What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds from regular female and a feminized one.

Pooshec

Hello All,

I would welcome some advice from someone experienced please on following thing.

I got one ,,regular'' Lebanese female plant and the other is Afghan Kush female from feminised seed. The plan is to get feminised seeds by crossing the two, although I am not certain which of below will be a better approach, if you could help me shed some light on this, much apprciated (by better I mean the resulting seed will be less genetically messed up, less prone to herming, bit more homogeneous hopefully ?).

1. Using CS to get pollen on ,,regular'' Lebanese female and pollinate femized Kush female with it

or

2. Using CS to get pollen on femized Kush female and use it to pollinate ,,regular'' Lebanese female ?

Will there be much difference in the seed resulting from method 1 and 2 ?

Also, what kind of seed I may expect in the event of selfing the chosen pollen donor in both cases ?

Any thoughts much appreciated. Stay safe and many thanks !

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Feminized seeds come from feminized pollen.

The only way to make it is to reverse a female plant to grow male pollen sacks. The link for using STS is in my signature. :) It's a VERY simple and easy process. Yes, CS also works. :)

Welcome to ICMag!! :D

Pooshec

Hi DC,

Many thanks for the answer. Yes, am aware that femized seeds result from pollinating with feminized pollen. Very nice write up on STS by the way.

Having two females available I would like to turn one of them to get feminized pollen and pollinate other to produce feminized seeds. The question is what would be more advisable aaproach here :

Turning female Afghan Kush which was grown from femized seed from WOS and use that pollen to pollinate Lebanese female grown from regular seed from RSC or other way around ?

Both strains are genetically pretty solid Indicas to my knowledge, unlikely prone to herming caused by environmental stress. Many thanks for the input.

Mayhem84

Yh he means take pollen from each female a and make the cross both ways to see which gives most desired results.
Lebanese x Afghan kush
Afghan kush x Lebanese

Pooshec

Yeah, that's the point exactly, I got two plants only, so I have to decide which one becomes pollen donor. Would be great to try both ways crossing with more plants available and see the outcome, but I don't have that luxury at present (it could be done theoretically, but rather difficult to avoid mixed pollen, in particular with just one box at disposal). Hence would like to find out what is better from purely genetical point of view - I guess CSing ,,natural'' female (Lebanese) might be better to avoid too much mess in genetic make up of resulting seed...? Just a thought.

Big Nasty

You can use clones of both.I think the dominance of the genetic plays a huge role in these crosses.
Anyway i crossed two feminized individual from the same seed pack,very different plants,with a third feminized reversed plant:the reversed plant had more influence on one and less on the other,just 1 seed was found in the buds,hope it helps.

zif

Veteran
Flip a coin. There's no reason to expect any difference.

If the plant you land on is tough to reverse, then reverse the other.

Simple as that.

Pooshec

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm bit limited by time and resources at the moment, but will try to make an additional effort with clones. I was after a columnar pheno from Lebanese side ideally, got a sphere shaped one instead, oh well. The original plan was to reverse one whole plant completely, but I keep them both in veg to this day, so still can preserve some cuttings if desired. Definitely makes sense to do that. Well, I think I'll go with CSing Lebanese then first and see what happens (unless somebody pops in meanwhile saying it's definitely better to get bananas on Kush). Stay safe.