What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have Humans Lost The Drive To Care For Themselves?

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Why is it we're encouraged to know ourselves mentally, but not to know our bodies?
I'm well-aware there's certain things only folks with extensive knowledge can help out with, but the simple shit, like flus, colds---Why is it frowned upon & discouraged to learn to treat your own ills? Why mock those who do that?
Even though the natural healthcare routes are being traversed more and more frequently these days, folks still seem to feel the need to look down their noses disapprovingly at "self-treaters." Why? Since when is taking care of yourself all-around a bad thing?
Why are we accepting the push to stop taking care of ourselves, to let others do it? Is it collective laziness? Is it the bleating sheep mentality?
Why do we allow medicines to be pushed when their side effects are worse than the ill(s) they treat? Why don't we question this? Why don't we reject this?
Why are we so willing to turn ourselves and the care of such, our entire sense of self from mental aspects to health, over to complete strangers who know nothing of us on any level?? Do we have a collective unconcious need to be lead around by the proverbial reigns?

Have humans lost all sense of self-sufficiency?

Sorry, that's a little hard to put into words, but I hope you get the gist of it.....

Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.
--Voltaire

Medicine is a collection of uncertain prescriptions, the results of which, taken collectively, are more fatal than useful to mankind.
--Napoleon Bonaparte

Modern medicine is a negation of health. It isn't organized to serve human health, but only itself, as an institution. It makes more people sick than it heals.
--Ivan Illich

There are three subjects on which the knowledge of the medical profession in general is woefully weak; they are manners, morals, and medicine.
--Gerald F. Lieberman

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Yeah, people are mostly just damn lazy, mostly. It is pathetic is what it is. They would rather trust a pill than a root or herb.
I also find it rather sad that most of the people I have met in my life, would die within a few weeks of living off the land, if they had to. Stick them in the woods with nothing but a knife and they would starve.
But any 10 year old can show you how to hook up your computer, get the Playstation working, and show you how to activate your internet or whatever. The more we learn, the dumber we get. In a sense...

G

Doctors have their place, homeopathics have their place (if they actually do what they say, that is), and keeping your body healthy on a day to day basis has it's place

someone I know got shingles. they are the type that avoids doctors at all costs and relies on homeopathic stuff.

well, it eventually spread to the eye. then the person let it go a little more. finally, when the eye got painful, swollen, and blurred, they went to the doctor.

they recieved antivirals and antiviral drops. only problem was, the person waited so long, that the antivirals were no longer as effective as they could have been if the person had gotten ontop of the problem before.

antivirals are proven to be effective and necessary for shingles of the eye, and if not given, can allow the eye to go permanently blurred.

the person healed eventually, but the eye is still slightly blurry.

that's a case where homeopathics would be next to worthless. i would not trust 100% homeopathic remedy to fix such a sever problem. i would however use them as supplement.

for other stuff, i dunno.

you have to look at it on a case by case basis. some doctors are right, some are wrong. sometimes diagnosis is clear, sometimes it is not. regardless, doctors do have training and can be helpful. as they are only human, they do make mistakes and are not always helpful.

a lot of homeopathic stuff is not tested and not proven and a lot of it is myth at this point. unfortunately this is because of groups like the FDA, etc.

before i can answer your question though, what's a "self-healer?"

guineapig

Veteran
Breakdown of the family structure combined with the rise of mass media with a dash of the pharmaceuticalization of America......

there is a book called "The Synthetic Subversion" that explains it better than i ever could.....

I can't decide whether or not the Hurricane Katrina situation fits in with the topic of this thread.....perhaps.....

We'll see what happens when oil hits 100 dollars a barrel.....may you live in interesting times!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Lofty

i'm a great believer in food, real food thats not been altered, messed with, processed, chemicals added and all the health benfits removed or destroyed.

there is a really good ebook about food and how it works on the body at a cellula level but i dont know where to get it.

we are made of food and our minds are much stronger than we know, however our bodies are battling against all the negitive crap we eat.

we know so little about ourselves yet and all the plants that can help.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
before i can answer your question though, what's a "self-healer?"
That's the best I could sum up treating oneself when ill, i.e "self-treater", or as you put it, "self-healer".

And I didn't mean to imply something like shingles was a DIY deal, I ment less serious ills like coughs, colds, the flu, etc.... I dunno, it just seems like this quick-fix society of ours doesn't even want to take care of ourselves when it's well within our abilities anymore.... It's kinda sad, when you think about it.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Lofty, the best food I've ever eaten comes from the simple farmer's market, organic & non-organic markets alike. The biggest, most plump oranges, the juiciest watermelons, the freshest, tastiest veggies, etc. The crap in the grocery stores pale in comparison.

G

well i guess what you are saying is why do people use stuff like nyquil and tylenol?

i see a lot use it for normal crap like sickeness. i dont use it. i only use tylenol if my fever goes above 101 or so usually. i can see how people would use it if they have a really bad headache but i dont get those. just stuff nose/sore throat and that to me does not warrant taking crap like sudafed/tylenol/nyquil.

ive found a lot of people don't respect their body enough and just put random crap in it off the shelves, probably because it's there and available at the time. but im not one to talk, shoving nasty crap [smoke] down my lungs every day...!

G

While I agree that the general populace is lazy, I don't think this is the cause. I think the push for non self medicating came mostly towards the end of "snake oil" productions. Many of these were opiate based and of course cured just about anything that ailed you. The problem was that America was addicted and I think the nation along with the monsterous help of Institutionalized medicine, decided that most of us can't be trusted to take the "good drugs" as they are needed. With the change of times and social structure it has become frowned upon to medicate yourself as this has become synonymous with illicit drug use! Then add to that the stygmas of organic/natural oriented people as being goofball hippies. The encouragement never really stood a good chance since the early 20th century.
Who could forget our gatekeeper, Bendover and Taekit Pharmaceuticals Co. If your shit is the plumber's bread N butter then your ill is our will, so said the pharm giant. It's not just medicine, it's everything take away the DIY and all you have left are professioonals who do it for a dollar. Can you fix your own car anymore? Ask your kids what they want for dinner and I am willing to bet it's nothing you make at home. Nobody is encouraged by commercializm to do it their damn self.

Bendover n' Taekit Pharmaceuticals Corporation
"Your ill is our will"

J.

BTW, exposing yourself intentionally to pathogens dramatically increases your ability to fight it without medications. Make your immune system fight it's own battle and intervene only when necessary. I'm not a doctor but it works for me.

Last edited:

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Pyrex said:
While I agree that the general populace is lazy, I don't think this is the cause. I think the push for non self medicating came mostly towards the end of "snake oil" productions. Many of these were opiate based and of course cured just about anything that ailed you. The problem was that America was addicted and I think the nation along with the monsterous help of Institutionalized medicine, decided that most of us can't be trusted to take the "good drugs" as they are needed. With the change of times and social structure it has become frowned upon to medicate yourself as this has become synonymous with illicit drug use! Then add to that the stygmas of organic/natural oriented people as being goofball hippies. The encouragement never really stood a good chance since the early 20th century.
Who could forget our gatekeeper, Bendover and Taekit Pharmaceuticals Co. If your shit is the plumber's bread N butter then your ill is our will, so said the pharm giant. It's not just medicine, it's everything take away the DIY and all you have left are professioonals who do it for a dollar. Can you fix your own car anymore? Ask your kids what they want for dinner and I am willing to bet it's nothing you make at home. Nobody is encouraged by commercializm to do it their damn self.

"Your ill is our will"

Very well said, that's the kind of stuff I was having trouble wording.

Lofty

wen i get to work tomos i'll try to put a copy of that book on the thread, dont know if that can b don but i'll try.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pyrex said:

"Your ill is our will"

J.

BTW, exposing yourself intentionally to pathogens dramatically increases your ability to fight it without medications. Make your immune system fight it's own battle and intervene only when necessary. I'm not a doctor but it works for me.
Agreed. But I can fix my own car. And it's a 2003. And no, I'm not a mechanic. But, IMO, cars today are easier to work on than ever before. In the old days, you had to know a lot about cars to get one to run, and you had to know a boatload more to get it to run well. Today's cars can tell you what's wrong with it, and then it's simply swapping out the bad part for a new part.

/hijaking of thread

H

Hal

Nikijad4210 said:
Why is it we're encouraged to know ourselves mentally, but not to know our bodies?
I'm well-aware there's certain things only folks with extensive knowledge can help out with, but the simple shit, like flus, colds---Why is it frowned upon & discouraged to learn to treat your own ills? Why mock those who do that?
Even though the natural healthcare routes are being traversed more and more frequently these days, folks still seem to feel the need to look down their noses disapprovingly at "self-treaters." Why? Since when is taking care of yourself all-around a bad thing?
Why are we accepting the push to stop taking care of ourselves, to let others do it? Is it collective laziness? Is it the bleating sheep mentality?
Why do we allow medicines to be pushed when their side effects are worse than the ill(s) they treat? Why don't we question this? Why don't we reject this?
Why are we so willing to turn ourselves and the care of such, our entire sense of self from mental aspects to health, over to complete strangers who know nothing of us on any level?? Do we have a collective unconcious need to be lead around by the proverbial reigns?

Have humans lost all sense of self-sufficiency?

Sorry, that's a little hard to put into words, but I hope you get the gist of it.....

ADVERTISING...marketing, etc.

If you don't think this ever-present fact of our modern lives is having an incredibly HUGE impact on most of us, then you aren't seeing the whole picture. Why do you think that the pharmaceutical industry spends HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars on advertising each year? That money, combined with the latest social and psychological research, has provided a treasure map to our inner desires for the corporations who now shape our lives.

I hate it...and I don't know what the answer is.

VictoryGardener

holy hell
I think we are in a permanant comfort zone.. some things are wrong, and everyone bitches about it like a Jewish mother in law, but nobody EVER does anything about it

many years ago, we couldn't be lazy (americans) but now, we can easily be lazy and still make enough dough to pay the car payments... I pity this and the next generation of young kids.. I really do
the only "outside" they see is through the window while they sit on their fat asses playing xbox... kids have it amazingly easy these days.. 1000 channels on the tv, cell phones, HDTV, video games, kids channels, and now they have the audacity to tell us THEY'RE BORED!!!!

Last edited:

marx2k

Veteran
If people don't respect their bodies enough to NOT stuff them daily with MOuntain Dew, Combos, Hot Pockets, Red Bull, Burger King, etc, they will NOT respect their bodies enough to learn to heal themselves.

If you rely on corporations to provide you substandard food and drink, you will rely on corporations and the doctors working for them to provide you with substandard healing and medicine.

Sitting in the break room at work and watching how and what people eat/drink is always pretty nasty.

I am not religious, but your body is a temple. Not one you want to pay someone else to maintain the upkeep on.

G

I think in the United States the problems start with people depending on the government to solve all their problems. They are like children of the state. They dont think or act for themselves they depend on the State to take care of it.
JMO