What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this good soil?

-.black.-

So I should just add alittle bit of perlite? And my other question was do I have to add water based ferts or can I stick with straight water throughout the flower cycle.

master shake

That seems like a too strong of a mix, as others have said. Unless your strains are heavy feeders, they will probably burn and stunt growth.

Try happy frog only with the POM and perlite; that will be more than enough N and you may wish to use a little high P guano later on. If you want to avoid liquid ferts, topdress with some time release P guano or phosphate and water with only molasses for the whole cycle.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Hi Black, glad I could help. Where to start . . .

Well now I don't know who to trust. LOL Jk

@etinarcadiaego

Thanks for sharing your recipe, I think i'm gonna try it. Could you tell me what style of growing you are doing(ScrOG,SoG,etc.) and what kind of lighting you have?

This grow I'm just letting em grow at will. I trimmed the buds and little branches (less that 1/8th of an inch in diameter) that were 21" below the lights, and I topped once 4 weeks in to veg.

I vegged outdoors for about 5 weeks, then indoors under a 400W MH for 3, weeks, then flowered under a 400 watt HPS (Horti bulb with Lumatek ballast). I use an air-cooled reflector and keep the tops of the buds about 2 1/2 inches below the glass on the reflector, so their getting as much light under my 400 as many people give them under a 600 or 1000W because of how close I can keep the plants. I haven't had any temp or light-bleaching issues, as my probe is also 2 1/2" beneath the light, and my temps NEVER exceed 77F.

If I were to use the mix that etinarcadiaego described:

4 parts soil (9.6 dry gallons soil or 1.5 ft³ - one bag of soil)

1 1/2 parts perlite (3.6 dry gallons or 0.56 ft³ perlite)

2 parts castings (4.8 dry gallons or .75 ft³ castings)

(the soil being fox farm ocean forest)

would I need to supplement by adding ferts in my water. Or would that be all the nutrition i would need and just feed water.

No, depending on the plants you may need/want to supplement some ferts, to be honest your plants will tell you what the need when they need it, but it's a good idea to have SOMETHING on hand that you can feed with if a deficiency start to show up. I used Bio-Bizz Grow (didn't use the Grow this time tho), Fish-Mix (GREAT STUFF) and Bio-Bloom (which is Molasses and Sea-Kelp I think).

Mine needed added N in veg, and added potassium and phosphorus in flower, but the Bio-Bizz nutes handled both of those deficiencies without burning the plants AT ALL. I know others here use them all well, check with Verdant Green too. Bio-Bizz nutrients are organic (OMRI listed) and very forgiving, you really won't burn your plants with this stuff unless you go way overboard . . .

imo, you dont need any ewc with FFOF, its plenty rich enough

I respectfully disagree with this comment, but to each his own. FF:OF is rich but gets depleted faster than you would think depending on container size, and Fox Farm makes no guarantee on the amount of EWC in each bag, and I'd rather add it into the soil than into my waterings.

In my experience AND from what I've read EWC won't burn your plants, I've vegged plants in pure EWC before, no added soil or perlite at all, and had no problems. EWC reduces your plants requirements for Nitrogen also, so again you stand to lose nothing by adding EWC into the soil and it helps feed the microherd as well I believe, so I advise adding extra since it's very cheap stuff. I bought mine on Ebay . . .

That seems like a too strong of a mix, as others have said. Unless your strains are heavy feeders, they will probably burn and stunt growth.

I'm not sure what Master Shake is referring to in the mix that could burn or stunt growth, but again EWC won't burn your plants. I've done 2 grows using this mix, and I got the mix from my best friend who has done about 3 1/2 years of grows in this exact mix of numerous strains and never once had a burned or stunted plant. I have ACTUALLY grown plants in PURE EWC with no problems. Some have said FF:OF is too hot on it's own, but adding some lime and EWC into the mix really helps break it up.

Try happy frog only with the POM and perlite; that will be more than enough N and you may wish to use a little high P guano later on. If you want to avoid liquid ferts, topdress with some time release P guano or phosphate and water with only molasses for the whole cycle

I know I mentioned this elsewhere but I think Happy Frog is just a blend of FF:OF and FF:LW. Guano takes a LONG time to break down, so most suggest either making a tea with it, or adding it into your mix and letting it "sit" for a couple months before using it.

Everyone here has a different opinion on what works best, and no one is right or wrong as more than one soil combo will produce good results. Just don't believe everything you read and take it all with a grain of salt. In the end experience will show you the path that's right for you!

maryjohn

Veteran
Etina, the caveat with ewc is that too much will make your soil too heavy and sticky. See ganja din's recomendations.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
So I should just add alittle bit of perlite? And my other question was do I have to add water based ferts or can I stick with straight water throughout the flower cycle.

Yup. You probably won't need to feed them anything in veg unless its a long one. In flower you will need some liquid ferts.

In the past i've cut my FFOF about 2 parts OF to 1 part perlite.
I also added a tad bit of dolomite lime.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
hmm....

hmm....

I've used OF and/or HF for years, I jus add 30% perlite, that's it...... Even if you were to add the 5-8-4 it won't last all the way through the 2 month flowering cycle and you'd end up having to feed em any way. I use it on my outdoor garden and bud. It will feed fera a month er so and then you have to reapply or things will visably slow down.

There are some good organic and organic based bottled nutes that are very easy to use and work great. A lot of folks like Pure Blend Pro for soil, but I have to tell you ( before someone shits their fucking panties ) it's not all organic by the very definition, there is a small amount of mineral salt in it.

I'd like to point out to the feller with the pictures, please don't be offended because I mean -no- disrespect at all, but those plants show signs of too much N. The color is -very- dark green and the leaf tips are burnt and on the verge of having the dreaded N claw. Please, don't take it the wrong way I'm jus trying to help.

Anyhoo, food for thought, hope it helps. Take care.... BC

Last edited:

maryjohn

Veteran
How can you tell the color from a photo online?

Just asking - in my experience color does not reproduce faithfully from amateur photo to the web.

master shake

I was just thinking that was too much N for a flowering mix, like he indicated...In my experience OF has given me plants with slower/smaller growth than happyfrog. But maybe I've been growing lighter feeding strains. Happyfrog is not a mix of ocean forest, ocean forest has crab meal and other shit in it that happy frog doesn't have. HF does have some guano and fungi maybe kelp also but that was usually good enough for me the way I transplant. Also I think the guano in the foxfarm soils are already broken down some since they do make it in batches and it gets plenty of rest.

I know ewc won't burn and it would be a good idea to add the mix. Sorry if I sounded like I was indicating it would burn...

-.black.-

Thank you everyone for the info, i still haven't decided what the final mix will be but i think i'm all set. I'm thinking about only adding perlite. to the fox ocean forest. Then watering with a compost tea. Now i just have to read up into that. If i were feeding them compost tea on top of the ocean forest, wha else do you think i would have to add. for flowering that is. can i mix something into the tea to give it alittle extra boost for flowering without going overboard with whats already in the soil?

(sorry to ask so many questions)

i've been doing resesarch but i still need some input from ppl with experience.

-.black.-

I'm reading up and it seems like using a compost tea on top of ocean forest would be way to much N. Since i'm not going to be vegging that long. I was wondering if anyone thought using the fox farm happy frog mixed with perlite instead would be better. And then feed with compost tea. I was also thinking about getting the peace of mind bat guano(0-5-0) And if I could add that to the tea that would be great. But again. I don't want to overdo anything. and to anyonethat takes the time to help me out, I want to say again thank you. I'd be lost without people like you. I just want to make sure I have a good idea of what's best to use before i go and make mistakes and waste time and money.

maryjohn

Veteran
Compost tea is not a significant source of available N. It is a microbial mixture meant to restore balance and nutrient cycling to your soil. It can be used any time regardless of fertilizer regimen or richness of the soil.

-.black.-

Ok so for anyone that still wants to offer me some advice, I'm pretty confident that my final recipe will be:

1 bag of fox farm ocean forest and 1 bag of fox farm happy frog mixed. Now before I add any extra perlite. I'm gonna measure out how much of this i will actually be using to fill my pots. Since if I calculated right, I should have extra soil before I even add the perlite. So i'm gonna take whatever is left over and use to make tea out of.

That's where I wanted to ask someone a question. Even though i'm not using straight compost for my compost tea. Would using these 2 potting soils mixed do the same thing?
I ask because both bags have composted forest humus and earthworm castings. On top of the bat guano fish and crab meal, etc. So would that work as a tea? Because if it does then I'm going to probably feed them that once a week. And foilar spray once a week. Everything else will be straight water.

maryjohn

Veteran
How are you going to fix your soil using your soil?

The percentage of compost in there is too low to make tea. You want straight up compost. Preferably fresh.

-.black.-

K i was just asking. Just trying to figure out what I'm going to do. LOL I was hoping it would work so that I could save money. But if I have to dish out for some compost then that's what I'm going to have to do. Regardless of that though, if I just don't do the whole compost tea then I'm fine with that to. But I really wanted to try using it. Because it's supposed to be greatly beneficial.

maryjohn

Veteran
can I convince you to start a worm bin? it will take some time, but eventually you will have a decent supply of EWC - more than enough for a micro grow. However depending on how much work you want to put in it could take a while. I don't grind my food scraps, so it is quite slow. I make up for my laziness with multiple bins.