What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hopefully, No More Pentane and/or Hexane Explosions or Poisoning

troutman

Seed Whore
No More Pentane and/or Hexane Explosions or Poisoning

I was doing some reviewing of my laboratory equipment and found a cool way for almost
99.99% of everyone, but the careless from blowing themselves up while distilling some
solvents like pentane and hexane. This will only work with solvents which have density
less than water and float on top of it.

I have carefully distilled n-hexane with an all glass laboratory still with ptfe joint sleeves
indoors with no problems. Because I did my research and proceeded with care knowing
the risks involved. Sadly a lot of people doing BHO of all things don't do any researching
and wonder why things go wrong when they do.

Anyways, I though that an essential oil/water separator like I have attached to the end
of a condenser in a distilling apparatus like in the pic below would 99.99% avoid any
solvent vapors from entering the atmosphere where most problems occur.

i.e Explosions or Poisoning

Any uncondensed pentane or hexane vapor that escapes the condenser that touches
the water in the water/oil separator will be instantly be converted to liquid and float on
top like in this image below where essential oils in yellow is located with water below it.

All a person as to do is carefully empty the liquid solvent from time to time in the
water/oil separator and add water to prime it and restart the distillation process.

BTW: Play safe and pay attention when using flammable solvents as anything can go wrong. :tiphat:

EssentialStillReceiver.jpg

troutman

Seed Whore
Don't try what I posted above with butane.

Butane will collect over water. But it will not turn into a liquid at room temperature.

In the following video a science teacher will collect butane over water and show you some of it's properties.

Collecting Butane Over Water

M

metsäkana

so with hexane people make safer products and thats why its so popular around the globe

troutman

Seed Whore
Limonene is a better alternative to avoid poisoning and explosions.. similar in polarity to hexane and heptane..

Have you used Limonene yourself to make an extract?

BTW: This thread was about safety using solvent like Pentane and Hexane. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts