. S called and made it known that we had to come over immediately. Right now, seen. Once inside his tidy, St. James Place brownstone flat with plastic-covered furniture and Jamaican wood art, I began an uncomfortable exchange with him about how and why I had spiked him. He knew that the pin needle had LSD in it and that he had been tripping. After he had quickly sent us out and locked the doors, he had to run in place for 20 minutes, maybe longer, merely to regain his equilibrium and focus. Everything had gone wacky and he just didn’t see a way back. Luckily his body took over and saved the day (night).

I can speak very plainly and neutrally when needed. I adopt a “science guy” persona and can peacefully describe a situation in a way that will reach most people, I just have to be patient and methodical: say the truth in metered chunks that make sense. I did this for Mr. S and he knew that I was right on. I felt him release as I continued my explanation. He was a real devil when it came to testing people. For instance, he once paid us an extra 2 grand for a load and did so intentionally just to see if we’d report his “mistake”. Slowly his brain cramps came down enough for him to smile, laugh, and start jabbering a mile a minute about how fucking incredible this weed was and how nobody, nobody! in his posse had any idea how powerful it was gonna be. Customers would be in his hand and at his command, yes I. Oh what a wonderful land Brooklyn was. And praise be to the Arizona guys for, in this case, the venerable Sam S and RCC Afghani #1. That good herb was Jah Mighty.

The most top shelf we would bring along with our primary Mexi Sensi load was perhaps 3-5 pounds of local stash weed. Mr. S would have bought 50 pounds on the spot each time we visited had his customers been experienced with this level of quality herb. They needed some time to adjust and eventually lust for it because they had never toked anything like it. OK, maybe a few close calls with some Colombo, but otherwise this herb wiped everyone out on their first smoke or two unlike any other smoke. Fortunately it became a speedy journey as friends turned on friends and the whole scene was Irey within a few months. He had created a loyal market, a hungry market. When our stock of Afghani#1 or Skunk#1 was exhausted we switched to a friend’s friend’s Arivaca brand. Even buying another grower’s yield our AZ cost was quite reasonable actually and we could double our money back east with no complaints. We had dreamed this dream into existence and loved every minute. I’m sure you who have been in a similar situation remember the satisfaction. Not big ego, but righteous rewards.

We were growers at heart who had reached out and found a new audience. Nothing like being well-paid for your risks and still being able to remember what mattered most in your heart. Money came and went just like the seasons. We’d grow beneath the hot cliffs and under the intense sun of our canyon. Looking up now and then we’d realize that eventually even the years rolled by. Still, money or not, we had the life and it shared a special rhythm and beauty with us. We learned and never forgot.

For every Dutch skunk, there's 9 American skunks more, but there's 20 times more Americans, so each Dutchmen has two skunks for your one
laughing.gif

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Not to be a douche but skunk was an American strain before it went to Adam, so was haze, so was Northern Lights, so was Blueberry, Bubblegum, Sour Diesel, OG Kush, chemdawg etc....

The Netherlands became the seed capital because they had the lax laws that allowed them to produce and recreate the popular strains in seed form that were found elsewhere.

For instance when Ben Dronkers discovered the loop hole that allowed many plants to be grown for seed production under Dutch laws.

The Dutch are breeders by nature, they are better at actual breeding, and stabilizing strains. USA is better at creating the P1's, but as you know strains made in USA are mostly "clone only". The Dutch are the ones that have created some of the most popular stable family lines.

American's tend to take the 1x1 breeding approach and with the exception of a few do not have the interest in stabilizing anything.

This is why I consider more of the older guys in the game like DJ Short, Tom Hill, Sam S, Ben Dronkers, Simon from Serious to be actual breeders. They took things beyond F1 and made more stable uniform strains out of raw materials.

Cannavore

Veteran
America's population is 20 times Holland's, which according to your maths (9 more american strains for every good Dutch one) means that the quality of American cannabis is less that half as good as Dutch. That's not gonna be a popular statistic....why you shooting down the stars and stripes?

You mean Skunk types?

And rhymes with Skunk, again. Who knows? You might be right, maybe uptown haze is Skunk, here's the story of when Skunk first went uptown in NY, and blew the doors off that market...

For every Dutch skunk, there's 9 American skunks more, but there's 20 times more Americans, so each Dutchmen has two skunks for your onehttps://www.icmag.com/ic/images/smilies/laughing.gif

All I meant is I wouldn't buy from a dutch or European seed company at all. Especially when they're all working with american elites now a days (or lying by saying they do).
The strains of the 90's are all but watered down or don't hold a candle to what's available today IMO.

The chems probably have skunk in them but no one really knows. And personally I think the "RKS" and real skunk type odors originate from Afghani genetics.

I highly doubt uptown haze aka nyc haze aka church aka frankies aka piff comes from skunk. It has zero in common with skunk in effects and smells. My guess is its one of the last unadulterated haze or haze hybrids left around.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I think it has to do with the type of high. Diesel is good but I build up a tolerance quickly. A lot of these poly hybrid 30% thc strains have a boring half confused half sleepy stone that doesn't do it for me either. The Grape Stomper is very potent strain, its a great hybrid, but it still can't touch a good sativa or heavy indica. Or a hybrid like NL5/Haze, G13/Haze, Jack, Hazes etc. Potency to me is like a good Vietnamese Black, Malawai, Colombians satavias. Find the right BB pheno. I once smoked some Durban grown by a chick that was acid like.
Sorry rambling, to me its the type of high that I judge potency. Sure I bet GG#4 will get you blasted but like the gentleman above stated, you won't be running in place! Now give me some Malawai properly grown, burning rubber smelling evil potency no ceiling stuff and ID be puffing diesel just to come down :D
Even a carefully selected Skunk #1 can be a more "potent" high for me than some of the new polys. The PPP in my album is more potent than any other strains I run, other than cotton candy. If judging by inebriation .

Just my take!
Best
Les

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need the 4 traits to keep any plant, I don't care how strong it is. If it tsate bad I wont smoke it. She has to have

Very Strong smell
very good taste
Very Potent
yields good ...

There have been plenty of strains I culled because 1 was missing. Potency is subjective.. What I like may not be what anyone likes.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
After thinking about it I think this one ranks in extreme potency.
It's cobcoops chem91 x sfv/appalacia, that doesn't really help you out because they are not available.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52145&pictureid=1217182&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I'll also throw out the stereotypical response and say og's, chems and sours and combinations thereof generally reign supreme in sheer potency, tho not necessarily my favorite type of high all the time.

I had a bunch of his gear, but they all got cut during veg due to a security issue. Heartbreaking. Everything turned out fine thankfully, but it won't bring the plants back.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Edit:

View Image

That looks like the stuff I got in the early '90s!

Obviously it's not the same, but it looks like it.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have a much higher tolerance now then you did back then. We defiantly had good strong bud way back in the day. I find more strains I don't like then I do these days. I grow a lot of seeds. I have only found 1 super good elite plant in 6 years.

I have been enjoying the GG#4$ this last year. This cross was a complete mistake...

I've only heard of the GG#3. Is #4 from Smoke A lot too?

I took a month off before I tried my last crop.