What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you accurately calculate mound size

I know I dumped roughly 2 yards of soil onto each approximately 100 gallon hole. Last year I estimated the amount to be 500 gallons @ each site

They're roughly 6'x6' and 18 inches deep from the hole.

Am I right in assuming the approximate sq ft of each mound to be 22.5 or am I missing something here?

Avenger

Veteran
6' x 6' = 36 square feet

18 inches= 1.5 feet

6' x 6' x 1.5' = 54 cubic feet

3' x'3' x 3' = 27 cubic feet or one cubic yard

54 cubic feet = 2 cubic yards

I understand cubic feet that makes way more sense what I dont understand is why I am being given amendments in sq ft if they need to be applied in cubic ft. Is there some trick here that I am missing,

the other option is lbs to acre and that is even more confusing

edit so I just found this

1 lb./acre 1 ounce/605 sq. yd

Even this is squared though

Avenger

Veteran
My Assumption, not having access to ask the actual lab that gave the recommendations, is that they are referring to an acre furrow slice of soil. This is a volume of soil that is equal to one acre in area by 6.7" deep or 24,394 cubic feet of soil(903.59 cubic yards).

The lab assumes that an acre furrow slice weighs 2 million pounds(1.33 grams per cubic cm), so to get pounds per acre, they simply multiple their ppm results from the extractions by two and call it pounds per acre.

but I assume you know what assuming does for us, right?

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/turf/extension/factsheets/acre-furrow-slice

Right thanks I hear you on not making assumptions its hard for someone who doesnt have a mathematical mind.

Was I right about the bulk density division of cutting amendment numbers by 40% based off of wet/dry weight?

Latest posts

Latest posts