What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kids Can't Tell Time Anymore On Analog Clocks!

hoki2test

Veteran
Schools in England are removing analog clocks from classrooms because students can't tell time with them since they only understand digital clocks. While this may be shocking – Jimmy had the feeling that we might have the same problem here. So we went out on the street to ask kids if they know what time it is and these are our very unscientific findings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIe2auW9EMI

[YOUTUBEIF]PIe2auW9EMI[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Old People Still Hang Time On Wall And Wait In Bank Line Up To Pay Bills"

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

watching a documentary on Hiroshima and interviews were given on the streets of Japan to young people, one question: "What historic event happened in Hiroshima on Aug. 6th 1945?"

unless it was edited out for effect, none had the correct answer.......

reminds me of the saying about repeating history if we don't learn from it.

Last edited:

Gry

Have heard it said that watches , are no longer as popular with young people as they had been.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Have heard it said that watches , are no longer as popular with young people as they had been.

i'm hardly young, but have ALWAYS hated wristwatches. if i need to know what time it is, that means i have to do something that i don't WANT to do...like go to work.:moon: if it is something that i WANT to do, i will show up early with no watch needed...like go fishing/hunting/burn one/eat. :woohoo:

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm the youngin in my group.30.and I admire a good watch.surely you realize how complicated a good Swiss watch is.its truely a masterpiece of art.there's a reason they cost 10s of thousands of dollars.all that said,too rich for my blood.I just have a cheap $600 Swiss Army watch with an expensive leather military band.I dont care what people say.a good watch is a valuable tool.

As for these dumb kids well,they are doomed

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've been using analog clocks for decades, and I STILL have to take a few seconds to figure out what time it is. I so much prefer digital for this reason. lol

My kid has the same problem. They know how to read an analog, it just takes longer and is annoying. ;)
Save

G

Gr33nSanta

Young people can't do mental math either. Not even 25÷2. I need my paper, what??? LOL

Old people can't even use a basic GUI wtf

Ask anyone over 30 what a for loop is, all you get is blank faces

If/else forgot about it, don't even try

How does my printer work?

Is it plugged in?

I'm tired of old people thinking that cause they're older that they're smarter. If anything they're just more aware how much they don't know. Which is a lot

djonkoman

Veteran

that's logical though. everyone has a smartphone in their pocket, and it tells the time too. then why bother having something around your wrist to be able to tell the time a few seconds faster?

personally I find it very annoying to have anything around my wrist, I can stand festival-bracelets for a few days, but those are very light and I just need them for a few days anyway.
did have a pocketwatch for a while as a kid, but those are even more obsolete if you're carryoing a phone.

and the times I don't have my phone with me, are the times I don't care about knowing the time anyway(and I could still just ask someone around me, since they're all carrying a phone too. and my usual bar has a clock on the wall too).

btw, under 30 and I have no idea what a for loop is either. googled it, but it's still gibberish.

green404

Worked on a new school being built the other year. They installed clocks with hands in every room, the clocks were also wired to a satellite time keeper so the keep the same time to the sec.

It made me think about how they put clocks in the front of all class rooms, Is it to train the youth to be controlled by time ? and by the people that will buy your time ?

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I wear a Rolex..

I wear a Rolex..

yeah, unless we're talking $1000 yadda yadda yadda "ALL my friends have one......."

I wear a Rolex that my wife gave me more than 20 years ago. It’s a GMT-MASTER II, worth more than it costs.

You need to wear these daily as they are self winding.

Kinda like a Porsche, you get what you pay for. :party:

MrBungle

what was that long hand "math" they were shoving down kids throats a few years back.... I bet that has something to do with it....:moon:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I've lived my whole life based on the time on my wristwatch. Starting with my 1955 Mickey Mouse watch.
(quess what? it's not waterproof)

I always admired Mister Spock. Has a clock in his head. Live long & prosper.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

my stepbrother's gf back in the '70s was a sweet little hippy chick Vicky, one day he & Vicky come walking into the warehouse I managed w/a purpose, she had a VERY nice Bulova digital watch for sale, hot.

She wanted $25 and I believe the watch was $150, this was known as the 'Drivers N7' and so wtf, I was driving a nice MB 250SL at the time, it fit my budget so I grabbed it.

3eFUAAL.jpg

this was early digital, great looking, everyone who saw it seemed to admire it, especially when they saw it was a Bulova, Bulova was considered somewhat upscale, not as nice as the Tissot or Omega I owned, but nice & different.......